Is Pat Benatar metal?

The greatness of Pat Benatar  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Metal or Rock?

• Yeah—she was a metal
    • Nope—garden variety female rock star

I forgot who it was but someone on some hard rock countdown on VH1 Classic was talking about how Heartbreaker was able to be such a huge hit on the charts in spite of it's heavy sound due to Pat Benatar's voice. I think it was Dee Snider who said it, IIRC.

Metal or not, it rocks and Neil is such an underrated guitarist.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Her first 3 albums, "In the Heat of the Night", "Crimes of Passion", and "Precious Time" definitely have hard edge to them. Her fourth album "Get Nervous" added synthesizers (and someone to play them). After that, her music had less of an edge and more pop sounding.
  • Like 1

Her first 3 albums, "In the Heat of the Night", "Crimes of Passion", and "Precious Time" definitely have hard edge to them. Her fourth album "Get Nervous" added synthesizers (and someone to play them). After that, her music had less of an edge and more pop sounding.

That will do it.

• Like 1

Is she mental? No, just kind of crazy... Oh, "metal." Sorry, my mistake... No, not metal. But, the more important issue is whether or not she has the nicest chick bum in rock...

I say, "HELL YES!" Even now, at age, 50 something...

• Like 1

Metal? Hell no. I think she was a little more than your garden variety pop star though. I actually like some of her music.

Metal? Hell no. I think she was a little more than your garden variety pop star though. I actually like some of her music.

she could probably make you say her name...that's kinda metal right? She was really kicking some ass.

I was a big Pat Benatar fan before discovering Rush and I have her first four albums. Lyrically, Pat was good at being the jilted girl.
  • Like 1

Yeah she is. I discovered her in the 80s with the "Invincible" song. That and Heart's "Never" were my favourite songs for many months. "Long Suits Metal"!!!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: Heart had better hair, though. :drool:
  • Like 1

Is she mental? No, just kind of crazy... Oh, "metal." Sorry, my mistake... No, not metal. But, the more important issue is whether or not she has the nicest chick bum in rock...

I say, "HELL YES!" Even now, at age, 50 something...

I knew I wasn't the only one who misread the thread title..! :P

• Like 3

Not Metal. But she got the hard rock edge from her husband. I remember reading an interview where he talked about the Eddie influence. He definitkey had some 70s hard rock / metal going through him.

The solo at the end of Heartbreaker is great..starting st 2:40...

http://youtu.be/vy-QmgdUVTI

• Like 1

Her autobiography is pretty good. She was signed to Chrysalis Records in the 80s and she HATED the people and claimed they were very chauvinistic. She purposely made herself look unsexy for the cover of "Get Nervous", but they made her compromise a bit by putting on more makeup for the final edition. I think a lot of her angry songs were about her feelings towards record company executives.

I suppose it depends. Some people think that only bands that sound like they're in a race to get to the end of the song, or bands that sing about the joys of killing your mother, or bands whose lead vocalist sounds like Cookie Monster are "metal." If that's the criteria, she isn't. If Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, 70s and early 80s Rush are metal, and I think they are, then Pat's early work is metal. Like a lot of bands and performers who played harder music in the early 80s, the quality of her stuff went down as the decade wore on, but her ealy stuff is pretty heavy.

She tried her hand at blues in the early 90s. It's pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln-XgVifUQ0

• Like 1

I suppose it depends. Some people think that only bands that sound like they're in a race to get to the end of the song, or bands that sing about the joys of killing your mother, or bands whose lead vocalist sounds like Cookie Monster are "metal." If that's the criteria, she isn't. If Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, 70s and early 80s Rush are metal, and I think they are, then Pat's early work is metal. Like a lot of bands and performers who played harder music in the early 80s, the quality of her stuff went down as the decade wore on, but her ealy stuff is pretty heavy.

I believe you are right my man!!! She was ferocious early on

Pat and Neil are such a great songwriting team...complex arrangements, profound emotion, and musically curious.

Greatest female rock voice, but not metal. Definitely edgy. Not exactly "garden variety" as is put in this poll. Took what Ann Wilson of Heart did and added MORE balls. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2