Best double album ever?

Spiritinthesky

"Quadrophenia" for sure!

I listened to that, day and night, night and day, day in and day out, for years.

"Quadrophenia" - One of my all time top ten albums. Glad to finally meet another fan of it.

It's in my all-time top ten as well. In fact, if you're looking at the question from a perspective of the longevity and enduring intensity of my attachment to it, it might be my all-time Number One.

• Like 1

"Quadrophenia" for sure!

I listened to that, day and night, night and day, day in and day out, for years.

"Quadrophenia" - One of my all time top ten albums. Glad to finally meet another fan of it.

It's in my all-time top ten as well. In fact, if you're looking at the question from a perspective of the longevity and enduring intensity of my attachment to it, it might be my all-time Number One.

Me too. After the album came out, they did their Quadrophenia Tour (I think it was 1974). I couldn't wait to see them so I could hear them do this album. But, alas!!! In those days, they just didn't have the technology they do today, and the album just didn't translate well into live performance material. I was so disappointed.

Quadrophenia beats Tommy hands down :finbar: .

Edited by Lorraine

"Is it me for a moment - for a moment - for a moment - for a moment

Bell boy, bell boy, bell boy

Love reign over me

Can you see the real me, can ya, can ya"

Isn't the above the way it started out? I haven't listened to it in about thirty years. No joke. This is another one I have to get someday soon.

OH GM....what memories. How I related to those songs.

"Is it me for a moment - for a moment - for a moment - for a moment

Bell boy, bell boy, bell boy

Love reign over me

Can you see the real me, can ya, can ya"

Isn't the above the way it started out? I haven't listened to it in about thirty years. No joke. This is another one I have to get someday soon.

OH GM....what memories. How I related to those songs.

It is indeed, along with ocean noises. "I Am The Sea."

I'm a little younger than you are and didn't get the opportunity to see Quadrophenia live (well, until this year, which is a whole other story), but the record was a great source of solace to me during some very difficult teen years. The other day I listened to it through headphones with my eyes closed the way I used to, and it still felt the same.

• Like 2

I was twenty when it came out (I think it was released in 1974 but I may be wrong), and I would never have gotten the album, but my friend said that I just had to, cause he knew I would love it. He was right. I wore the album out.

GM, you say you saw them do it in concert this year? How did it sound? I bet it was wonderful and everything I had hoped it would be and wasn't in 1974. I'd love to hear about it if you want to tell me.

I was twenty when it came out (I think it was released in 1974 but I may be wrong), and I would never have gotten the album, but my friend said that I just had to, cause he knew I would love it. He was right. I wore the album out.

GM, you say you saw them do it in concert this year? How did it sound? I bet it was wonderful and everything I had hoped it would be and wasn't in 1974. I'd love to hear about it if you want to tell me.

In the interests of not totally derailing this thread, I shall PM you about this soonish :)

Since we're doing live efforts...

Wings Over America. Simple math. At three discs, 50% better than other albums listed in this thread.

This album NEEDS to be REMASTERED and RERELEASED!

According to my sources, Paul McCartney's Archive Collection will resume in June with the deluxe reissue of his 1976 triple album live set, Wings Over America. The new collection will include a DVD of the 1980 film of the tour, Rockshow.

:7up: :ebert: :haz:

Wings Over America. Simple math. At three discs, 50% better than other albums listed in this thread.

According to my sources, Paul McCartney's Archive Collection will resume in June with the deluxe reissue of his 1976 triple album live set, Wings Over America. The new collection will include a DVD of the 1980 film of the tour, Rockshow.

:haz:

Oh and "The Wall"

:haz:

Oh and "The Wall"

The Wall "Discovery" edition remaster came out in 2011. And there's a deluxe "Experience" and super-deluxe "Immersion" remastered versions that came out last year.

We're including live albums? This thread just went from difficult to ludicrous!

Yeah, I would say live albums should not count. In many cases they're basically a greatest hits collection, only live. You could include quite a few "The Ultimate Collection" or "The Platinum Collection" CDs then.

I say it's limited to studio albums of new material.

I tend to agree with you EXCEPT for live albums of new material. Case in point: Roxy & Elsewhere by Zappa. All but 2 of the songs premiered on the album, and those 2 were heavily re-worked.

Absolutely! :goodone:

kudos to everyone who's mentioned albums other than quadrophenia, the wall, the white album and other ultra-popular well known albums. i always appreciate more obscure, less obvious titles in people's lists, not to say those aren't great worthy albums as well...
  • Like 1

The order isn't perfect, and things could move around, but these are more or less my faves in general order:

#1 - Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

#2 - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

#3 - Can - Tago Mago

#4 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

#5 - The Beatles - The White Album

#6 - Jehtro Tull - Living in the Past*

#7 - Amon Duul II - Dance of the Lemmings

#8 - Amon Duul II - Yeti

#9 - The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!

#10 - Jimi Hendrix - First Rays of the New Rising Sun

#11 - Astra - The Weirding

#12 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

#13 - The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

#14 - Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

#15 - Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

#16 - George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

#17 - The Who - Quadrophenia

#18 - Pink Floyd - The Wall

#19 - Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

#20 - Ozric Tentacles - Erpland

#21 - Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde

#22 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works - Volume 2

* I know that Living in the Past is technically a compilation, and it contains a couple of live tracks (Ummagumma contains half live tracks), but it contains a lot of songs that were never previously on a regular album of theirs, and, well, it just plain rocks, so there it is.

I'd like to add into this list Ya Ho Wa 13 - I'm Gonna Take You Home - I guess I'd stick that in there between #17 and #18, but it's so hard sometimes to really put things like this in order when the albums (or double albums as the case may be) are so drastically different. Saying it's better than The Wall is such a weird thing, and often my placements aren't due to any kind of objective standards of quality (if there even is such a thing), but more to the pragmatism of do i actually listen to this album more than this album. in reality, it's really like comparing apples and volkswagens.

Edited by rushgoober

I would definitely put Biffy Clyro's recently released Opposites up there as a strong contender here. A double album where every song is great - certainly not something that happens too often! Sounds very Rush influenced in places to my ears. Check out some samples of it here:

I would definitely put Biffy Clyro's recently released Opposites up there as a strong contender here. A double album where every song is great - certainly not something that happens too often! Sounds very Rush influenced in places to my ears. Check out some samples of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h2kvWh8Dis

i listened for a few minutes - didn't really hear anything rush-like. sounds like pretty straight-ahead average modern rock to me.