Asteroid to Miss us by 15 Minutes

Mr. Not

"An asteroid is coming out way. Is this an effect of global warning or just a historic occasion?"

I can't facepalm harder.

And I am just waiting for someone to use this as some poor basis against climate science... I'm wondering if CNN intentionally had her ask this to form a sort of depiction of pseudo science in relation to the theory... There's no way the even half the viewers are this scientifically ignorant, is there?

"An asteroid is coming out way. Is this an effect of global warning or just a historic occasion?"

I can't facepalm harder.

And I am just waiting for someone to use this as some poor basis against climate science... I'm wondering if CNN intentionally had her ask this to form a sort of depiction of pseudo science in relation to the theory... There's no way the even half the viewers are this scientifically ignorant, is there?

I wouldn't put it passed CNN for doing such a thing. They should show some of the calculations involved in predicting this thing's trajectory, it will make your head spin. Bill Nye didn't help by sensationalizing the meteorite either. We've known about this thing for some time and while it is coming very very close, meteors pass by Earth quite often if you consider the vastness of space.

Let's try to keep discussion off of politics though. This isn't the place for pointing out how ignorant one has to be to say such a thing.

There's no way the even half the viewers are this scientifically ignorant, is there?

We live in a scientifically illiterate society (20% of Americans think the sun orbits the earth), and mainstream media coverage is restricted to the most sensationalistic stories. Don't expect to learn much from a four minute piece on CNN, or the anchor to be very knowledgeable about the subject.

There's no way the even half the viewers are this scientifically ignorant, is there?

We live in a scientifically illiterate society (20% of Americans think the sun orbits the earth), and mainstream media coverage is restricted to the most sensationalistic stories. Don't expect to learn much from a four minute piece on CNN, or the anchor to be very knowledgeable about the subject.

1 in 5 Americans think the sun orbits the earth? Where did they take that survey? West Virginia?

• Like 3

We do learn from Bill Nye, the anchor gets in the way :LOL:

• Like 1

We do learn from Bill Nye, the anchor gets in the way :LOL:

Bill Nye was quite sensationalist in that report. No numbers to go by. Just comparisons without data and doomsday statements.

1 in 5 Americans think the sun orbits the earth? Where did they take that survey? West Virginia?

There's a reason MTV shot Buckwild there. :LOL:

Illiteracy thrives everywhere in this country.....especially where people don't give a damn about their schools.

I once dated a girl who thought that there are stars between the Earth and Moon.

Countless people think that human evolution means that apes "poofed" into human beings all at once. "Why are there still apes?" they ask.....

When there is a ring of refracted light around the full moon, people call radio stations to ask if the world is ending.

Countless more examples.......

We may be in the 21st century, but many haven't gotten the memo yet..... :doh: :doh:

Are we super sure this isn't some effect of Global Warming?

I'm fairly certain that global warming is wreaking havoc on my hemoroids. :rage:

Illiteracy thrives everywhere in this country.....especially where people don't give a damn about their schools.

I once dated a girl who thought that there are stars between the Earth and Moon.

Countless people think that human evolution means that apes "poofed" into human beings all at once. "Why are there still apes?" they ask.....

When there is a ring of refracted light around the full moon, people call radio stations to ask if the world is ending.

Countless more examples.......

We may be in the 21st century, but many haven't gotten the memo yet..... :doh: :doh:

My sister in law thinks that British Columbia is in the United States. :LOL:

Dennis Miller calls West Virginia "Darwin's waiting room". :)

Dennis Miller calls West Virginia "Darwin's waiting room". :)

Darwin: Ok come with me...you stand here... before the Ape

• Like 1

That is super close. :o A mere cat's whisker.

And, yes, stupidity tends to be rampant. I once had someone tell me that it is illegal to be known by and called by your middle name. :eh:

Stars between Sun and Moon? <everyone pause a moment and hear the song...> That would be, er, warm.

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 2

And, yes, stupidity tends to be rampant. I once had someone tell me that it is illegal to be known by and called by your middle name. :eh:

Stars between Sun and Moon? <everyone pause a moment and hear the song...> That would be, er, warm.

Stars between the sun and moon? That's crazy! Everyone knows they're all the same distance away.

I'm Brian Fellow!

• Like 1

Stars between the sun and moon? That's crazy! Everyone knows they're all the same distance away.

I'm Brian Fellow!

It's true. They are all set in a large dome that surrounds us. A larger bowl, as it were.

• Like 1

I'm Brian Fellow!

It's true. They are all set in a large dome that surrounds us. A larger bowl, as it were.

Oh no you dit-ent!!!

• Like 1

I'm Brian Fellow!

Oh no you dit-ent!!!

I couldn't help it. :blush:

• Like 1