Caravan to Carnies

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 31 2012, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 31 2012, 05:51 AM)
Halo Effect definitely brings the killer song sequence to a close.

HYF had five great songs, but admittedly Open Secrets and Second Nature weren't quite on the same level as Force Ten, Time Stand Still & Prime Mover

Give me Halo Effect over Time Stand Still.

It is a fantastic song that doesn't bog down the album at all. Caravan to The Wreckers is a run of awesomeness

I don't think it "bogs down the album," It's a very good song, I just think it isn't up to the level of the rest of the album (save BU2B2 which is the only truly disposable song).

Edited by rushgoober

Its also the best 5 song run using three consecutive letters of the alphabet... the first three letters no less.. A, B and C!!

wink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 09:53 AM)
Caravan is decent at best and BU2B is just a complete stinker - was from day one.

The following albums have better 5 track streaks (xX indicates the amount of 5 song streaks which beats this one...)

FBN x2
CoS x1 (most possible)
AFTK x2 (most possible)
Hemi can't compete sad.gif
PeW x2 (most possible)
MP x2
SiG x4 (most possible)
GUP x3
POW x2
HYF x2
Pesto x1
VT x3
S&A x1

....So this streak of 5 songs is nothing special at all to me really

The following albums don't even have 5 great songs on them:

FBN (I love Rivendell, but it's not great)

CoS (perhaps my favorite album, but I think I'm Going Bald is not Great

AFTK (Cinderella Man and Madigral don't stack up to CA)

PeW (Different Strings is not great)

POW (last 4 songs are not very good)

HYF (seriously, how does this make the list?)

Pesto (has 5 good songs, but also 6 not very good ones)

S&A (only has 4 great songs, and 3 are instrumentals)

CA really is an achievement. Of course, this comparison isn't exactly fair as many of the 70s albums have more minutes of music that could consecutively be considered great (CoS, 2112, Hemispheres) but can't match CA because of one song. Still, an interesting way to look at the new album.

Mika -

Sounds like those tracks are being listed alphabetically, and the metadata is missing track numbers that iTunes needs.

You should be able to edit that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 31 2012, 10:57 AM)

HYF had five great songs, but admittedly Open Secrets and Second Nature weren't quite on the same level as Force Ten, Time Stand Still & Prime Mover

It is a fantastic song that doesn't bog down the album at all. Caravan to The Wreckers is a run of awesomeness

I don't think it "bogs down the album," It's a very good song, I just think it isn't up to the level of the rest of the album (save BU2B2 which is the only truly disposable song).

My favorite string of tracks from CA is...

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

...yes, including Halo Effect and The Wreckers.

I think you've got to have some contrast in an album. Not every song needs to be a Headlong Flight or Caravan. My favorite prog albums from the 70s (Rush and otherwise) all had this contrast and diversity.

And if you add The Garden to the above, I think you've got a Rush album that truly compares to their best (though still just a notch below MP, AFTK, etc.).

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Besides, Hemispheres & MP (TS-Cam), I am pretty hard pressed to find another album that holds 5 consecutive songs that can measure up to the ones mentioned on Clockwork Angels. Signals comes close as does most of the 80's album but there always that one not so perfect song that throws off the bunch.

AFtK: Madrigal

PeW: Different Strings

Signals: Chemistry

GUP: The Body Electric

PW: Grand Design

HYF: Second Nature

Presto: Take Your Pic (Chain Lightning, War Paint, Scars)

confused13.gif

QUOTE (jukebox @ Jul 31 2012, 04:33 PM)
Mika -

Sounds like those tracks are being listed alphabetically, and the metadata is missing track numbers that iTunes needs.

I kind of thought they were listed alphabetically, too, for whatever reason, but all of the rest of the songs are in proper order. confused13.gif I'll just re-put the album on itunes and then my ipod, when I get my new computer sorted out (using my old-old one right now!).

Thanks for the info, and I'll see what happens! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 31 2012, 07:12 PM)
Mika -

I kind of thought they were listed alphabetically, too, for whatever reason, but all of the rest of the songs are in proper order. confused13.gif I'll just re-put the album on itunes and then my ipod, when I get my new computer sorted out (using my old-old one right now!).

You should just be able to edit this on iTunes and your iPod. You just have to highlight the song then click on it and a menu will pop up. Click on the "get info" option and it will take you to where you can edit the track numbers. Make sure the band and album names are the same, iTunes is really sensative about that stuff. Then make Caravan track number "1 of 12" and then BU2B "2 of 12" and so on. The problem should be solved then. Strange that you would get this problem with a CD, i've seen it happen with downloaded music but never wih a real CD.

Yes, the first five on this album is a great run of songs. Probably my favorite five song run since GUP and PoW.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 31 2012, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 31 2012, 10:57 AM)

My favorite string of tracks from CA is...

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

...yes, including Halo Effect and The Wreckers.

I think you've got to have some contrast in an album. Not every song needs to be a Headlong Flight or Caravan. My favorite prog albums from the 70s (Rush and otherwise) all had this contrast and diversity.

And if you add The Garden to the above, I think you've got a Rush album that truly compares to their best (though still just a notch below MP, AFTK, etc.).

I understand and greatly appreciate contrast. I don't think Halo Effect is a slightly weaker song because it's more mellow. In fact, I think The Garden is the 2nd best track on the album, and it's REALLY close to first. I actually really appreciate that Halo Effect is more mellow than what came before it as that's very much needed at that point in the album. Lyrically, however, it's not up to most of the other tracks. I sincerely like the song a good bit, I just think it's the weakest track on the album outside of BU2B2. BU2B2 is the only track I actually consider to be a "weak" track.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 31 2012, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 31 2012, 07:12 PM)
Mika -

You should just be able to edit this on iTunes and your iPod. You just have to highlight the song then click on it and a menu will pop up. Click on the "get info" option and it will take you to where you can edit the track numbers. Make sure the band and album names are the same, iTunes is really sensative about that stuff. Then make Caravan track number "1 of 12" and then BU2B "2 of 12" and so on. The problem should be solved then. Strange that you would get this problem with a CD, i've seen it happen with downloaded music but never wih a real CD.

Yes, the first five on this album is a great run of songs. Probably my favorite five song run since GUP and PoW.

Hmm, this sounds like I wouldn't have to re-rip my cd... hooray! I don't have my itunes library anymore (lost on the broken computer), but if I open up my ipod while it's charging... no, wait, this computer doesn't have itunes on it. Grr. Will have to re-install that somehow.

Man, I though technology was supposed to make things easier! Sometimes I just want to throw a record on and leave it at that. comp26.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 30 2012, 09:48 PM)
Absolutely!

When comparing CA to a MP or PW keep in mind all the extra recording time.

If Moving Pictures had 40 minutes, and you took Clockwork's best 40 minutes you'd have:

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight
The Garden

Not a bad album!

Which is why I wish bands would make shorter albums again.

Exit... Stage Left

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Freewill

Tom Sawyer

Actually, I'm not a big Tom Sawyer fan, so I'd grab Jacob's Ladder from the other side of the LP/Cassette

Jacob's Ladder

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Freewill

Actually, I think the Broon's Bane / The Trees / Xanadu sequence is the best Rush sequence ever. I love how it all flows together smoothly.

caravan to clockwork angels is a trio of tracks that ranks alongside any, but i wouldnt extend to a five-track sequence, the anarchist and carnies are decent but not quite at the first three's standard

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 30 2012, 09:48 PM)
Absolutely!

When comparing CA to a MP or PW keep in mind all the extra recording time.

If Moving Pictures had 40 minutes, and you took Clockwork's best 40 minutes you'd have:

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight
The Garden

Not a bad album!

Replace The Garden (Going against popular opinion here, but I just can't feel the love for this song... it's my least favorite on the album) with Wish Them Well and that's my preferred "edited" CA. wink.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 31 2012, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 09:53 AM)
BU2B is just a complete stinker -

ohmy.gif wacko.gif

The bridge is the only decent part.

The rest of the song was pulled out of their asses.

So overall, terrible.

Please turn in your Rush card...We've heard enough from you!!!

1287.gif

In my opinion, Seven Cities of Gold/The Wreckers/Headlong Flight is the killer streak on this album. 8)

To be serious, I think it is a really consistent album, not something where you can take a certain part from and tell it is the "major" part.