Country Music

rushgoober

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 17 2011, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 17 2011, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 17 2011, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 16 2011, 06:52 PM)
I really don't understand someone hating country music. I guess some people are have predetermined notions and are not capable of learning.

All that I know is that when I listen to country music, it puts me in a freakin bad mood. I can't stand the sounds of steel guitar or the fiddle.

Country just drives me nuckin futs! I don't know if it has anything to do with predetermined notions or my capability of learning. wacko.gif

+1

Try being dragged to a 2+ hour concert of country music!! 062802puke_prv.gif

My parents dragged me to a John Denver concert when I was a kid. That was a rough evening. laugh.gif

God love you, you hadn't a hope. Did you ever forgive them? John Denver....ooooooh....that's on the nasty side of cheezy listening.

I've gotten even with them. They've spent a couple of road trips in the car with me recently and I played plenty of Ministry and Mudvayne for them. laugh.gif

I actually kind of like some John Denver music from the 70's, at least a handful of his big hits. Mind you, I don't own any of his music, nor would I want to (I mean, I don't like it THAT much), but I thought he was kind of charming and innocent. His stuff seems a long distance away from the contemporary country crap of today, however...

yes.gif

I dabbled in country music for some of my college years, but didn't really call myself a fan. Then I met my husband who really only listens to classic rock and country -- plus, surprise, he's actually from the country! Now I consider myself a fan. A lot of the stuff out there today is crap but I like having it on in our (log) house while cooking, just sets a nice mood. Our wedding song was Meet in the Middle by Diamond Rio (but don't worry, I walked down the aisle to Rush's own "Hope"!)

You just have to laugh at some of the songs too ("All my exes live in Texas" lol wth!) but to me, it's so different from Rush which you have to think about to listen to, which is what I like. Some songs are just meant to be enjoyed for their story or tongue in cheek humor.

One of the groups I've loved is Sugarland. I don't follow them as much since they have crossed over on the more "pop" side of things but their first two albums - "Twice the Speed of Life" and "Enjoy the Ride" are awesome. The follow ups have been lackluster IMO. Plus, while they put on a great show, they only perform their radio hits, which at this point after 4 albums, they should be giving out some deep cuts.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 06:14 PM)
I will admitt that there is a fair amount of early Johnny Cash that I enjoy listening too. But is early Johnny Cash country or rock n roll? He used to tour with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, right?

goodpost.gif

Johnny Cash is the exception for me too! cosmo.gif

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 19 2011, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 06:14 PM)
I will admitt that there is a fair amount of early Johnny Cash that I enjoy listening too.  But is early Johnny Cash country or rock n roll?  He used to tour with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, right?

goodpost.gif

Johnny Cash is the exception for me too! cosmo.gif

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/johnnycashfinger.jpg

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 19 2005, 06:56 PM)
I love country music, well most of it. Only after I opened my ears and gave it a chance did I realize that some of the best songwriters and musicians are country artists.

I would much rather listen to country that almost ANY of the new rock crap out there!

I agree on both of those.

What boggles my mind is how some old school rock fans who like Lynyrd Skynrd and Allman Brothers Band and hate country music. It's like hating Strawberry ice cream but liking Neopolitan ice cream.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 19 2011, 06:42 PM)
I love country music, well most of it. Only after I opened my ears and gave it a chance did I realize that some of the best songwriters and musicians are country artists.

I would much rather listen to country that almost ANY of the new rock crap out there!

What boggles my mind is how some old school rock fans who like Lynyrd Skynrd and Allman Brothers Band and hate country music. It's like hating Strawberry ice cream but liking Neopolitan ice cream.

Let's not forget the influence of country music on The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. It's HUGE!

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 17 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 17 2011, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 17 2011, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 17 2011, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 16 2011, 06:52 PM)
I really don't understand someone hating country music. I guess some people are have predetermined notions and are not capable of learning.

All that I know is that when I listen to country music, it puts me in a freakin bad mood. I can't stand the sounds of steel guitar or the fiddle.

Country just drives me nuckin futs! I don't know if it has anything to do with predetermined notions or my capability of learning. wacko.gif

+1

Try being dragged to a 2+ hour concert of country music!! 062802puke_prv.gif

My parents dragged me to a John Denver concert when I was a kid. That was a rough evening. laugh.gif

God love you, you hadn't a hope. Did you ever forgive them? John Denver....ooooooh....that's on the nasty side of cheezy listening.

I've gotten even with them. They've spent a couple of road trips in the car with me recently and I played plenty of Ministry and Mudvayne for them. laugh.gif

I actually kind of like some John Denver music from the 70's, at least a handful of his big hits. Mind you, I don't own any of his music, nor would I want to (I mean, I don't like it THAT much), but I thought he was kind of charming and innocent. His stuff seems a long distance away from the contemporary country crap of today, however...

yes.gif

John Denver was an excellent songwriter.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 19 2011, 04:42 PM)

there really is a pretty wide gap between vintage skynyrd or the allman brothers and contemporary country music IMHO. anyway, while i can appreciate skynyrd and the allman brothers, they're not my favorite. i can dig SOME southern rock like that. that is not country music to me with all the twangy crap and my cat ate my dog or whatever...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 20 2011, 01:11 PM)
Dolly Parton (wow, early Dolly Parton is pretty good!)

Of course. That's when her boobs didn't sag too much.

There is a big difference between Simple Man and Elvira! wacko.gif

I don't think Ronnie Van Zant ever uttered the words "Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow".

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 20 2011, 01:56 PM)

Of course. That's when her boobs didn't sag too much.

doh.gif

eyesre4.gif

Actually, she was very pretty before all the "enhancements" she has had. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 20 2011, 03:00 PM)

There is a big difference between Simple Man and Elvira! wacko.gif

I don't think Ronnie Van Zant ever uttered the words "Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow".

rofl3.gif Being a big skynyrd fan, the thing that I hate most is when people say skynyrd is country. They are not country, yes they do use some similiar themes that are used in country, but their not country. Just like a lot of people think of southern rock and country being the same thing, there very different.

The music that is out there now is awful. The lyrics and the video's are just as suggestive as any rap or metal or what have you. When my husband puts on country, I just leave the room or go outside or get in my car and go out. Like nails on a chalkboard.

QUOTE (librarian @ Jan 20 2011, 02:14 PM)
The music that is out there now is awful. The lyrics and the video's are just as suggestive as any rap or metal or what have you. When my husband puts on country, I just leave the room or go outside or get in my car and go out. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Nails on a chalkboard is very apropos. That's probably what Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band sounds like to my wife. tongue.gif

I've been listening to a lot of country music this week and I'm lovin' it!

Lefty Frizzell
Merle Haggard
The Louvin Brothers
Loretta Lynn

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I enjoy some of it. Hank Sr., George Strait, and Brooks and Dunn are pretty good. It's a little too formulaic these days and image has overpowered talent for the most part. You gotta love the way most country fans are so loyal. They still buy albums and tend to stick with artists throughout their career which is the opposite of most pop music these days.

There was a fantastic documentary on Glen Campbell on BBC4 on Friday night. Been listening to his stuff over the weekend. His last album, Ghost On The Canvas is excellent. And his 2008 album of covers, Meet Glen Campbell, is really good too. His version of Foo Fighters Times Like These is just lovely, and quite emotional.

The poor man is in the throes of Alzheimer's.