Pittbsburgh show didn't sell well?

zappafrank

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 13 2012, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 13 2012, 07:05 AM)
Because it's Pittsburgh.

Uh, what?

Neil's 1st show with the band was in Pittsburgh*, and Geddy makes a point to always talk about how important Pittsburgh is for the band and how they've played here more than anywhere else.

* When I saw a screening of Beyond the Lighted Stage, the entire theater erupted in applause when they got to Neil's 1st gig and showed shots of the sorely-missed Civic Arena.

I think he is saying Pittsburgh is a blue collar town that may have it tough right now? It has nothing to do with there love for the band I would think?

and as far as Neil playing his first show there in 1975. I have no idea what bearing that would have on weak ticket sales in 2012. Its tough out there, period.

Edited by Tick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's Pittsburgh.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Sep 13 2012, 12:37 PM)
Because it's Pittsburgh.

Uh, what?

Neil's 1st show with the band was in Pittsburgh*, and Geddy makes a point to always talk about how important Pittsburgh is for the band and how they've played here more than anywhere else.

* When I saw a screening of Beyond the Lighted Stage, the entire theater erupted in applause when they got to Neil's 1st gig and showed shots of the sorely-missed Civic Arena.

I think he is saying Pittsburgh is a blue collar town that may have it tough right now? It has nothing to do with there love for the band I would think?

and as far as Neil playing his first show there in 1975. I have no idea what bearing that would have on weak ticket sales in 2012. Its tough out there, period.

Well, I took it to mean something about the relationship b/w the city and Rush, or the city itself, etc, which is why I went into the spiel about the importance of the city for Rush's history. 1287.gif

I can see the day after the Cleveland concert the topic going the same way.

Lower bowl only filled, "Because it's Cleveland" eyesre4.gif And Cleveland also important to Rush. yes.gif

Incredibly, Paul McCartney didn't sell out the O2 Arena in London, England, along with a few other medium-sized venues in the UK. So, a lot of bands are experiencing the bottom line of the crappy economy right now.

Paul M almost always sells out every single venue, but when he doesn't on his own home turf, that tells us something, doesn't it?

I heard that Justin Bieber didn't sell out every show on his last tour... holy SHIT what is this world coming to??????????????????????????????

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 13 2012, 01:46 PM)
Because it's Pittsburgh.

Uh, what?

Well, I took it to mean something about the relationship b/w the city and Rush, or the city itself, etc, which is why I went into the spiel about the importance of the city for Rush's history. 1287.gif

Actually I was being a smartass and ragging on the fact that Pittsburgh is a shit hole. It had nothing to do with Rush and their relationship with Pittsburgh.

However, to Tick's point, he is correct in that it is a blue collar town and for those who are struggling financially, a concert ticket is last on the necessity list.

...and just for the record, I love Pittsburgh. Went to school there, my dad is from there, and it is the best drinking town I've ever been in. trink38.gif

Tick is right on. Note that in Los Angeles, RUSH hasn't sold out the 6,200 seat Gibson ampitheatre(yet). I know there are probably many reasons for that but it does seem odd considering the way the Time Machine Tour went.

I wonder if this "new" idea of playing shows devoted to old albums has backfired this time out. Many groups are doing the retro-thing now but can't think of a major group that did one of those and then followed up so quickly with a new album tour. I saw Cheap Trick do a tour devoted to the "Dream Police" album and then I had no desire to see them when they came around this year again(albeit this time with Aerosmith). Saturation might be the word.

One last idiotic thought, has radio embraced this album? Here in Los Angeles, I have yet to hear a track from CA. Now I know part of that is because mornings are all fun and games and no music these days and I just don't listen enough. But does anyone feel the same-without radio to get you excited about the new album, does that hurt also? Guess I can't see driving along and putting on youtube to get new music.

Edited by jjgittes

What were the totals Rush were getting in these cities at the sheds? The sheds are smaller than the arenas, arent they? I think in some cities one may find its the "normal" crowd, or slightly reduced because of lack of popularity of new album, and all the rest of the stuff (prices, economy, etc...).

I saw ticket ticket prices in LA, top ticket 184 dollars, these must be the most expensive tickets of the tour, last time in LA top ticket was 140, older bands usually tour the summer greatest hit circut, ticket prices are unbelievable, last year TMT in hamilton ticket prices were 49-99 dollars, 99 dollars for floors, and it was a sell out in april on a school night trink38.gif trink39.gif

The Anaheim show in November only has nosebleeds left.

They're doing fine, as well as they always do anyway. One of these threads comes up every year. There's always a select bunch of shows every tour that just don't sell well so a thread like this is started. I remember it was a few of the Florida shows for the Time Machine tour.

Rush is as close to a sure thing as you'll find in music these days

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 13 2012, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 13 2012, 08:47 PM)
I heard that Justin Bieber didn't sell out every show on his last tour... holy SHIT what is this world coming to??????????????????????????????

Its senses

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 13 2012, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Sep 13 2012, 01:10 PM)
I can see the day after the Cleveland concert the topic going the same way.
Lower bowl only filled, "Because it's Cleveland" eyesre4.gif  And  Cleveland also important to Rush. yes.gif

Yeah, but in that case, I mean c'mon... it's Cleveland.

z7shysterical.gif

Well.. Kiss my moon.gif PITTS burgh!! biggrin.gif pokey.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 13 2012, 09:18 PM)
Because it's Pittsburgh.

Uh, what?

Actually I was being a smartass and ragging on the fact that Pittsburgh is a shit hole. It had nothing to do with Rush and their relationship with Pittsburgh.

However, to Tick's point, he is correct in that it is a blue collar town and for those who are struggling financially, a concert ticket is last on the necessity list.

...and just for the record, I love Pittsburgh. Went to school there, my dad is from there, and it is the best drinking town I've ever been in. trink38.gif

On behalf of the city of Pittsburgh, you can go f**k yourself. moon.gif

People who call Pittsburgh "blue collar" are about 30-40 years out of date. It's not a steel town anymore. It's a high-tech, health care, university oriented city now. Get up to date.

Most people I talked to about the concert were surprised Rush was playing a venue as large as Consol. I guess they figured they'd be some place smaller.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 14 2012, 01:31 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 13 2012, 09:18 PM)
Because it's Pittsburgh.

Uh, what?

People who call Pittsburgh "blue collar" are about 30-40 years out of date. It's not a steel town anymore. It's a high-tech, health care, university oriented city now. Get up to date.

Most people I talked to about the concert were surprised Rush was playing a venue as large as Consol. I guess they figured they'd be some place smaller.

I was back there in 2006 and it is still a blue collar town. Yes, I agree in that there are a lot of urban professionals, but in comparision to other metropolitan cities, it is very much working class. Hey nothing wrong with that, it's what gives it its character.

i remember on the vapor trails tour i saw them at riverbend in cincy and i was surprised at how small the crowd was....the pavillion was pretty full (holds about 6500) and it looked like there were maybe 1500-2000 in the lawn so the total attendance looked to be between 6500-8500........the times I saw them before the place was always packed......so i was worried.

then fast forward to the S & A tour at the same venue and BOOM the crowd is 2x as big as the last time. and then last year seeing them on the TM tour in Louisville and the place had a great crowd in the KFC Yum center....i was very pleased and at today's ticket prices doing more than 10,000 in this economy is incredible.

i would say that this tour needs to average more than 7000 per night to be a "winner" for everyone involved and i think it will average better than that....there may be stops that dont do 7000 but several will do better.

they still have some die hards still out there because me and my wife are flying from KY to Las Vegas in November to see them at the MGM Grand for shits and giggles...... 2.gif

QUOTE (masque @ Sep 14 2012, 07:06 AM)
they still have some die hards still out there because me and my wife are flying from KY to Las Vegas in November to see them at the MGM Grand for shits and giggles...... 2.gif

Been to Vegas in May, was standing in front of the MGM and said to my wife: "shit, we should rather be here in November......" sad.gif

Enjoy! trink39.gif

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 14 2012, 12:31 AM)

Your restaurants put Cole Slaw on Cheeseburgers 062802puke_prv.gif , you Lose

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 14 2012, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 14 2012, 12:31 AM)
On behalf of the city of Pittsburgh, you can go f**k yourself.  moon.gif

Your restaurants put Cole Slaw on Cheeseburgers 062802puke_prv.gif , you Lose

that's a great topping for a cheeseburger...try it MD--with a beer smile.gif