• Headlong Flight @ 4:33
    • Headlong Flight @ 4:44
    • Headlong Flight @ 6:12
    • Headlong Flight @ 6:29
    • Wish Them Well @ 1:02
    • Wish Them Well @ 3:00
    • The Garden @ 4:23
    • The Garden @ 6:22

I know I left some fills out, I just went with what I thought were his best. Anyway, I went with The Headlong Flight Fill at 4:15 right before the Spoken part. I love the way Neil brings that on in!

Regardless, the one thing we can agree on is that Neil is Back and with that some much needed Air Drumming!

1022.gif NeilFinal.gif 1022.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I love the Headlong Flight 1:42 fill as well as the Wish Them Well 1:02 fill. I'd put them up there with anything he'd done.

As far as Neil being back, where did he go? What's lacking about his work on S&A?

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 29 2012, 07:55 AM)
The long one in headlong flight.

Don't know the time code, and I'm annoyed that I need to know it to answer this poll.

That would be Headlong Flight 4:33. I don't know why you are annoyd. If you knew it was the one in Headlong Flight, all you had to do is play Headlong Flight and forward it to one of those time positions. It's really the only way of doing it. YeahI could have wrote "the long one that starts with the snare. but That would have taken too much space for each. I think you guys are capable of doing a little work to figure it out.

wink.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 29 2012, 10:46 AM)

Don't know the time code, and I'm annoyed that I need to know it to answer this poll.

That would be Headlong Flight 4:33. I don't know why you are annoyd. If you knew it was the one in Headlong Flight, all you had to do is play Headlong Flight and forward it to one of those time positions. It's really the only way of doing it. YeahI could have wrote "the long one that starts with the snare. but That would have taken too much space for each. I think you guys are capable of doing a little work to figure it out.

wink.gif

We are a nation full of the entitled. Do it for us man, and send us a check.

HF 4:33.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 29 2012, 10:55 AM)

wink.gif

You still haven't voted on it. I would do it for you, but I already voted so I can't do it for you!.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Anarchist @ 6:08

On the list went with Clockwork angels 6:13 - nice tension build up high toms!!!!!!! from days of old.

Agree totally, he is back in a big way on this album, so much

nice playing free and loose...great fills.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Edited by condemned2bfree

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 29 2012, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 29 2012, 10:55 AM)

wink.gif

You still haven't voted on it. I would do it for you, but I already voted so I can't do it for you!.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Send me a check!

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 28 2012, 10:56 PM)
As far as Neil being back, where did he go? What's lacking about his work on S&A?

The Neil Peart as creator of interesting and busy drum parts went into hiding after, I will argue, HYF. The Neil Peart of Presto - S &A just didn't create a whole lot of exciting drumming moments for me. Even Geddy says in BTS that Neil became much more conservative in his drumming as he aged.

S &A had promising flashes but even in the awesome TMMB he way underplays and leaves space that he could have filled up. Lots of drummers play straight 4-on-the-floor and great grooves...but with Peart less is definitely not more for me. He didn't earn the title of Professor because of restraint.

On CA, as I've said in other threads, his playing is vibrant, busy and exciting. Much different than the Neil Peart that spent hours crafting & refining drum parts but just as awesome & interesting.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 29 2012, 04:33 PM)

The Neil Peart as creator of interesting and busy drum parts went into hiding after, I will argue, HYF. The Neil Peart of Presto - S &A just didn't create a whole lot of exciting drumming moments for me. Even Geddy says in BTS that Neil became much more conservative in his drumming as he aged.

S &A had promising flashes but even in the awesome TMMB he way underplays and leaves space that he could have filled up. Lots of drummers play straight 4-on-the-floor and great grooves...but with Peart less is definitely not more for me. He didn't earn the title of Professor because of restraint.

On CA, as I've said in other threads, his playing is vibrant, busy and exciting. Much different than the Neil Peart that spent hours crafting & refining drum parts but just as awesome & interesting.

goodpost.gif

Yep.

The Neil Peart as creator of interesting and busy drum parts went into hiding after, I will argue, HYF. The Neil Peart of Presto - S &A just didn't create a whole lot of exciting drumming moments for me.

Busy fills on HYF were few and far between as well, and I agree that Neil Peart has generally been too restrained for too long. That written, to be fair to S&A, there are several fun drum parts on MalNar and Far Cry (4:49 is probably my favorite on that album). The Way the Wind Blows, The Main Monkey Business, and We Hold On all have some great grooves too... arguably not as many as we got in the old days or on CA, but I wouldn't lump S&A in with HYF-VT (in terms of understated drumming).

That would be Headlong Flight 4:33. I don't know why you are annoyd. If you knew it was the one in Headlong Flight, all you had to do is play Headlong Flight and forward it to one of those time positions.

Yep, I already knew a few of the fills by the time codes, but listened to the rest of them by sliding to the right spot. Back in my day, for this sort of thing we had to use a stop watch, pencil, and paper (while we messed with the tape deck). biggrin.gif

Seeing Headlong Flight get 6 spots in this poll made me think of when a buddy asked me what I thought shortly after the single came out. My reply was simply: "jamtastic, drum-fill-athon".

There are so many great CA fills to choose from, but I'm going with HF 1:42. The transition from the drums to the cymbals is so cool... gets me every time. The 4:33 HF solo is probably the runner up. Anyway, most polls at this site are worthless, but this one is fun; thanks for starting it.

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Jul 29 2012, 07:45 PM)
Wasn't on the list but I would have went with Clockwork Angels that starts at 3:14. Ironically there is a Carnies at 3:14 on your list.

Jeffrey, Unless you mean the little clicks on the sticks, there is no fill on Clockwork Angels at 3:14. It's just a really great drum pattern or part.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 29 2012, 08:56 PM)
These polls are getting slightly annoying. Neil never went anywhere.

No, he never went anywhere, but his drumming wasn't as inventive or as energetic as in the past or now in CA. It was a great album but I felt the only thing that S & A lacked was more aggressive drumming from Neil. I actually think the sound of his drum was better in S & A but those classic long drum fill were not present at all! It had its moments but it was a Far Cry from what they use to be and have recently become.

cool.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 30 2012, 03:02 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 29 2012, 08:56 PM)
These polls are getting slightly annoying. Neil never went anywhere.

No, he never went anywhere, but his drumming wasn't as inventive or as energetic as in the past or now in CA. It was a great album but I felt the only thing that S & A lacked was more aggressive drumming from Neil. I actually think the sound of his drum was better in S & A but those classic long drum fill were not present at all! It had its moments but it was a Far Cry from what they use to be and have recently become.

cool.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 29 2012, 07:42 PM)

Yep.

yep +2

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 29 2012, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Jul 29 2012, 07:45 PM)
Wasn't on the list but I would have went with Clockwork Angels that starts  at 3:14.  Ironically there is a Carnies at 3:14 on your list.

Jeffrey, Unless you mean the little clicks on the sticks, there is no fill on Clockwork Angels at 3:14. It's just a really great drum pattern or part.

confused13.gif

Well it's not so much a fill (thanks for pointing this out) but rather the stretch of drumming that occurs following the stick counting on CA. Great stuff. Reminds me of the chorus of TWTWB but it's even better during CA.