Permanent Waves: 1

70s

Hemispheres: 0

A Farewell To Kings: 0

2112: 0

Caress Of Steel: 0

Fly By Night: 0

Rush: 1

Being born in 1969 and having GUP & PoW as my 1st 2 Rush albums, this setlist is tailor made for my age group. I'm loving it. Would it be cool if a few other songs made it in......sure, but I'm not gonna cry about missing staple songs. I've seen those enough.

I'll bet the band had the same thought I did.......ANY CASUAL FAN THAT WANTED TO SEE RUSH AND HEAR ALL THE HITS WENT TO THE TIME MACHINE TOUR.

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Sep 7 2012, 11:42 PM)
2000s
Clockwork Angels: 9
Snakes & Arrows: 1
Vapor Trails: 0

90s
Test For Echo: 0
Counterparts: 0
Roll The Bones: 2

80s
Presto: 0
Hold Your Fire: 1
Power Windows: 4
Grace Under Pressure: 2
Signals: 2
Moving Pictures: 2

70s

Being born in 1969 and having GUP & PoW as my 1st 2 Rush albums, this setlist is tailor made for my age group. I'm loving it. Would it be cool if a few other songs made it in......sure, but I'm not gonna cry about missing staple songs. I've seen those enough.

I'll bet the band had the same thought I did.......ANY CASUAL FAN THAT WANTED TO SEE RUSH AND HEAR ALL THE HITS WENT TO THE TIME MACHINE TOUR.

Actually that shows me some of the problems with the setlist. Im OK with leaving off some of the older stuff, but 0 CP, 0 VT, and some other of those 0s are the holes in the set for me. Im glad they are playing the new stuff.

That's the most bulls*** setlist I've ever seen. 4 songs from PoW (ONE OF THERE WORST ALBUMS EVER) and not even the best one (Marathon)? 2 songs from Signals and Moving Pictures: REALLY??? They are complete dumbasses and will never ever be the greatest band ever...

My dad now doesn't even want to go anyone because the setlist is a giant pile of s***

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (fansince1979 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:46 AM)
Regardless of tastes, it's unbalanced, career wise. 25 songs played, they have 19 studio albums, and 13 of 25 (more than 50%) are from 2 albums.

Yeah it's borderline false advertising especially when you think in terms of people who bought tickets because of the live nation promo which clearly states "featuring songs from EVERY sector of the bands career."

You can see for yourself at the link below.

It was WAY too much "keyboard era" stuff for me, and I'm about the same age as the OP.

I don't know what possessed the boys to create such a lopsided list. Most the songs are from 1982-1991. Having got that out of their system, how about next tour they completely OMIT that era and only play 1974-1981 songs? 1022.gif

19 albums which one is new and only time to play 25-30 songs. You can't have everything.

Good choice to leave out S&A and VT almost entirely from the setlist with 9 songs from CA. However I think 9 is too much even though I like the album very much. 6-7 songs per leg keeping 4 songs and chancing few would have been better solution imo.

Then there's a bit too much 80s stuff. Few more 70s tunes and something from Counterparts and the tour would have almost perfect. Now it's "only" very good.

ps. I still think the VT Tour setlist is the best of modern Rush era. It had only 4 or 5 VT songs and lot's of variety and almost all the biggest classics.

Edited by Flying Finn

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Sep 7 2012, 10:42 PM)
2000s
Clockwork Angels: 9
Snakes & Arrows: 1
Vapor Trails: 0

90s
Test For Echo: 0
Counterparts: 0
Roll The Bones: 2

80s
Presto: 0
Hold Your Fire: 1
Power Windows: 4
Grace Under Pressure: 2
Signals: 2
Moving Pictures: 2

70s

I'm getting pretty God damn wsick of that view!

"ANY CASUAL FAN THAT WANTED TO SEE RUSH AND HEAR ALL THE HITS WENT TO THE TIME MACHINE TOUR. "

For some of us this is out first Rush concert, we didn't have a choice if we could go to the TMT, because if we did this wouldn't be our first! Not everyone's been a fan for the past 40 years!

My guess is that this is the list that THEY wanted to spend 3+ hours playing. Looking over my collection of concert DVDs, I am glad to see so many songs that haven't been played live for awhile. We'll never agree on what should have/could have/would have been a better list, but I'm just glad to see them touring and playing ANYTHING!

Won't get to see them live this time around so I can't wait for the DVD to hit the stores eh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 06:15 AM)
It was WAY too much "keyboard era" stuff for me, and I'm about the same age as the OP.

I don't know what possessed the boys to create such a lopsided list. Most the songs are from 1982-1991. Having got that out of their system, how about next tour they completely OMIT that era and only play 1974-1981 songs? 1022.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Sep 8 2012, 07:35 AM)
My guess is that this is the list that THEY wanted to spend 3+ hours playing. Looking over my collection of concert DVDs, I am glad to see so many songs that haven't been played live for awhile. We'll never agree on what should have/could have/would have been a better list, but I'm just glad to see them touring and playing ANYTHING!

Won't get to see them live this time around so I can't wait for the DVD to hit the stores eh.gif

Yes, I think this is the set THEY wanted to play... with very little consideration for what the audience wanted to hear.

Yes, nobody will agree 100% on what should and shouldn't be played... but, come on! I'm willing to let a couple keyboard era stinkers (eg, Red Sector A) go by, knowing my favorite stuff from 77-81 may be coming around, too. This time, though, my time didn't really come, and the keyboard lovers had a feast.

Given the blatant lopsidedness to the represented eras, I must believe that the guys INTENTIONALLY made this a "keyboard era" concert. I'm a little upset by that.

Guess I am in the minority (big suprise unsure.gif). 70's are my decade.

BUT.... an 80's setlist it perfect compliment to CA

1. Homage to their loyal 80's fans (much more loyal then I was during the 80's)

2. CA is more similar to 70's material then 80's material- so it actually makes for a balanced set list in that regards. Hay! I am going to hear the New Album first and foremost

3. An 80's setlist is a thumb in the eye of all the recent attention Rush has been getting for their awesome 70's material (with the unspoken implication that the 80's were not so awesome).

4. Most of all.... I love 70's Rush so much that it is too painful a reminder that we a all going to be...Losing It ...In The End.....to hear Geddy attempt 70's vocals. wacko.gif

For the record, Power Windows is one of Rush's BEST albums. Some of their best work was done in the 80's! This notion that "the keyboard" era was "bad" is simply stupid. Alex complained about the keys on Signals. I never hear anyone bashing that record though.

I'm stoked for Grand Designs! What a killer song! Lifeson's solo in The Big Money is amongst his best. Love the harmonics while Geddy and Neil are going off. GUP, PW, and yes HYF are incredibly good albums. Better than the 90's stuff by a wide margin IMHO. If you haven't taken the time to get into these records, you're missing out.

I admit, I graduated in 87 and my first concert ever was GUP tour. Y&T opened. For me the 2012 setlist rules! And if the rumors are true about Losin It and Limelight, the setlist is amazing! I anticipate The Garden played with a strings section will be a high light. The hair on my arms stands at attention every time the solo kicks in. I may have a full body Rushgasm when I hear it live.

Against the run of the mill. Swimming against the stream. Life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme

Born in 1970 so similar age to orginal poster, and I say Power Windows is one of the best albums - was the one that got me into Rush anyway.

Marathon was played on a UK BBC show called No Limits with lovely Jenny Powell every other week.

Accept it may have been better for more mix of albums, but dont they normally change set list as they go along? Most bands dont play exact same every night knowing fans may go to more than 1 show on a tour.

QUOTE (fugazi @ Sep 9 2012, 02:28 PM)
Born in 1970 so similar age to orginal poster, and I say Power Windows is one of the best albums - was the one that got me into Rush anyway.

Marathon was played on a UK BBC show called No Limits with lovely Jenny Powell every other week.

Accept it may have been better for more mix of albums, but dont they normally change set list as they go along? Most bands dont play exact same every night knowing fans may go to more than 1 show on a tour.

Except that Rush isn't like most bands, and can and will play the same song every night if they feel like it. The difference between the first night of the Time Machine Tour and the final night? The Cygnus X-1 riff at the very very end was added at some point int he tour. That was it. They also did the same show every night on the R30 tour. Part of it has to do with the complex nature of their stage production.

That said, they do sometimes change things up a bit, and there is a rumored "b" list. We'll find out tonight I guess.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 06:15 AM)

I'd rather them omit

1974-1985 and songs from the amazing

Hold Your Fire

PRESTO(my favorite album, with Power Windows in second)

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

LOTS OF TEST 4 ECHO

Vapor Trails (even if it's just the title track)

Some snakes and arrows (We Hold On, Good News First, MalNar, Faithless, Spindrift)

Clockwork Angels! LOTS OF IT!

And play Middletown Dreams again biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Sep 9 2012, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (fugazi @ Sep 9 2012, 02:28 PM)

Accept it may have been better for more mix of albums, but dont they normally change set list as they go along?  Most bands dont play exact same every night knowing fans may go to more than 1 show on a tour.

Except that Rush isn't like most bands, and can and will play the same song every night if they feel like it. The difference between the first night of the Time Machine Tour and the final night? The Cygnus X-1 riff at the very very end was added at some point int he tour. That was it. They also did the same show every night on the R30 tour. Part of it has to do with the complex nature of their stage production.

That said, they do sometimes change things up a bit, and there is a rumored "b" list. We'll find out tonight I guess.

They also added a Jam section to Closer to the Heart, Extended the bass solo in Leave that thing Alone. Extended the solo in Marathon(more guitar and more keys)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (spock @ Sep 8 2012, 07:35 AM)

Won't get to see them live this time around so I can't wait for the DVD to hit the stores  eh.gif

Yes, I think this is the set THEY wanted to play... with very little consideration for what the audience wanted to hear.

Yes, nobody will agree 100% on what should and shouldn't be played... but, come on! I'm willing to let a couple keyboard era stinkers (eg, Red Sector A) go by, knowing my favorite stuff from 77-81 may be coming around, too. This time, though, my time didn't really come, and the keyboard lovers had a feast.

Given the blatant lopsidedness to the represented eras, I must believe that the guys INTENTIONALLY made this a "keyboard era" concert. I'm a little upset by that.

Agreed