goose

Well, I suppose we should have a fresh 2013 thread for the few of us that like to talk golf. The season is off to an odd start, with Woods making news by first being DQ's for an illegal drop in Dubai, the coming out and kicking butt at Torrey Pines.

Phil's mediocre golf hasn't kept him out of the headlines, either. He kicked off the year by making a bold political statement, and later apologizing for it.

Finally, after being previewed as the new Golden Boy of Nike, Rory McIlroy promptly missed the cut at Dubai.

The field is as deep as it's ever been, so who are you picking to come out on top this year?

Well, I suppose we should have a fresh 2013 thread for the few of us that like to talk golf. The season is off to an odd start, with Woods making news by first being DQ's for an illegal drop in Dubai, the coming out and kicking butt at Torrey Pines.

Phil's mediocre golf hasn't kept him out of the headlines, either. He kicked off the year by making a bold political statement, and later apologizing for it.

Finally, after being previewed as the new Golden Boy of Nike, Rory McIlroy promptly missed the cut at Dubai.

The field is as deep as it's ever been, so who are you picking to come out on top this year?

I'm a big time PGA fan, here are some of my thoughts.

Woods missing the cut last week and then winning this week may be a sign that he'll continue to be inconsistent this year. He grew up playing Torrey Pines, so that advantage may have been what helped him win this week.

Lefty is always my number 1 hope at the U.S. Open to win that elusive major, I hope he can pick up his game and play better.

I like Rory and always cheer for him. I want to see him continue to be a phenom, and not loose momentum because of the Nike club change or chasing his tennis sweetheart around the world.

I'll be cheering for Keegan Bradley, Matt Kuchar, Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, and Grahame McDowell amongst others. I also think Ian Poulter and Luke Donald will continue to be majorless. They seem to save their A game for the Ryder Cup.

Finally, even though it's not until 2014, I love that Tom Watson is the next Ryder Cup captain - great move.

Tiger was in San Diego Today? I was wondering what that smell coming off the ocean was -

Just kiddin - He lit it up this week - He owns Torrey Pines - Almost went today but my boss gave me a rush job at the last moment :rage:

It's going to be a great year for golf. Lots of guys are playing well and some new talent to contend with.

Nice to see Tiger get a win today...number 75 for him. I think he will grab a few more wins this year and possibly win the cup, if he can play like he did this weekend.

-Rory will be strong and shouldn't take him much time to dial-in the new Nike gear.

-Lefty will struggle most of the year.

-Snedeker will win some and consistently finish top 10.

-Fowler will win one and be tough.

-Kaymer will be really tough this year. I predict he will win the WGC in Tucson in 3 weeks.

-Dustin Johnson should win a few events and finish top 10 mostly.

I'll be at the Phoenix Open this weekend and in Tucson for the WGC.

It's going to be a great year for golf. Lots of guys are playing well and some new talent to contend with.

Nice to see Tiger get a win today...number 75 for him. I think he will grab a few more wins this year and possibly win the cup, if he can play like he did this weekend.

-Rory will be strong and shouldn't take him much time to dial-in the new Nike gear.

-Kaymer will be really tough this year. I predict he will win the WGC in Tucson in 3 weeks.

Phil won't win any majors but he'll still win 2 to 3 and be top ten money list - in fact it's probably best he doesn't win a ton of money livin' in good ole' Calif. :doh:

I'll look or you!

I envy you... please give reports.

You gotta love the 16th hole at the Phoenix Open. I wish this atmosphere was more widespread in golf - you get to boo if you like, you can be noisy, caddies running to the tee, etc.

Glad to see Butch Harmon ironed out Leftie's woes - 11 under and missing 59 by 1 putt is a good improvement from last week. Can he keep it going for 4 rounds?

I envy you... please give reports.

You gotta love the 16th hole at the Phoenix Open. I wish this atmosphere was more widespread in golf - you get to boo if you like, you can be noisy, caddies running to the tee, etc.

Glad to see Butch Harmon ironed out Leftie's woes - 11 under and missing 59 by 1 putt is a good improvement from last week. Can he keep it going for 4 rounds?

240? I'll take the over. I assume that was an offer for a bet?

Watched a bit of the Garbage Open today. Can'y imagine what it's like to hit the green and still be 30 yards away from the cup. I read a pice by Pete Dye recently and he was critical of the huge modern greens. Unplayable by the likes of us...but I digress.

The crowd today was in raucous form. A fun-loving guy like Phil thrives on it. It was interesting to see others stagger a bit. Phil came in at an amazing 24-under...a six-stroke lead.

How would you like to be Snedcker? Shoot -7, -5, -6 and be out of it? :D

Edited by goose

Looks like Lefty shot his tax bracket today.

:laughing guy:

Funny game. Shoot 60 and you're pissed about the one that didn't frop for a 59!

Yeah, I know how he feels. Those 59s are SO elusive.

I usually just count to ten, try to shrug it off and head for the back nine.

• Like 1

Looks like Lefty shot his tax bracket today.

:laughing guy:

Funny game. Shoot 60 and you're pissed about the one that didn't frop for a 59!

Apparently in the golfing universe, shooting a 59 is like pitching a perfect game in baseball. Give up just one wimpy infield hit, and it's just another win..... :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

But that last putt sure did put Mickelson thru Hell....

Regarding the score of 59...

The record for the lowest 18-hole score in an official PGA Tour round 59. This score has been posted five times in tour history: (Only three times on a par 72 course)

• Al Geiberger: 1977 Memphis Classic (29-30), Colonial Country Club (par 72)
  • Chip Beck: 1991 Las Vegas Invitational (30-29), Sunrise Golf Club (par 72)
  • David Duval: 1999 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic (31-28), PGA West (Palmer Course) (par 72)

Chalk up a win for Phil the Thrill Mickelson at the Waste Management. His birdie putt on the 7th was awesome. I loved watching this tournament - the fans, the 16th hole, the birdie fest that it was - very entertaining. Onto Pebble Beach, where Lefty will try to defend as he is the reigning champion.
  • Like 1

Chalk up a win for Phil the Thrill Mickelson at the Waste Management. His birdie putt on the 7th was awesome. I loved watching this tournament - the fans, the 16th hole, the birdie fest that it was - very entertaining. Onto Pebble Beach, where Lefty will try to defend as he is the reigning champion.

If I could wave my magic wand, I would give Mickelson a huge dose of extra golf Force in all the Majors. I want to see him win the Grand Slam (perhaps more than once) and have the PGA World go nuts with joy over him. :laughing guy: :laughing guy: Having him make the PGA world forget about Mr. Woods would be an extra bonus..... :sundog: :sundog:

Regarding the score of 59...

The record for the lowest 18-hole score in an official PGA Tour round 59. This score has been posted five times in tour history: (Only three times on a par 72 course)

• Al Geiberger: 1977 Memphis Classic (29-30), Colonial Country Club (par 72)
  • Chip Beck: 1991 Las Vegas Invitational (30-29), Sunrise Golf Club (par 72)
  • David Duval: 1999 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic (31-28), PGA West (Palmer Course) (par 72)

Add Annika Sorenstam of the LPGA, who shot 13 under 59 in 2001 Moon Valley CC. (she played 2 rounds on the PGA once, so I'll mention her in this PGA thread)

• Like 1

If I could wave my magic wand, I would give Mickelson a huge dose of extra golf Force in all the Majors. I want to see him win the Grand Slam (perhaps more than once) and have the PGA World go nuts with joy over him. :laughing guy: :laughing guy: Having him make the PGA world forget about Mr. Woods would be an extra bonus..... :sundog: :sundog:

will. never. happen.

Good win for nice guy Brandt Snedeker at the A T & T Pebble Beach tournament. He is hot right now (2 second place finishes followed by a win in his last 3 outings). I hope he wins a major this year. Phil was running on fumes this week (his fourth tournament in a row) and did not contend. I was happy to see Retief 'the Goose' Goosen finish in the top 10 as this was his first PGA tournament since serious back surgery last August.

For this winter weary Canadian, it was nice to watch the tournament just to see some warmer weather. And, you can't beat the scenery at Pebble Beach.

will. never. happen.

Must you ruin my silly little fantasy? How dare you drag me back into real life...... :rage: :rage: :P

will. never. happen.

Must you ruin my silly little fantasy? How dare you drag me back into real life...... :rage: :rage: :P

:D

I'm ready for both Tiger and Phil to ride off into the sunset. Plenty of great players to take their place. With those two playing we hardly get to see the other guys...