Random Rush Moments in Public

That One Guy

First, if this has been done before, whatever, let it die or lock it up.

Anyone have random Rush moments in public, whether its a trivial compliment, or a nice discussion with someone you don't know?

I'll start with a couple.

I only have two Rush shirts, a Permanent Waves album shirt, and a Time Machine Tour shirt (hoping to broaden my collection). But they frequently stir random bits with strangers. My Rush lanyard of old did the same.

College is an easy place for this to happen. While waiting for a class a week ago, a janitor saw my Permanent Waves shirt, and told a story about how he bought the record the day it came out. I've had countless conversations similar to this with strangers. And plenty of students say 'nice shirt' or similar when I'm donning their shirts.

So, let's get some examples from others!

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 13 2012, 10:45 PM)
I was pissing on my table at Applebee's when someone noticed the starman tattoo on my ass. Stranger asked when starman got so hairy, so I pissed on him, too. They put a gold plaque on my booth at that particular Applebee's, and it is permanently reserved for me.

Super cool story, bro

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 13 2012, 07:45 PM)
I was pissing on my table at Applebee's when someone noticed the starman tattoo on my ass. Stranger asked when starman got so hairy, so I pissed on him, too. They put a gold plaque on my booth at that particular Applebee's, and it is permanently reserved for me.

I'm shocked that anybody would actually admit to eating at an Applebee's, but whatevs.

There's a plaque at Barney's Beanery in Los Angeles for Jim Morrison at the spot he used to like to sit, drink and, not surprisingly, pee in.

I just got my first Rush shirt about three weeks ago. It is now known as my "dude-magnet" t-shirt. Had I known how effective it was I would have bought one years ago.

2.gif 653.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Sep 14 2012, 11:32 AM)

I'm shocked that anybody would actually admit to eating at an Applebee's, but whatevs.

2.gif 653.gif 2.gif

rofl3.gif

I just got my first Rush shirt about three weeks ago. It is now known as my "dude-magnet" t-shirt. Had I known how effective it was I would have bought one years ago.

Not that I am looking for a dude or anything like that, but which shirt do you get the most reactions to?

QUOTE (Animate @ Sep 14 2012, 01:39 PM)

Not that I am looking for a dude or anything like that, but which shirt do you get the most reactions to?

I have the purple "Farewell to Kings" t-shirt that they have for sale in their store right now.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Sep 13 2012, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 13 2012, 10:45 PM)

Super cool story, bro

/sarcasm

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Sep 14 2012, 10:32 AM)

There's a plaque at Barney's Beanery in Los Angeles for Jim Morrison at the spot he used to like to sit, drink and, not surprisingly, pee in.

2.gif 653.gif 2.gif

Not like I publicly urinate in classy joints like Red Lobster or Olive Garden. Boundaries, yknow.

Driving home from work yesterday (I-95 South of 128) white pickup truck (Dodge?) with RI plates haulin' butt in the left lane. In the rear cab window in 4" high white lettering:

It is what it is

trink39.gif

I was at a store and a young lady behind the counter said, "Dude, I love your Rush shirt!"

I was wearing the "Test For Echo" shirt with the wolf on the front.

I took it off right there and gave it to her.

Note: I was wearing a long sleeved shirt under it at the time.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

The first day of my junior year, I was wearing my Rush shirt (from the Time Machine tour), and my then-English 3 teacher started to point out how he was a hard rock/metal head he was back then, and starting looking at my Rush shirt making all of these references, like "A working man flew by night on a passage to Bangkok." I was all like "WHHAAAAT?!" Edited by Shredder2

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Sep 15 2012, 03:22 PM)
I was at a store and a young lady behind the counter said, "Dude, I love your Rush shirt!"

Dude, I like your money! tongue.gif

Ok, so I was called upon to work a bartending shift at work last night, and I ended up getting double-sat, but it wasn't a big deal. My GM kind of apologized about it, and I said, "It's all good, no worries, whatever," and he, realizing they were only small tables and that it wasn't a big deal, said, "Well, it is what it is." It was kind of a random thing for him to respond with, but I love me my Rush-related quotes! I had 'The Garden' running through my head for a while after that! smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 23 2012, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Sep 15 2012, 03:22 PM)

Dude, I like your money! tongue.gif

Oh great...

...where shall I send the check? sad.gif

I have a Star Man decal on the back of my truck. Yesterday, a guy walked up to me asking if that was a 2.gif sticker. I said yes and he tells me a story about how when he was about 13 he was at a concert in Manchester, Mass (don't know the year). He was lost in the auditorium ( cool10.gif ) and asked a trio of guys if they knew how to get to the seats, they pointed and showed him the way. Wasn't until he was back at his seat he realized it was Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

We talked about the new tour for a minute and went on our way.

I walked into a lecture hall last week, a guy was wearing a purple tye-dye t-shirt with the Starman in the center of the pattern. I only had the chance to say "nice shirt" before the lecture started. I had to pack up and run to my next lecture in order to be on time so I didn't have the chance to say much after that.

about two years ago, about a month after dragging my wife and eager teenage boys to TMT, I wore my concert T to the mall Christmas shopping.

Sitting in the food court, a couple 18 yo kids come and start talking about RUSH and the show, my wife was rolling her eyes and when they walked away, she said something to the effect of "Well, that's nice honey, you made some little friends, teenage degenerate stoners." wacko.gif

Then, literally 20 minutes later we were throwing away $75 at TEAVANA for some overpriced teas and cups and shit, and the lady waiting on us was about 55 yo I'd say. Looked like my mom laugh.gif (I'm 48 btw). after the sale she says, "I love RUSH, favorite all-time band, DId you go to the West Palm or Tampa show?"

I was floored. My wife got this "really?" look on her face and we started talking about the concert. This lady was as big o' fan as me. Knew everything. It was awesome. I left there on cloud nine. I said "Wow, I made lots of new friends today!" and some RUSH is universally loved statements.

This is all I got from her

-_-

I was beaming!! 653.gif

I was at the supermarket the other day when I noticed the guy I was walking past had a Rush Moving Pictures t-shirt. I squealed "Hey Rush! Cool!" At him and he gave me a thumbs up. I think I scared him in my enthusiasm! laugh.gif it was the first time I'd seen someone else around this area who'd even heard of them! smile.gif

I met a girl at this bar the other night who apparently was a huge Rush fan. So I went to the jukebox and played the most 'obscure' Rush song I could find, which was Force 10, and as soon as the song started, her head popped up and she smiled and said "I love this song!!"

I've inadvertently been meeting quite a few Rush fans lately

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Sep 30 2012, 09:00 AM)
I met a girl at this bar the other night who apparently was a huge Rush fan. So I went to the jukebox and played the most 'obscure' Rush song I could find, which was Force 10, and as soon as the song started, her head popped up and she smiled and said "I love this song!!"

I've inadvertently been meeting quite a few Rush fans lately

That is a good story. smile.gif

Inadvertently. It does make one wonder. unsure.gif

Went out for lunch a couple days ago at a local soup joint. Wearing the Permanent Waves t-shirt. Cashier says, "Rush. Wow, it's been a while... Last concert I went to was.... Roll The Bones Tour."

I wish I had enough Rush shirts to wear everyday.