Star Trek: Into Darkness

USB Connector

I really dislike the new Star Trek movies because they're called "Star Trek". The movies themselves are entertaining popcorn movies; I actually do enjoy them and I think they would be cool as stand alone ideas. However, I dislike the fact that it is related to Star Trek. Star Trek is not about non-stop action and "space bad guys". There's a lot more going on in the older series than what is shown in the movies, and for that reason it is hard for me to enjoy this new generation of "Star Trek".

I really dislike the new Star Trek movies because they're called "Star Trek". The movies themselves are entertaining popcorn movies; I actually do enjoy them and I think they would be cool as stand alone ideas. However, I dislike the fact that it is related to Star Trek. Star Trek is not about non-stop action and "space bad guys". There's a lot more going on in the older series than what is shown in the movies, and for that reason it is hard for me to enjoy this new generation of "Star Trek".

I see your point and I agree. I would love to see a reboot of the series on TV so they could build the stories every week. One of my favourite ST movies is the first one. Gasp! Yes, I know it ran long (it didn't really need to take 45 minutes to traverse the cloud, did it?) but I think that it was truest to Roddenberry's vision of Trek. JMO.

Star Trek is not about non-stop action and "space bad guys". There's a lot more going on in the older series than what is shown in the movies, and for that reason it is hard for me to enjoy this new generation of "Star Trek".

Star Trek is about action, with some social/political ideas mixed in. Gene Roddenbury said himself that the original series was like "Wagon Train", but in outer space....a space Western, so to speak. He wanted the show to be entertaining and thought-provoking....but not too preachy about current issues.

But I agree with you about the "non-stop" action. There has to be breaks in the action, if only to allow the audience to catch their breath. There has to be character development as well as intimate moments. Other wise, the audience won't really care about the characters and what happens to them.

I see your point and I agree. I would love to see a reboot of the series on TV so they could build the stories every week. One of my favourite ST movies is the first one. Gasp! Yes, I know it ran long (it didn't really need to take 45 minutes to traverse the cloud, did it?) but I think that it was truest to Roddenberry's vision of Trek. JMO.

Funny enough that's NOT Roddenberry's version of Star Trek. He wanted space battles, they just didn't have the budget for it. His vision was political commentary + action using a space version of the UN that actually worked. He gave his blessing to DS9 when it was originally pitched because it was close to what he wanted to achieve. I'd have to agree that it would be better of as a show because you'd have much more plot development but beggars can't be choosers.

Star Trek is not about non-stop action and "space bad guys". There's a lot more going on in the older series than what is shown in the movies, and for that reason it is hard for me to enjoy this new generation of "Star Trek".

Star Trek is about action, with some social/political ideas mixed in. Gene Roddenbury said himself that the original series was like "Wagon Train", but in outer space....a space Western, so to speak. He wanted the show to be entertaining and thought-provoking....but not too preachy about current issues.

But I agree with you about the "non-stop" action. There has to be breaks in the action, if only to allow the audience to catch their breath. There has to be character development as well as intimate moments. Other wise, the audience won't really care about the characters and what happens to them.

Funny enough that's NOT Roddenberry's version of Star Trek. He wanted space battles, they just didn't have the budget for it. His vision was political commentary + action using a space version of the UN that actually worked. He gave his blessing to DS9 when it was originally pitched because it was close to what he wanted to achieve. I'd have to agree that it would be better of as a show because you'd have much more plot development but beggars can't be choosers.

:yes: Wagon Train in space. I'm coming from the point of view of a unified world (and galaxy) mixed with the exploration and wonder of new contacts in this instance, V'Ger and the wonderful twist of a Voyager spacecraft. Space battles were part of it (circle the wagons!) but not exclusively. ST:TMP was very much keeping with that tradition, I think. More so than most of the other movies in TOS/TNG era, imo.

ST:TMP was actually supposed to be the first episode of a Star Trek II TV series with Will Decker and Ilia. The series was dumped by Paramount and they made ST:TMP instead.

Edit: to tie in Principled Man's "Wagon Train" reference.

Edited by CygnusGal

Interesting... This guy is "Harrison" (no first name):

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120107133112/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/8/88/Harrison%2C_Balance_of_Terror.jpg/180px-Harrison%2C_Balance_of_Terror.jpg

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison

"Harrison was played by regular TOS extra Ron Veto. Harrison's name was mentioned in "Space Seed" as the camera panned over Ron Veto."

Maybe "John Harrison" is a red herring from JJ, after all the Khan/Space Seed speculation. :cool:

:yes: Wagon Train in space. I'm coming from the point of view of a unified world (and galaxy) mixed with the exploration and wonder of new contacts in this instance, V'Ger and the wonderful twist of a Voyager spacecraft. Space battles were part of it (circle the wagons!) but not exclusively. ST:TMP was very much keeping with that tradition, I think. More so than most of the other movies in TOS/TNG era, imo.

ST:TMP was actually supposed to be the first episode of a Star Trek II TV series with Will Decker and Ilia. The series was dumped by Paramount and they made ST:TMP instead.

A lot of Star Trek has action in it, sure, but in most of the best episodes they never fire a phaser. TNG especially. That's what's missing from most of the movies, the stuff that you can only really accomplish on the TV series' because they have so much time to build the characters correctly. That's what I liked about DS9 the most- it started with strong characters and kept getting better and better the farther it went along. I haven't watched much Enterprise but this is also what I've heard from that show.

A lot of Star Trek has action in it, sure, but in most of the best episodes they never fire a phaser. TNG especially. That's what's missing from most of the movies, the stuff that you can only really accomplish on the TV series' because they have so much time to build the characters correctly. That's what I liked about DS9 the most- it started with strong characters and kept getting better and better the farther it went along. I haven't watched much Enterprise but this is also what I've heard from that show.

I thought TNG took a huge nosedive in overall quality in the final two seasons (I think the good writers moved to DS9). Enterprise starts off shaky but it makes up for it during the second season and really gets its stride during the 3rd and 4th.

I thought TNG took a huge nosedive in overall quality in the final two seasons (I think the good writers moved to DS9). Enterprise starts off shaky but it makes up for it during the second season and really gets its stride during the 3rd and 4th.

Yeah, I agree with your accessment though "All Good Things" and "A Fistfull of Datas" are some of my favorites. I'm pretty sure A fistfull of datas was either the 6th or 7th season hmm. But they had some real stinkers too- The one where the crew devolved into amphibians or whatever Deanna Troi turned into was stupid. The one with the Masks was pretty shit too. By contrast, I can only think of one bad DS9 episode in the entire run offhand (though I'm sure there were a couple more). Remember that one where the crew went to Risa on vacation and Vanessa Willams was in it? Terrible! I couldn't believe it was the same show that gave us episodes like "Duet" and "In the Pale Moonlight". Thankfully the terrible-ness didn't last long.

And damn, I can't wait for this new Trek movie to come out. LET'S GO, MAY!

Yeah, I agree with your accessment though "All Good Things" and "A Fistfull of Datas" are some of my favorites. I'm pretty sure A fistfull of datas was either the 6th or 7th season hmm. But they had some real stinkers too- The one where the crew devolved into amphibians or whatever Deanna Troi turned into was stupid. The one with the Masks was pretty shit too. By contrast, I can only think of one bad DS9 episode in the entire run offhand (though I'm sure there were a couple more). Remember that one where the crew went to Risa on vacation and Vanessa Willams was in it? Terrible! I couldn't believe it was the same show that gave us episodes like "Duet" and "In the Pale Moonlight". Thankfully the terrible-ness didn't last long.

That's funny. Series 6 and 7 of TNG are my favourite. The only episodes I don't enjoy are Lessons and Sub Rosa.

I love both Genesis and Masks. And there are so many other of my favourite episodes, like the Chain of Command 2 parter, Tapestry, Frame of Mind, Phantasms, Dark Page, Parellels, Eye of the Beholder etc

That's funny. Series 6 and 7 of TNG are my favourite. The only episodes I don't enjoy are Lessons and Sub Rosa.

I love both Genesis and Masks. And there are so many other of my favourite episodes, like the Chain of Command 2 parter, Tapestry, Frame of Mind, Phantasms, Dark Page, Parellels, Eye of the Beholder etc

Good episodes!

THERE.. ARE.... FOUR... LIGHTS!!!

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

Season 7 of TNG had a bit of fall-off, but Season 6 is one of the best. If I had to rank them, I'd put them in order of: 5-6-2-4-7-3-1. (Yes, I'm the anomaly who thinks season 2 was great. Doctor Pulaski was better than Crusher damnit!)

Season 7 of TNG had a bit of fall-off, but Season 6 is one of the best. If I had to rank them, I'd put them in order of: 5-6-2-4-7-3-1. (Yes, I'm the anomaly who thinks season 2 was great. Doctor Pulaski was better than Crusher damnit!)

Wouldn't have minded seeing Pulaski stick around for the later seasons. She seemed to be channeling Bones, but I didn't mind that. Crusher (actually, Crushers -- mother and son) got annoying after awhile.

Wouldn't have minded seeing Pulaski stick around for the later seasons. She seemed to be channeling Bones, but I didn't mind that. Crusher (actually, Crushers -- mother and son) got annoying after awhile.

Wesley Crusher was always annoying. It just took you a little longer to catch on. :blaze:

He was about as useless as that Asian guy on Voyager or any of those red-shirted crewmen from the original series that got killed when they beamed down to the planet with Kirk, Spock, and Bones.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Good episodes!

THERE.. ARE.... FOUR... LIGHTS!!!

http://undiscoveredcountryproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Four-Lights-Picard.jpeg

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

I loved Polaski for that reason. She and McCoy always went for what was morally right and it tended to bring to up a different aspect of the issue that the episode centered around. Beverly Crusher was just that awkward possible love interest for the captain who had a very one tracked mind of helping all the people almost without thinking about the situation.

Edited by USB Connector

I loved Polaski for that reason. She and McCoy always went for what was morally right and it tended to bring to up a different aspect of the issue that the episode centered around. Beverly Crusher was just that awkward possible love interest for the captain who had a very one tracked mind of helping all the people almost without thinking about the situation.

Agree 100% about Crusher. It was as if she missed the Starfleet training course about the Prime Directive..... :oops:

The producers' treatment of Beverly Crusher was pretty sexist, IMO. Same with Deanna Troi. Only when the series became a dominant ratings hit did they allow Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis to do something real with their characters.

Agree 100% about Crusher. It was as if she missed the Starfleet training course about the Prime Directive..... :oops:

The producers' treatment of Beverly Crusher was pretty sexist, IMO. Same with Deanna Troi. Only when the series became a dominant ratings hit did they allow Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis to do something real with their characters.

Yep. Diana was horrible in the first two seasons because she was just a stereotypical Gypsy played by a Greek woman.

"I'm sensing....many boners....and a want for tighter spandex outfits...."

My brother and I always called Troi "Space Cheese" for some reason. Then, in that godawful accent she did, we'd say stuff like "I'm sensing pain... GREAT PAIN!"

I'm going to make this simple. I grew up on old Star Trek loving it but the Latest Star Trek is a shot in the arm the series needed.

Thanks, treeduck! :ebert: I'm more convinced than ever it is Mr. Mitchell. :haz:

Come on May 16!

Oh, yeah....edit to add... :hi: Patrick! :D

Edited by CygnusGal