Thank GOD I was wrong!

rushgoober

Awhile back I started a somewhat infamous thread that I was dreading the release of CA. At the time I said:

I know "dread" is a strong word to use, but I'm just not looking forward to what I fear will be yet another late career, sub-standard release. Some will say I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I feel if anything I'm trying to prevent myself from being disappointed by keeping my expectations, based on my experience with the album so far, in check. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than have unrealistic expectations crushed.

At the time I really didn't care for Caravan & BU2B, and while I liked Headlong Flight, I wasn't loving it either. Somehow, magically, Headlong Flight really grew on me, and the first two tracks suddenly were brilliant when put into context. I truly didn't think context could save those songs, but they did.

Other than that, this is just an incredibly strong album. I listen to it in amazement each time, waiting for the other shoe to drop and for me to suddenly see it as mediocre, but it simply doesn't happen! If anything, it just keeps giving and giving and getting better and better with one great song after another!

There was a thread shortly before CA was released where people got to predict what numerical ranking the album would get. I gave it a 5, and then after I thought about it, thought 4 was more realistic. Now that it's out, I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. No, 8.5 is not a 10, but for them to make an album THAT good at this stage in their career I consider a miracle!

I was hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great songs, and I was skeptical I'd get that. In reality, there are at least 8 or 9! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I said in a recent thread:

I was the first person to say that I really hoped I was wrong about the upcoming album, that I would love it, that I never wanted to not like or love a Rush album. I just didn't think it was possible.

I also maintained when people tried to pigeonhole me as being too prejudiced against new Rush to like it, or to admit to liking it if I did, that I would give it more than a fair shot and listen objectively. I did. I'm not going to deny myself great Rush if I hear it because of being unwilling to let go of preconceived notions or maintaining some kind of image. F*ck that! 1287.gif

Sometimes it's awesome to be wrong. Clockwork Angels rocks! yes.gif 1287.gif 2.gif 1022.gif biggrin.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 26 2012, 11:12 AM)
It is actually a very good album, much better than I thought it would be coming off of such a long break.

Caravan has always kicked ass IMO.

I esp like the middle instrumental breakdown. The chorus is a bit monotonous, though.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 11:04 AM)
Awhile back I started a somewhat infamous thread that I was dreading the release of CA. At the time I said:

I know "dread" is a strong word to use, but I'm just not looking forward to what I fear will be yet another late career, sub-standard release. Some will say I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I feel if anything I'm trying to prevent myself from being disappointed by keeping my expectations, based on my experience with the album so far, in check. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than have unrealistic expectations crushed.

At the time I really didn't care for Caravan & BU2B, and while I liked Headlong Flight, I wasn't loving it either. Somehow, magically, Headlong Flight really grew on me, and the first two tracks suddenly were brilliant when put into context. I truly didn't think context could save those songs, but they did.

Other than that, this is just an incredibly strong album. I listen to it in amazement each time, waiting for the other shoe to drop and for me to suddenly see it as mediocre, but it simply doesn't happen! If anything, it just keeps giving and giving and getting better and better with one great song after another!

There was a thread shortly before CA was released where people got to predict what numerical ranking the album would get. I gave it a 5, and then after I thought about it, thought 4 was more realistic. Now that it's out, I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. No, 8.5 is not a 10, but for them to make an album THAT good at this stage in their career I consider a miracle!

I was hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great songs, and I was skeptical I'd get that. In reality, there are at least 8 or 9! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I was the first person to say that I really hoped I was wrong about the upcoming album, that I would love it, that I never wanted to not like or love a Rush album. I just didn't think it was possible.

I also maintained when people tried to pigeonhole me as being too prejudiced against new Rush to like it, or to admit to liking it if I did, that I would give it more than a fair shot and listen objectively. I did. I'm not going to deny myself great Rush if I hear it because of being unwilling to let go of preconceived notions or maintaining some kind of image. F*ck that! 1287.gif

Sometimes it's awesome to be wrong. Clockwork Angels rocks! yes.gif 1287.gif 2.gif 1022.gif biggrin.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif

Not a perfect record, but for me too, the enjoyment has increased with time. That did not happen with S and A with me. Good sign for CA's longevity and securing itself highly among Rush albums.....right now, fifth best Rush album for me.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 26 2012, 09:22 AM)
It is actually a very good album, much better than I thought it would be coming off of such a long break.

I esp like the middle instrumental breakdown. The chorus is a bit monotonous, though.

I think it's great all the way through. For a LONG time I couldn't relate to the whole "I can't stop thinking big" thing. It just didn't seem that inspiring to me, especially when compared with a song like Far Cry, but once I was able to hear it in context with the concept it clicked.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 05:04 PM)

That's basically my own experience with the album dating back to the initial release of Caravan and BU2B.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=792040

Except I rate it at probably between 9.4 and 9.6.

:::fanboy:::

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 11:26 AM)

For a LONG time I couldn't relate to the whole "I can't stop thinking big" thing. It just didn't seem that inspiring to me

Imagine how the British Repetriore's Acclaimed Wee Legion feels...

they can't stop thinking big!

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 26 2012, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 05:04 PM)
Awhile back I started a somewhat infamous thread that I was dreading the release of CA.  At the time I said:

That's basically my own experience with the album dating back to the initial release of Caravan and BU2B.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=792040

Except I rate it at probably between 9.4 and 9.6.

:::fanboy:::

Im profoundly touched.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 26 2012, 09:22 AM)

I think it's great all the way through. For a LONG time I couldn't relate to the whole "I can't stop thinking big" thing. It just didn't seem that inspiring to me, especially when compared with a song like Far Cry, but once I was able to hear it in context with the concept it clicked.

Tony was correct when saying "greater than sum of its parts". It's a true ALBUM in that sense, something very wholesome and retro in an age of singles and fast food music The concept nature of it elevates it more than had it just been a collection of disparate songs.

Ya gotta love a guy that quotes himself laugh.gif

You were not alone in that dread feeling of trepidation before the release!

Remember when the 30 " clips from the Italian website hit the forum (not the song intros, but from the middle of each song)? Everyone was in a panic, cause they did sound pretty bad! Wonder if those clips are still available?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 26 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2012, 12:17 PM)
Ya gotta love a guy that quotes himself  laugh.gif

metal dad, how hangs the hammer my friend???

Very well laugh.gif

They went in and nailed it - simple as that. Neil wrote great lyrics that inspired some wonderful melodic moments by Ged. Alex is playing with absolute joy and abandon.

I think some credit should be given to us fans, quite frankly.

The band was clearly moved and inspired by our love and enthusiasm during the Time Machine Tour, which was wonderful.

It spilled over into the sessions for CA.

Rushgoober, once again let me just say how relieved and happy I am they you live this album so much!

trink39.gif common001.gif cheer.gif icon_alienjig.gif

I expected more actually especially with vast improvement of S&A over VT. I thought Nick would really get the boys to pull out something spectacular. While it is good, and I like it, I still do not find it great because it has clunkers like Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and Carnies. Even the greatness of the title track can't elevate this out of a 7/10 star rating.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 26 2012, 01:47 PM)
I expected more actually especially with vast improvement of S&A over VT. I thought Nick would really get the boys to pull out something spectacular. While it is good, and I like it, I still do not find it great because it has clunkers like Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and Carnies. Even the greatness of the title track can't elevate this out of a 7/10 star rating.

Its cool. Least you're enjoying quite a bit of it.