More love for Headlong Flight

Gedneil Alpeart

When HF released as a single a month or two before the full album, I remember reading a lot of criticism about it here and elsewhere. Now that we hear the song in the full album context, it seems to have gathered higher praise when I see song ratings and other comments about the song since the album release.

For me too, I liked it more in the context of the full album, but Im wondering why. Yes, we now have the whole story for the song to be heard in lyrical context, but even musically, it just jumps out at me much better than it did when I first heard it.

Im wondering if the song prior to it, Wreckers, increased my liking for HF more due to some of the contrasts between the two songs. Interesting how hearing some songs consecutively can influence our opinion of the individual songs than just hearing them in isolation.....kind of like the perceptual illusion of seeing the same color darker or brighter depending on which other color it's paired with, making it not look like the same color or hue.

Anyone else share a similar experience?

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 23 2012, 07:53 PM)
When HF released as a single a month or two before the full album, I remember reading a lot of criticism about it here and elsewhere. Now that we hear the song in the full album context, it seems to have gathered higher praise when I see song ratings and other comments about the song since the album release.

For me too, I liked it more in the context of the full album, but Im wondering why. Yes, we now have the whole story for the song to be heard in lyrical context, but even musically, it just jumps out at me much better than it did when I first heard it.

Im wondering if the song prior to it, Wreckers, increased my liking for HF more due to some of the contrasts between the two songs. Interesting how hearing some songs consecutively can influence our opinion of the individual songs than just hearing them in isolation.....kind of like the perceptual illusion of seeing the same color darker or brighter depending on which other color it's paired with, making it not look like the same color or hue.

Bu2b and clock angels did something quite similar for me. Interesting observations.

Keep em coming brudda!!!

goodpost.gif

I keep loving the album with each spin and find all of songs exceptionally well crafted (yes, even the much maligned BU2B2...lots of love from this camp).

I believe the album is magnificent, certainly their strongest effort since Moving Pictures smilies-8579.png though I am still waiting for the honeymoon to wear off and won't truly know until this time next year when the NA tour is over and I replay the album to see how it holds up. I think it will do very, very well over time.

Loving all of it. smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 23 2012, 08:41 PM)
I keep loving the album with each spin and find all of songs exceptionally well crafted (yes, even the much maligned BU2B2...lots of love from this camp).

I believe the album is magnificent, certainly their strongest effort since Moving Pictures smilies-8579.png though I am still waiting for the honeymoon to wear off and won't truly know until this time next year when the NA tour is over and I replay the album to see how it holds up. I think it will do very, very well over time.

Loving all of it. smile.gif

Agree word for word with you, except that I think it's their strongest since Signals. But, aren't you glad that you're loving it so much? Would suck to have to wait for so long for a Rush album only to be disappointed. Glad I'm not one of them!

Yeah, hopefully it holds up well over time and like you, I predict it will!

trink39.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 23 2012, 09:46 PM)

I believe the album is magnificent, certainly their strongest effort since Moving Pictures smilies-8579.png though I am still waiting for the honeymoon to wear off and won't truly know until this time next year when the NA tour is over and I replay the album to see how it holds up.  I think it will do very, very well over time.

Loving all of it.  smile.gif

Agree word for word with you, except that I think it's their strongest since Signals. But, aren't you glad that you're loving it so much? Would suck to have to wait for so long for a Rush album only to be disappointed. Glad I'm not one of them!

trink39.gif 1022.gif

Wish Them Well

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 23 2012, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 23 2012, 07:53 PM)
When HF released as a single a month or two before the full album, I remember reading a lot of criticism about it here and elsewhere.  Now that we hear the song in the full album context, it seems to have gathered higher praise when I see song ratings and other comments about the song since the album release.

For me too, I liked it more in the context of the full album, but Im wondering why.  Yes, we now have the whole story for the song to be heard in lyrical context, but even musically, it just jumps out at me much better than it did when I first heard it.

Im wondering if the song prior to it, Wreckers, increased my liking for HF more due to some of the contrasts between the two songs.  Interesting how hearing some songs consecutively can influence our opinion of the individual songs than just hearing them in isolation.....kind of like the perceptual illusion of seeing the same color darker or brighter depending on which other color it's paired with, making it not look like the same color or hue.

Bu2b and clock angels did something quite similar for me. Interesting observations.

Keep em coming brudda!!!

goodpost.gif

Caravan and BU2B grew on me immensely in context. Headlong Flight didn't, as I thought they lyrics were great regardless..

Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT song, but it was growing and growing on me prior to the album being released. It's one of the best songs on the album, but not necessarily because of context. In fact, it works brilliantly on its own.

So rewarding to listen to this album in one. It works so well as a collective piece. Each song links up.

Hard pushed to think of a rush album that does this so well. Reminds me of Pink floyd's dsotm, for flowing ability~

i love all the references to their old material.

the best i can

the necromancer like narration

but most especially i love the fact that they are still cool10.gif ing....

I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels- clearly a nod to a passage to bangkok.

Steered the airship right across the stars- On my ship, the Rocinante

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 23 2012, 08:46 PM)

I believe the album is magnificent, certainly their strongest effort since Moving Pictures smilies-8579.png though I am still waiting for the honeymoon to wear off and won't truly know until this time next year when the NA tour is over and I replay the album to see how it holds up.  I think it will do very, very well over time.

Loving all of it.  smile.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif

Too funny. I consider it the strongest since Grace Under Pressure. There wasn't a weak track on that old album. Can you believe its been over 28 years ago ? I remember listening to it non-stop.

It grew on me quite a bit. One of the top 5 on the release. Sadly, others though have countered its greatness to drag the album experience down.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 24 2012, 08:37 AM)
The story doesn't really interest me compared to other great concept albums. Context didn't really do much.

I think it has something with not being able to understand Geddy without reading the lyrics.

That doesn't make any sense to me with this song in particular. I remember when the song was released prior to the album and we were able to decipher almost all of the lyrics pretty quickly. Other songs on the album are harder to get without the liner notes... but that's often been the case with Rush for a long time.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 24 2012, 08:40 AM)
Best since Permanent Waves in my book.

better than Moving Pictures?

does not compute.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 24 2012, 11:56 AM)

does not compute.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 24 2012, 10:59 AM)

does not compute.

goodpost.gif

Does not compute....hmmmmm....sounds like an old commodore 64 model yer workin with there!

Moving Pictures is a great album no doubt. Clockwork Angels is just better. I know, I know...now I'll be the subject of a witch hunt.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 24 2012, 09:08 AM)

does not compute.

goodpost.gif

Does not compute....hmmmmm....sounds like an old commodore 64 model yer workin with there!

Moving Pictures is a great album no doubt. Clockwork Angels is just better. I know, I know...now I'll be the subject of a witch hunt.

rofl3.gif

More like subject of a wrong hunt since you're wrong. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2012, 10:53 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 24 2012, 08:37 AM)
The story doesn't really interest me compared to other great concept albums. Context didn't really do much.

I think it has something with not being able to understand Geddy without reading the lyrics.

That doesn't make any sense to me with this song in particular. I remember when the song was released prior to the album and we were able to decipher almost all of the lyrics pretty quickly. Other songs on the album are harder to get without the liner notes... but that's often been the case with Rush for a long time.

But even if you get the lyrics to HF, it doesn't really matter for context if you don't understand the context.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2012, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 24 2012, 09:08 AM)

does not compute.

goodpost.gif

rofl3.gif

More like subject of a wrong hunt since you're wrong. wink.gif tongue.gif

When you go to your Moving Pictures support group, do you wear a Fez and tassle?

I loved this songs as soon at was released. However, Now I have grown to appreciate it even more as the highlight or Climax of Clockwork Angels. The Album is a beautifully constructed work, culminating into a climax with Headlong Flight. The three tunes that follow are more of a tacet or reflection of the story or character. Telling us how the main character ended up. Like the final saliloquy.

If it were Star Wars, (Headlong Flight) would be the attach and destruction of the 2nd Death Star, While BU2B2, Wish them Well and The Garden, Would be all that Followed, from Leia's Reveal to Han(BU2B2) The Ewok Celebration (Wish them Well) The Burning of Darth Vader body and Apparitions in the Force (The Garden)!

Ok, Nerdy I know, But who cares, it was only a matter of time before I would join my two loves. Rush and Star Wars!

laugh.gif

Regardless, All the songs prior to Headlong Flight lead incredibly into Headlong FLight. Its Awesome, and another Instant modern Rush Classic.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 11:31 AM)
I loved this songs as soon at was released. However. Now I have grown to appreciate it as the highlight or Climax of Clockwork Angels. The Album is a beautifully constructed work, culminating into a climax with Headlong Flight. The three tunes that follow are more of a tacet or reflection of the story or character. Telling us how the main character ended up. Like the final saliloquy.

If it were Star Wars, (Headlong Flight) would be the attach and destruction of the 2nd Death Star, While BU2B2, Wish them Well and The Garden, Would be all that Followed, from Leia's Reveal to Han(BU2B2) The Ewok Celebration (Wish them Well) The Burning of Darth Vader body and Apparitions in the Force (The Garden)!

Ok, Nerdy I know, But who cares, it was only a matter of time before I would join my two loves. Rush and Star Wars!

laugh.gif

Regardless, All the songs prior to Headlong Flight lead incredibly into Headlong FLight. Its Awesome, and another Instant modern Rush Classic.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Thank you Obi Wan Kenobi---you were our only hope!!!

trink39.gif