Aerosmith vs Kiss

nappy2112

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 25 2012, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 23 2012, 04:07 PM)
It's a bit late in the day for a KISS v Aerosmith rivalry.

Here's a little tidbit from way back in Creem magazine's Sept. '75 issue:

Perhaps the lack of press coverage comes from the fact that Aerosmith never identified themselves with any particular fan bandwagon, even though their first two albums were released at the peak of the glitter controversy. "We were doing makeup, glitter the year before in New Hampshire", says Perry. "We weren't wearing 14 inch platforms or anything. Our music was the main thing, though the show runs a close second. Kiss is the epitome of what we're talking about. Without their show, there's no go. I feel really sorry for them. I look at people in the circus, having to climb up some ladder every night. I wouldn't want to do that either. But Kiss is entertainment...they're just using rock 'n' roll as their format. We're looking at it from a different point of view."

I suppose people always said that about KISS but they did have the songs to back it up as well, it' not like they were Milli Vanilli or something...

trink38.gif

Pretty sure Kiss kills aerosmith in total album sales.. Wonder how Tyler feels about getting beaten by a comic book tongue.gif

I once spent an hour watching Steven Tyler interviews on YouTube because I couldn't believe what a dick he is.. Even to his own band. He'll never see any of my money!

As for the music, I only like the early stuff from both bands..

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 25 2012, 08:28 AM)
Aero's had far more commercial success, but at what price? Much of their fanbase not liking anything past '86? Kiss has made far better later-era albums than Aerosmith.

I'd rather listen to Crazy Nights than Just Push Play. biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif Crazy NIghts is a pretty amazing album.

f**k Aerosmith and f**k Steven Tyler. f**k Joe Perry too. They haven't done anything worthwhile since the 70's anyway. Everything since Permanent Vacation and on has been commercial bubblegum radio rock. KISS DESTROYS AEROSHIT (but their 70's stuff is still great).

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Oct 25 2012, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 25 2012, 08:28 AM)
Aero's had far more commercial success, but at what price?  Much of their fanbase not liking anything past '86?  Kiss has made far better later-era albums than Aerosmith.

I'd rather listen to Crazy Nights than Just Push Play.  biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif Crazy NIghts is a pretty amazing album.

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (t2s @ Oct 24 2012, 04:08 AM)
Aerosmith has 2 good songs, Kiss has 0.

No. Kiss has 1 good song. But that was written by Rod Argent.

Aerosmith has 4 or 5 brilliant albums, and only 2 or three shitty ones. Unfortunately, these are the last two or three.

Not a huge fan of either group. Have a couple of studio albums from both groups and none of them gets listened to all that much.

I would say that the best Aerosmith is better than the best KISS but Kiss has more decent work so overall I would prefer the KISS studio work.

Live its no contest. I have seen both groups live twice. Saw Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation Tour with Guns and Roses. G & R was ok but Aerosmith stunk. A couple of years latter I saw KISS with Winger and Slaughter. Slaughter and Winger were both very good and KISS was very, very, very good.

Then I saw the 2 groups together on tour. KISS was very good and Aerosmith stunk again.

Based on that limited experience I will take live KISS over live Aerosmith any day.

Bottom line - its not close, KISS over Aerosmith by a country mile.

I broke down and picked up Music From Another Dimension. I'm not all the way through it yet. Some of it sounds like it could come from Draw the Line or Night in the Ruts. Some still has the Get a Grip and after sound to it ( :( ). Contrary to what some of you may have read, none of it sounds like Toys in the Attic or Rocks.

So far? It's fine if you like Aerosmith. It's better than some of the crap they've released in the last 20 years. It's not another ridiculous greatest hits package. But it's no Clockwork Angels, meaning you won't say "Wow, they haven't sounded this good in 30 years."

I will say this, the new Aerosmith album is much better than the new KISS album.

I haven't picked up Monster yet. Is it something that will go on my shelf and never see the light of day again?

I've listened to it about 5 times when it was first released and there it sits, although I do like it. That being said, KISS, to me, is the kind of music that you really have to be in the mood for.

I've been going through an Aerosmith binge of late. Upon further consideration, can I just say Kiss has never written a song that even approaches the greatness that is Sweet Emotion?

You are seriously overating Aerosmith, enough. Go binge on the first few Kiss albums instead and reconsider that statement.

I've been going through an Aerosmith binge of late. Upon further consideration, can I just say Kiss has never written a song that even approaches the greatness that is Sweet Emotion?

You are seriously overating Aerosmith, enough. Go binge on the first few Kiss albums instead and reconsider that statement.

Well, no. I just place Aerosmith's work from s/t to Pump in higher esteem than you do. And you probably place "the first few Kiss albums" in higher esteem than I do.

I enjoy Kiss. Both bands have been around so long that they have a fair amount of clunkers in their catalog (to be fair, Rush has a few too). But, like I said earlier, IMO no Kiss album even approaches Toys in the Attic or Rocks. So taking each band at their high point, Aerosmith blows doors on Kiss.

My $0.02. Your mileage may vary.

On 10/23/2012 at 10:07 PM, treeduck said:

It's a bit late in the day for a KISS v Aerosmith rivalry. That been said recent KISS stuff crushes recent Aerosmith stuff...

And for the record, Ace, Vinnie Vincent, Bruce Kulick, Bob Kulick, Mark St John, Tommy Thayer all blow Joe Perry out of the water. In fact Paul Stanley's playing probably beats Perry's...

😮 

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

It's a bit late in the day for a KISS v Aerosmith rivalry. That been said recent KISS stuff crushes recent Aerosmith stuff...

And for the record, Ace, Vinnie Vincent, Bruce Kulick, Bob Kulick, Mark St John, Tommy Thayer all blow Joe Perry out of the water. In fact Paul Stanley's playing probably beats Perry's...

🤔 So TD please name your Top 3 Kiss

Axe-man 🎸 in order of the best listed first please 😎

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
🎸🎸🎸

1 minute ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

18 hours ago, Texas King said:

Aerosmith is a much better band in my personal view.

So no contest for me really.

Yeah I prefer Aerosmith overall too 👍

On 10/23/2012 at 10:07 PM, treeduck said:

It's a bit late in the day for a KISS v Aerosmith rivalry. That been said recent KISS stuff crushes recent Aerosmith stuff...

🤔 So Captain TD 🙂..

please name your Top 3 Kiss

Axe-man 🎸 in order of the best listed first please 😎

3 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔 So Captain TD 🙂..

please name your Top 3 Kiss

Axe-man 🎸 in order of the best listed first please 😎

In terms of KISS importance? Or technical skill?

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 4:12 PM, treeduck said:

In terms of KISS importance? Or technical skill?

How about both please Treeduck ! 🤞😎

4 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

How about both please Treeduck ! 🤞😎

Well Ace Frehley is definitely the most important and the most skilled is probably Mark St. John. Bruce Kulick was good but if you notice on Asylum and Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade and Revenge he plays like St John did on Animalize, like he copied his style.

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

Well Ace Frehley is definitely the most important and the most skilled is probably Mark St. John. Bruce Kulick was good but if you notice on Asylum and Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade and Revenge he plays like St John did on Animalize, like he copied his style.

Where would you rate Vinnie Vincent compared to Ace, Mark & Bruce ? 🤔

I really liked Vinnie Vincent Invasion S/T debut album when it was first released back in ‘86 … totally over the top 🎸🎸🎸

riffola & mega fast ( at the time ) solos ! 

• Like 1