Would You Rush Fanatics Ever Let The Boys Bring In A Younger Vocalist To Sing All Of The Old Stuff?

RUSHHEAD666

They wouldn't want it. And I wouldn't either. In order for them to be billed as Rush the VOICE of Rush must be singing.

The only way another vocalist would be brought in would be if not all 3 members were onstage [read as: NOT truly Rush]...i.e. Lifeson and Lee playing in the Lifeson's Orbit Room with the house drummer playing and a 2nd guitarist or guest vocalist singing [even in that kind of scenario that person probably would be singing along with Geddy].

I would not pay a Dime to see this
  • Like 1

They wouldn't want it. And I wouldn't either. In order for them to be billed as Rush the VOICE of Rush must be singing.

The only way another vocalist would be brought in would be if not all 3 members were onstage [read as: NOT truly Rush]...i.e. Lifeson and Lee playing in the Lifeson's Orbit Room with the house drummer playing and a 2nd guitarist or guest vocalist singing [even in that kind of scenario that person probably would be singing along with Geddy].

I think there has been some minor confusion since my first post. I merely suggested that the boys (the three of them) bring in a vocalist to sing the old stuff that Geddy can't hit anymore. Geddy would be on stage during the entire show. He would still sing most of the songs!!

I think there has been some minor confusion since my first post. I merely suggested that the boys (the three of them) bring in a vocalist to sing the old stuff that Geddy can't hit anymore. Geddy would be on stage during the entire show. He would still sing most of the songs!!

Earl,

Nope, no confusion here...Sorry! No new vocalist!! Just relax, and go with the flow....80's stuff & CA rocks!!!

:codger: (getting there....)

:haz: :rush: :rush: :haz:

Earl,

Nope, no confusion here...Sorry! No new vocalist!! Just relax, and go with the flow....80's stuff & CA rocks!!!

Hahaha! I hear ya! It's all good! Geddy does one hell of a job still and I loved the CA setlist! You know me, just wishing for some real old stuff still.

I would die to hear the first side of "Hemispheres" live. I missed in 78! I was only 10!!!!!

I know my friend..... "it is what it is, whatever, it is what it is forever."

Silly and insane topic. The boys have had a glorious career and are about to ride off into the sunset in the next few years. As it should be. Edited by Tick

Silly and insane topic. The boys have had a glorious career and are about to ride off into the sunset in the next few years. As it should be.

:musicnote: Tick, Tick Tick is magic! You know-ohhh, never believe it's not soooo! He's magic, you know-ohhhh, never believe it's not soooo!

He's never missed a bake...

His face is full of cake...

leaning on his oven in the morrrrrning...

Roll recipe in his head

He'll be baking when he's dead

His kids love his cooking and they're fawning

Yo Yo Yo Tick's magic! you know-ohhhh, never believe he's no rolls, he's magic, you know-ohhhh, baking is one of his goals

Dreaming of a bake

Even when he's not awake

Baking on his pillow in the morrrrrning

Rolls or cream cake

pie or swim the lake

crazy man is baking on the lawn mower

Ticky's mind is magic, it's like poe-ohhh, Edgar Allan Poe, It's Magic, his mind is like Lovecraft and Poe, never believe it's not so, :musicnote:

Silly and insane topic. The boys have had a glorious career and are about to ride off into the sunset in the next few years. As it should be.

:musicnote: Tick, Tick Tick is magic! You know-ohhh, never believe it's not soooo! He's magic, you know-ohhhh, never believe it's not soooo!

Roll recipe in his head

Yo Yo Yo Tick's magic! you know-ohhhh, never believe he's no rolls, he's magic, you know-ohhhh, baking is one of his goals

Dreaming of a bake

Even when he's not awake

Rolls or cream cake

pie or swim the lake

Ticky's mind is magic, it's like poe-ohhh, Edgar Allan Poe, It's Magic, his mind is like Lovecraft and Poe, never believe it's not so, :musicnote:

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Pat! I have tears in my eyes!

Absolutely Classic!

You Rule!

Earl,

Hahaha! I hear ya! It's all good! Geddy does one hell of a job still and I loved the CA setlist! You know me, just wishing for some real old stuff still.

I would die to hear the first side of "Hemispheres" live. I missed in 78! I was only 10!!!!!

Hey Earl,

Well, I was 9 in '78 so we are almost the same age!...I don't want Geddy to strain himself vocally by singing that high stuff anymore so I'm okay with the setlist as is. Not worth it!! The two CA shows were awesome! Waiting for more dates!!! :cheers:

Earl,

Hey Earl,

Well, I was 9 in '78 so we are almost the same age!...I don't want Geddy to strain himself vocally by singing that high stuff anymore so I'm okay with the setlist as is. Not worth it!! The two CA shows were awesome! Waiting for more dates!!! :cheers:

That's totally cool! I understand my dear! The four CA shows I saw were fantastic!!! I just LOVE the old stuff and I miss it! 2112 was a fantastic way to end the show! A lot better than that reggae Working Man stuff!!!

Can't wait for the summer! Hoping to hit four shows to get to 60!

Cheers!

RUSH FOREVER!

(No matter what I type on here!)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Earl,

Hey Earl,

That's totally cool! I understand my dear! The four CA shows I saw were fantastic!!! I just LOVE the old stuff and I miss it! 2112 was a fantastic way to end the show! A lot better than that reggae Working Man stuff!!!

Can't wait for the summer! Hoping to hit four shows to get to 60!

Cheers!

RUSH FOREVER!

(No matter what I type on here!)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

60 shows? Wow, my next one will be 3 and counting!!! I've been a fan since '80 so I got some serious making up to do in regard to Rush shows. Due to family issues/financial situation/relocations, etc., I never really got settled in one place until recently. Finally anchored in WI!! Hey, Better late than never, right?

Roll recipe in his head

Dreaming of a bake

Even when he's not awake

Rolls or cream cake

pie or swim the lake

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Pat! I have tears in my eyes!

Absolutely Classic!

You Rule!

:cheers: :NP: :guitar: :hi:

I'd say no Earl. At that point they become a tribute band. I would hope they'd pack it in first.

While true, what if they replaced Geddy with Michael Anthony. He used to do some crazy high stuff so he could probably handle Anthem or Best I Can. While we're at it, why not get EVH to play guitar on some of Alex's old stuff. Of course, MA was only backup so we'll find someone to sing lead vocal. Diamond Dave is between gigs. This is really starting to shape up. All we need is a drummer. Someone of Neil's equal. Of course, it was older material so he couldn't swing like he does now. You know what? I just bet Alex Van Halen would love to do it. He's also between gigs. Sure he's not Neil, but it's not Geddy or Alex either, so we're cool.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

:LOL:

You and I are both bass players. We both know Michael Anthony, while essential to the Van Halen sound (IMO) with his harmonies, couldn't handle the bass lines.

But what if they brought in Ann Wilson? She showed she can still handle Plant's vocals. Gene Simmons did call them Canadian Zeppelin. And if Alex isn't OK with that, maybe Ann's sister could sit in. She's a pretty good guitarist.

Now we're on to something.

That's something that passes the ear test with me...Ann Wilson would kick ass with the boys. excellent idea my man!

This idea has crossed my mind many times but as soon as I put any serious thought into it I realize it would never happen. For much of the same reason they decided against an extra keyboard player in the 80's.

Rush is Ged, Alex and Neil.

Ged, Alex and Neil are Rush.

If this ever changes you can take it as the first sign of the apocalypse because no other version of Rush can exist in this universe!!

I'd say no Earl. At that point they become a tribute band. I would hope they'd pack it in first.

While true, what if they replaced Geddy with Michael Anthony. He used to do some crazy high stuff so he could probably handle Anthem or Best I Can. While we're at it, why not get EVH to play guitar on some of Alex's old stuff. Of course, MA was only backup so we'll find someone to sing lead vocal. Diamond Dave is between gigs. This is really starting to shape up. All we need is a drummer. Someone of Neil's equal. Of course, it was older material so he couldn't swing like he does now. You know what? I just bet Alex Van Halen would love to do it. He's also between gigs. Sure he's not Neil, but it's not Geddy or Alex either, so we're cool.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

:LOL:

You and I are both bass players. We both know Michael Anthony, while essential to the Van Halen sound (IMO) with his harmonies, couldn't handle the bass lines.

But what if they brought in Ann Wilson? She showed she can still handle Plant's vocals. Gene Simmons did call them Canadian Zeppelin. And if Alex isn't OK with that, maybe Ann's sister could sit in. She's a pretty good guitarist.

Now we're on to something.

That's something that passes the ear test with me...Ann Wilson would kick ass with the boys. excellent idea my man!

Rush will play the entire first album all the way through with Ann on vocals.

I would absolutely LOVE IT!

Perhaps Ann will sing with Rush at the Induction Ceremony!!

Time for me to contribute my 2 cents worth to this conversation.

Do I think the guys would ever bring in somebody to help with the vocals on the older songs? No way. Wont happen.

If they did, do I think they would play more of their 70's material - yes, that would be the main reason for doing it.

Would it be insult to Geddy? No. It would just be realistic that he can't handle those songs anymore, on a nightly basis. Plus it would his choice as much as Neil and Alex's choice.

Would it cheapen the product? That all depends on how its done. Cant say till I see the final product. But if they did it, I would trust the guys to do a good job with it and let them prove that theory wrong. Much more often than not they get stuff right. This late in the careers to be put out S & A and then CA are 2 good examples of that. Of course it could be the equivalent of putting out another VT - but if they want to try it I would go see them. If it turned out to be a VT equivalent, well so be. But if it turns out to be a S & A or CA equivalent well then it might be a very good experience. I would be willing to take a chance on it if they are.

Would i want to see it? No. But like I said, if they guys wanted to try it - I would go see it and hope its a CA and not a VT.

Lastly a few thoughts about Ann Wilson. Not that I think that she and the guys would ever actually team up (other than at the Induction Ceremony - and I think it more likely that, if Mr. Page, Mr. Plant & John Paul-Jones are at the ceremony they will wind up teaming up with the Wilson sisters), but if they did team up that would be very interesting. Wont happen but it would be very interesting. Not only can she handle Plants vocals but she can also do a very good job with Roger Daltry's vocals. She has one hell of a voice.

Geddy's vocals are not a liability for the band. Quite the contrary - the strength of his voice is one of the main reasons for their longetivity.

His vocals on CA are fantastic. His voice on this tour was in top form - he is still able to pull off a vast majority of their catalogue while recognizing his limits.

He hasn't been able to screech out the 70's stuff since most of us where kids.

This is a non-issue.

Edited by eshine
  • Like 1

Geddy's vocals are not a liability for the band. Quite the contrary - the strength of his voice is one of the main reasons for their longetivity.

His vocals on CA are fantastic. His voice on this tour was in top form - he is still able to pull off a vast majority of their catalogue while recognizing his limits.

He hasn't been able to screech out the 70's stuff since most of us where kids.

This is a non-issue.

:goodone:

Ian Anderson actually did this last year when he took Thick as a Brick 1 and 2 out on tour. He had a younger guy do a lot of the stuff that he couldn't do quite as well anymore.

Granted, there were lots of reasons for having the guy out there in general: there were certain flute parts Ian couldn't play due to singing and he didn't want to pipe them in, so having another vocalist allowed him actually to play those parts. Plus this guy did some thearical stuff around stage. And I guess the biggest reason it didn't feel like sacrilege (in and of itself; i.e., no Martin Barre notwithstanding) is b/c it wasn't actually a Tull tour; it was Ian taking a solo band out (though 2 of them are in Tull now) to promote Thick as a Brick 2.

So yeah, while obviously the Ian Anderson case definitely had its caveats that made it more "acceptable," it still was the 1st thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread.

(And FWIW, I saw the TaaB show in Akron, and it kicked all kinds of butt. :) )