The 'We love Geddy's singing!' thread!

Mika

Hope you have a Rush dream,Mika!!!!!! ;)

Ha! I was just thinking about that today, actually - I was remembering this dream I had where Geddy had a cold and he was doing all these crazy BMX bike stunts, and I was admonishing him that he should take it easy because of his cold. Because I would definitely admonish him in real life, of course, should the need arise. :sarcastic: Gosh, I can't imagine: "Hey, Geddy, don't do that. What the heck do you think you're doing? Oh, and by the way, can you sing me something, because I really like your voice? And turn around while you're singing, so I can check out your fab butt?" Ok, I'll stop now.... :)

• Like 1

I love, love, love Geddy's voice! I especially love the quiet songs like Rivendell, The Garden, the acoustic version of Resist on the R30 dvd. But I also love his voice on Everyday Glory and the older stuff where he screams, like on 2112. There seems to be something special about his voice during every era, and he knows his limits as his voice ages. On Clockwork Angels, he seems to have found a perfect balance for his voice. It seems he can sing anything well. I'm Canadian, so his rendition of "O Canada" at the baseball game a few years back just brings tears to my eyes.

:rush: :geddy:

Awww,That really good,OTRTA!!!! Saw a citp on Ged' singing that song-low,but very good likewise.The persons and the crites that had say that Geddy vocals are too High-pich for there liking-just sahdapp already!!!!!!! Geddy & Rush sore had the last laghs when

Quite right, GM! It makes me angry when I read comments saying that Geddy's voice is gone. If that's a gone voice, well, I don't know. And if they think they can do better, go right ahead and show us. :cool: Isn't that so, GM? ;)
  • Like 1

Quite right, GM! It makes me angry when I read comments saying that Geddy's voice is gone. If that's a gone voice, well, I don't know. And if they think they can do better, go right ahead and show us. :cool: Isn't that so, GM? ;)

I'm usually very tolerant of criticisms of music that I truly love and seldom feel a need to defend it, but I do take comments slamming Geddy's voice strangely personally. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I have such admiration for his commitment to it, or maybe because I feel like I can hear the both the most indomitable and the most vulnerable parts of his soul in his vocal performances. Or maybe because karma figures that I should pay for the unkind things I said about it in the past? :LOL:

I don't know. I just know that regardless of what anyone says, Geddy's singing is something that I love like I would love a person, and it does actually hurt, viscerally, when people say that Rush should quit because of it.

• Like 2

I'm usually very tolerant of criticisms of music that I truly love and seldom feel a need to defend it, but I do take comments slamming Geddy's voice strangely personally. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I have such admiration for his commitment to it, or maybe because I feel like I can hear the both the most indomitable and the most vulnerable parts of his soul in his vocal performances. Or maybe because karma figures that I should pay for the unkind things I said about it in the past? :LOL:

I don't know. I just know that regardless of what anyone says, Geddy's singing is something that I love like I would love a person, and it does actually hurt, viscerally, when people say that Rush should quit because of it.

I think I feel what you mean! Slagging against Geddy's vocals is much more personal than, say, dissing one of their songs or an album (like poor Vapor Trails!) - Geddy's voice is unique, and unique to him. We're not likely to have another Geddy! And yes, his voice has changed over the years, but whose hasn't over 45 years of intense singing? He's morphed from so-called shrieking (which I know a lot of us love! :wub: ) to a more restrained style, which still sounds really good, to what he does today, which has a heck of a lot of power and stamina! So he's likely to drop the 'Freewill' high part - so what? That's a ridculously high part to sing, and can anyone really expect a 60-year-old to sing that with no problem? How about concentrating on all the other awesome singing Geddy gives us?

I do remember seeing a TM show a couple of years ago, and Geddy's voice was quite rough during it, but later I learned that he'd been long-suffering from a throat infection (also my show was the second-last of the tour). I can't imagine singing as he does, night after night, while having a compromised throat! This guy is a real trouper! And then the CA show I saw last September - his singing was amazing! I was so, so impressed with how awesome he sounded.

This time around, I'm catching the boys in late July, again very late on the tour. My brother missed out on the last leg, and actually kind of decided to not catch this leg as well, partly due to it being a 'late' show and Geddy's voice might not be great. I was miffed. This is one of the greatest bands ever to grace our collective ears, and a reason to not see them is because the singing might be a little not-perfect? Are Rush's fans really that fickle? Well, I guess to each their own, but I'm feeling a bit smug that I get to see Rush and my brother has chosen not to. His loss! :nya nya:

And this putting-down of Geddy's singing is a big reason of why I started this thread - to throw some love his way, and celebrate one of the best, most unique vocalists ever! :cheerleader:

Edited by Mika
  • Like 4

I think I feel what you mean! Slagging against Geddy's vocals is much more personal than, say, dissing one of their songs or an album (like poor Vapor Trails!) - Geddy's voice is unique, and unique to him. We're not likely to have another Geddy! And yes, his voice has changed over the years, but whose hasn't over 45 years of intense singing? He's morphed from so-called shrieking (which I know a lot of us love! :wub: ) to a more restrained style, which still sounds really good, to what he does today, which has a heck of a lot of power and stamina! So he's likely to drop the 'Freewill' high part - so what? That's a ridculously high part to sing, and can anyone really expect a 60-year-old to sing that with no problem? How about concentrating on all the other awesome singing Geddy gives us?

I do remember seeing a TM show a couple of years ago, and Geddy's voice was quite rough during it, but later I learned that he'd been long-suffering from a throat infection (also my show was the second-last of the tour). I can't imagine singing as he does, night after night, while having a compromised throat! This guy is a real trouper! And then the CA show I saw last September - his singing was amazing! I was so, so impressed with how awesome he sounded.

This time around, I'm catching the boys in late July, again very late on the tour. My brother missed out on the last leg, and actually kind of decided to not catch this leg as well, partly due to it being a 'late' show and Geddy's voice might not be great. I was miffed. This is one of the greatest bands ever to grace our collective ears, and a reason to not see them is because the singing might be a little not-perfect? Are Rush's fans really that fickle? Well, I guess to each their own, but I'm feeling a bit smug that I get to see Rush and my brother has chosen not to. His loss! :nya nya:

And this putting-down of Geddy's singing is a big reason of why I started this thread - to throw some love his way, and celebrate one of the best, most unique vocalists ever! :cheerleader:

He's got an incredible voice! :wub:

I guess my inability to brush off criticisms of Geddy's voice probably IS my karmic payback for making fun of it when I was younger, because the more I think about it, the more ironically appropriate it seems that the kind of person to whom I probably would have made a disparaging remark about Geddy's voice when I was in high school is now the person who is irking me by attacking it. So in that spirit, I will post the song that was the #1 target of my Rush mocking lo those many years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJoTxywiRG0

What did I know? Fool that I was! Little by little I learned... :LOL: :wub: :rush:

• Like 1

Came over here to give my support to this thread. I too love Geddy's older voice, I am a newer fan (in the last two years especially) and I enjoy his more mature voice but I think he does a fantastic job. so he sounded a bit rough at the RRHOF, you would too if you had to sit there for almost 5 hours waiting for your turn to sing and you were not able to warm up. My hubby who isn't a fan per se watched it with me and said they are good (Geddy was intense..was his other comment).

I am so excited to have them coming to my area this summer, I hope they can tour a while longer because I love them and their music. Whew...I feel better now :haz: :rush: :) :geddy:

I guess my inability to brush off criticisms of Geddy's voice probably IS my karmic payback for making fun of it when I was younger.

Same with me and Alex's guitar playing haha. I wasn't all that crazy about it in early 1991, about three or four months before I became a fan that summer, but once I did, anybody said he sucked as a guitar player I promptly got worked up about it XD SO see, Geddy is not the only one I'd get insane defensive over.

Came over here to give my support to this thread. I too love Geddy's older voice, I am a newer fan (in the last two years especially) and I enjoy his more mature voice but I think he does a fantastic job. so he sounded a bit rough at the RRHOF, you would too if you had to sit there for almost 5 hours waiting for your turn to sing and you were not able to warm up. My hubby who isn't a fan per se watched it with me and said they are good (Geddy was intense..was his other comment).

I am so excited to have them coming to my area this summer, I hope they can tour a while longer because I love them and their music. Whew...I feel better now :haz: :rush: :) :geddy:

I re-watched the Hall of Fame set the other night, and although I acknowledge that the vocals were a little rough, I guess I just really love that voice, because I completely enjoyed that performance :yes:

• Like 1

I re-watched the Hall of Fame set the other night, and although I acknowledge that the vocals were a little rough, I guess I just really love that voice, because I completely enjoyed that performance :yes:

I haven't watched it yet - don't have HBO or any tv for that matter, so not sure how I'm going to (:() - but a little sad to hear Geddy's voice being 'rough'. It would have been nice to really put out there for the masses how fabulous Rush is rocking into their sixties, ya know? with so many people that are not strictly Rush fans watching the ceremony, too.

Man, touring must be so tough on Geddy - having to try to keep his voice in prime shape by being uber-cautious with limiting speaking during his time not onstage singing, or refraining from specific foods that would be detrimental to his vocal chords.... Gotta hand it to him, though, he's a consumate professional about trying to give us the best quality performance he can, and I respect that!

But if it came down to it, I really wouldn't mind never hearing the 'higher' songs again and having, in concert, songs more suited to an easier midrange, like taking away even 'Tom Sawyer' and 'The Spirit of Radio' and having, say, 'New World Man' and 'Cold Fire' - Geddy has a fabulous midrange sound, and could blow these songs out of the water, without any worry of straining or whatever!

BTW, I was listening to Feedback's 'The Seeker' yesterday, and I really got caught up in the "I've been searching low and HIGHHHHHH" parts - I love how he jumps into falsetto (I think?) at the end parts, and his vibrato is just awesome! :)

• Like 2

Mika, now I don't feel so ... odd; we don't own a television either.

I agree with you about Geddy's voice and his range. It's not like he is stuck on high; he can sing just as well midrange. In fact, that is when you realize what a great voice he does have.

Also, and I can't stress this enough for you "youngsters" ( :laughing guy: ), these men aren't spring chickens anymore. This isn't directed towards you, Mika, because you understand that, but the fans have to cut :rush: some slack. When you get to be around sixty, you will understand what it takes for them to do what they do. I couldn't do it. By 8:30, my head hits the pillow. How they put on three hour shows is beyond me, and it is no wonder that both Geddy and Neil are worn out the next day. Maybe they should consider having two days off between shows the next tour. Sometimes I think that if they read some of the criticisms here, they would be hurt and just might call it quits all together. Not sure why they are continuing to tour - whether it is for the money or for the fans - or both - but it must take quite a toll on them.

I said this once before on here - be grateful for what they are still doing and what they give us and don't push them for more.

Again, Mika, this post isn't aimed at you. It is just some of my thoughts. I worry about them.

• Like 1

Mika, now I don't feel so ... odd; we don't own a television either.

I agree with you about Geddy's voice and his range. It's not like he is stuck on high; he can sing just as well midrange. In fact, that is when you realize what a great voice he does have.

Also, and I can't stress this enough for you "youngsters" ( :laughing guy: ), these men aren't spring chickens anymore. This isn't directed towards you, Mika, because you understand that, but the fans have to cut :rush: some slack. When you get to be around sixty, you will understand what it takes for them to do what they do. I couldn't do it. By 8:30, my head hits the pillow. How they put on three hour shows is beyond me, and it is no wonder that both Geddy and Neil are worn out the next day. Maybe they should consider having two days off between shows the next tour. Sometimes I think that if they read some of the criticisms here, they would be hurt and just might call it quits all together. Not sure why they are continuing to tour - whether it is for the money or for the fans - or both - but it must take quite a toll on them.

I said this once before on here - be grateful for what they are still doing and what they give us and don't push them for more.

Again, Mika, this post isn't aimed at you. It is just some of my thoughts. I worry about them.

"We're only immortal for a limited time"!

You're right, Lorraine; sometimes it's easy for us (Rush fans in general) to find criticisms with our beloved boys, while it's really prudent to step back and take stock of the all awesomeness they continue to give us, and yes, at their age. I can't empathize with the 'pains of maturity', as I am still at an age where I probably take youth for granted, but it's good to realize that they are not spring chickens. I read that at the end of the last leg of the tour, Neil had been suffering through tendonitis - can anyone imagine what it's like to play drums as he does, while being in constant pain with every swing of the drum stick (and we all know there are many swings of the drum stick in a Rush show!)?

I cherish what Rush is giving us now, knowing that they simply can't keep doing it forever. One of the boys has said that he definitely won't be playing onstage at age 70, and who can blame him? But their playing is still exceptional, and reports from themselves and from others say that they're at "the top of their game", so I'm happy to be on this ride as long as Rush is. I think that 30 years from now (when I'm their age, ha ha!), I'll be looking back and being thankful for what I get to experience today, so I like to try to make the most of it. Unlike my brother, who's sitting out for this whole tour... if it were me, I know I'd be kicking myself in the future when I could no longer catch Rush live onstage.

I am in awe that they continue to do what they do as well as they do. It's easy to forget that in many stores they qualify for senior's discounts, especially when witnessing Geddy bouncing around onstage!

One thing I was looking forward to at my 12-hour day at work, was coming home to share this:

I was walking to work today, and as usual lately, had my ipod randomly play only Rush songs, including a few bootleg concerts. Well, a version of 'Resist' from 1997 (Great Woods and Summer Skies, for those interested) came on, and I enjoyed it as I was walking along. Then I got drawn into Geddy's singing, and at the end of the song it just started moving me so much that I started crying (just a little bit!) as I walked. I'm probably being extra-sensitive about the awesomeness of Geddy's voice right now, but nonetheless, it was just so... wonderful. It's hard to explain, but I was so emotionally moved by Geddy's singing. It took a few moments to gather myself together, while I self-consciously wiped away my tears (thankfully, it had just started raining very lightly, so I could be excused as wiping away rain drops!).

My god, the things this man's voice does to me.

I think, quite honestly, if someone told me that I had to choose to either hear Geddy's singing or Geddy's bass from now on, but not both, I would choose hearing his voice. Yes, he's a bass god, but his voice is his most unique instrument!

Anyway, wanted to share. It's not often I get blind-sided by emotion like this!

• Like 1

One thing I was looking forward to at my 12-hour day at work, was coming home to share this:

I was walking to work today, and as usual lately, had my ipod randomly play only Rush songs, including a few bootleg concerts. Well, a version of 'Resist' from 1997 (Great Woods and Summer Skies, for those interested) came on, and I enjoyed it as I was walking along. Then I got drawn into Geddy's singing, and at the end of the song it just started moving me so much that I started crying (just a little bit!) as I walked. I'm probably being extra-sensitive about the awesomeness of Geddy's voice right now, but nonetheless, it was just so... wonderful. It's hard to explain, but I was so emotionally moved by Geddy's singing. It took a few moments to gather myself together, while I self-consciously wiped away my tears (thankfully, it had just started raining very lightly, so I could be excused as wiping away rain drops!).

I think, quite honestly, if someone told me that I had to choose to either hear Geddy's singing or Geddy's bass from now on, but not both, I would choose hearing his voice. Yes, he's a bass god, but his voice is his most unique instrument!

I'm also caught by random passages of Rush music that affect me like that- and there are times when Geddy does get to me that deeply. I'm glad I'm not the only one, because when it catches me off-guard, it surprises me, you know- things that I've listened to hundreds of times, and still, sometimes I just get blown away.

Just want to chime in and add a few emoticons:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :geddy: :heart:

:wub:

:sigh:

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon-pancarte06.gif

• Like 2

Just want to chime in and add a few emoticons:

:heart: :geddy: :heart:

:wub:

:sigh:

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon-pancarte06.gif

I second this!

ALL IN FAVOUR SAY AYE! :LOL: :wub:

• Like 1

I have more than once felt a little vaklempt and/or misty eyed listening to Geddy's R30 Resist performance. It's such a heart felt vocal. Lovely :clap:

Geddy cosmic waves must be at their height or something because I had a dream about him Saturday night that you gals are going to absolutely love!! :cheerleader:

Unfortunately (booooooo!), the following is the only part I can remember, but it will make you envious just the same!

Well, it was just the two of us - Geddy and me :wub: - and he grabbed me and hugged me so tight. He let go and continued to hold me by the shoulders, looked straight in my eyes, and with the biggest smile you have ever seen on Geddy Lee said to me "I love you so much!" :heart: :heart: :heart:

:blush:

• Like 5

By the way, I, too, love Resist. When they did it at Rio, it looks like Geddy's eyes are filled with tears at the end, and I just love the way he and Alex reach out for each other at the end. You can't help but think how obvious it is how much they mean to each other.
  • Like 1