Herbal / Home remedies

Anyone have any good ones?

Some in our house:

- Tart Cherry Juice after drinking (before going to sleep) will great reduce hangover effects

- Sliced onion + sugar in a mason jar, set on a window sill, in the sun. Drink the extracted juice to help a chest cold.

- Garlic and honey tea helps greatly with chest congestion

- Fresh ginger tea helps with stomach discomfort

QUOTE (Amalgamation @ Aug 9 2012, 08:55 AM)
A lot of Jack Daniels makes me very happy. Does that count? tongue.gif

I have more cleaning home remedies than ones related to health.

- Jack Daniels reduces stress. yes.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 9 2012, 09:35 AM)
- Sliced onion + sugar in a mason jar, set on a window sill, in the sun. Drink the extracted juice to help a chest cold.

Gee, I bet that tastes fantastic! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 9 2012, 11:45 AM)

rofl3.gif

I think it scares the phlegm right outta you!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 9 2012, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 9 2012, 11:45 AM)

rofl3.gif

I think it scares the phlegm right outta you!

I'd have to concur with that!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 9 2012, 12:45 PM)

No shit. I'll just take some Aleve and Delsym. At least the Delsym has a pleasant grape flavor.

Vinegar works for muscle cramps. My feet cramp a lot after working out (I sweat gallons), and a glug of vinegar takes care of the problem almost immediately.

Anyone have any good ones?

Some in our house:
- Tart Cherry Juice after drinking (before going to sleep) will great reduce hangover effects
- Garlic and honey tea helps greatly with chest congestion
- Fresh ginger tea helps with stomach discomfort

I don't think this exactly qualifies, but the second winter after my son was born I had literally 8 bouts with either a cold or the flu. He was in day care 2 or 3 days a week. After that I've taken 2000 mg of vitamin C every day without fail. I've had maybe 2 minor colds since then.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 9 2012, 03:17 PM)
I saw herbal + remedies and thought you were talking about something else. Sorry, ladies. Enjoy! I love cooking, too... bekloppt.gif

tongue.gif

I harvest ginseng each year. If I were to sell it it goes for about $400 a pound dried. Funny thing...the places here that buy the Ginseng are usually metal scrap dealers...I know weird. But, it is rare and very hard to spot, but in this part of Appalachia you can find it if you're aware of your surroundings.

Here's the hillbilly cure-all!!!

Ginseng Tea--Clean root with a toothbrush (an old one) soak in a jar of Moonshine. Sometimes I put in Peaches with it---awesome for WHATEVER ails you!!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 14 2012, 09:44 AM)
I harvest ginseng each year. If I were to sell it it goes for about $400 a pound dried. Funny thing...the places here that buy the Ginseng are usually metal scrap dealers...I know weird. But, it is rare and very hard to spot, but in this part of Appalachia you can find it if you're aware of your surroundings.

Ginseng Tea--Clean root with a toothbrush (an old one) soak in a jar of Moonshine. Sometimes I put in Peaches with it---awesome for WHATEVER ails you!!

Man, that sounds good. I want some!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 14 2012, 11:55 AM)

It really will kick your ass. which is what I want when i'm feeling ill. Moonshine is quite common around here, a lot of families have been just carrying on the tradition.

I think you'd be quite suprised by how Ginseng tastes without the processing--it's unique for sure. It takes a long time to grow, and it's not uncommon to harvest a 60 or 70 year old plant. even though I forage on my own land, I still have to have a permit to do it--because its a "medicine"

Have you ever had shine?

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 14 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 14 2012, 11:55 AM)

It really will kick your ass. which is what I want when i'm feeling ill. Moonshine is quite common around here, a lot of families have been just carrying on the tradition.

I think you'd be quite suprised by how Ginseng tastes without the processing--it's unique for sure. It takes a long time to grow, and it's not uncommon to harvest a 60 or 70 year old plant. even though I forage on my own land, I still have to have a permit to do it--because its a "medicine"

Have you ever had shine?

trink39.gif

Can't say I have!

I haven't had fresh ginseng either.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 9 2012, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Amalgamation @ Aug 9 2012, 08:55 AM)
A lot of Jack Daniels makes me very happy.  Does that count? tongue.gif

I have more cleaning home remedies than ones related to health.

- Jack Daniels reduces stress. yes.gif

You think that's cool... Jagermeister increases the population....

Ya I didn't know that for a fact until....

Just kidding

tongue.gif

Yeah, I have a few...

* Olive Leaf is super against colds. Get capsules they go down easier (no taste).

* Elderberry will also help with colds, especially helpful in preventing it from going down into your chest.

* Catnip tea is good for stress. Also a muscle relaxant.

* Fresh thyme in the bath is good for sore muscles. Tie a bundle under the faucet as the bath fills.

* Rosemary tea is a great disinfecting mouthwash.

* Plantain (the weed, not the banana) is an effective poultice for burns.

* Blackberry leaf tea clears up diarrhea.

That's just some off the top of my head. I'm an herbalist - for 30+ years now. Always learning something new, though. As it should be.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 16 2012, 10:59 AM)
My husband eats a raw garlic clove during his summer season (he's a garlic grower) to "neutralize the heavy metals in the blood."

Whatever that means.

How many nights do you make him sleep on the sofa after that?