1. 1. Presto or Snakes And Arrows?

• Presto
    • Snakes And Arrows

The people are speaking. Presto is winning. I'm happily suprised. atickhum.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my signature implies, I can't get enough of Presto. I've been hooked since the start of this year.

I like the whole Presto/RTB sound they had going.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 20 2012, 10:24 AM)
that's a tough one because they both suck but i'll take presto because available light is ok and s & a just sucks immensely. biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

I'm not going to vote because I don't want to reward either one of these.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 20 2012, 08:13 PM)
Well, despite so many TRF people for some reason making a 180 in the last 5 years and throwing Snakes & Arrows completely under the bus

You know what they say, Older and Wiser yes.gif

Oh , i forgot , Presto . S&A blows

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 12:48 PM)

Yeah S&A blows Presto away!

laugh.gif

Presto with it's tupperware drum sound, super thin bass, and Superconductor and Hand Over Fist and Red Tide a terrible trio if ever there was...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2012, 01:24 PM)

laugh.gif

Presto with it's tupperware drum sound, super thin bass, and Superconductor and Hand Over Fist and Red Tide a terrible trio if ever there was...

tongue.gif

Bad production ? Yes but The Pass is better than any song on that shitfest S&A yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 01:27 PM)

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Bad production ? Yes but The Pass is better than any song on that shitfest S&A yes.gif

I find The Pass a bit overrated, it's not even the best song on the album, I prefer Presto, Chain Lightning, Show Don't Tell, War Paint, Available Light all are good and better than the Pass which is still decent...

I'm not big on Scars as well as the other weak tracks...

Presto is probably my least favourite RUSH album, it's got sour kind of vibe to the whole thing. I tend to put it away once I've listened to it...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2012, 02:24 PM)

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

On the money! goodpost.gif

It is a painful listen from a sound quality perspective. It is almost as bad a listening to AM radio.

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

http://cache.thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Movies/Features/frank_the_tank.jpg

"You're... you're crazy, man. I like you, but you're crazy"

Edited by HamiltonYYZ

Presto is one of Rush's best albums

The band even disagrees, but I don't care at all and would argue the point to them that the production was perfectly suited to the time it was released. Yes, it has a very airy and light feel to it. So what?

Lyrically it's one of Neils best.

I mean, talk about melodies. This is the Album where Geddy became a singer

Snakes and Arrows is very good, but Presto is among Rush's best. It marked an energetic return for the band from the sterility and blandness of Hold Your Fire.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 24 2012, 02:12 AM)

The band even disagrees, but I don't care at all and would argue the point to them that the production was perfectly suited to the time it was released. Yes, it has a very airy and light feel to it. So what?

Snakes and Arrows is very good, but Presto is among Rush's best. It marked an energetic return for the band from the sterility and blandness of Hold Your Fire.

It's too dance-orientated and poppy, it has a kind of sour, dry, downbeat, off vibe which doesn't help the overall album atmosphere and the production is thin and weak, with plant pot snare drum, rubber band bass notes and toy plastic tennis racquet guitar tone.

Plus there's a few real stinkers on there.

trink36.gif

Don't get me wrong despite all that it's got a cache of good songs and is decent overall but to me the weakest of the RUSH canon...

Presto. Much more melodic, wonderful vocals and terrific songs! yes.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 24 2012, 12:12 AM)

If by best, you mean worst, then I agree with you 100%. wink.gif

The production doesn't bother me at all.

The lyrics are what bothers me. That was the one thing to me that instantly stood out about Presto. The lyrics took a sharp downturn from everything that came before, with a couple of notable exceptions.

Presto is catchy as hell and has great melodies. I'll give the album that. So yeah, it's easy to sing along to... until I realize what cheesy, cringeworthy lyrics it so often has, and then I have to stop.

Hold Your Fire was SOOOO much better than Presto. Great melodies to go along with great lyrics and amazing synths (the last two songs admittedly are crap). Presto wasn't a return to anything. In fact, it was their first disappointing album, ending a near perfect run from 74-87.

Edited by rushgoober

Presto is probably my overall favorite Rush album outside of Moving Pictures. I like all the songs on it except for Scars.

S&A has some fantastic tracks on it, but there are several on there that I pretty much skip over every time.

Presto! biggrin.gif

I can't vote...I keep going back and forth.

Presto has some fantastic songs, but it was the first Rush album where I found myself being disappointed about song direction and production.

I also disliked the sound of the Bass on this album and the lessening of the playing from that of HYF.

It also contains my least favorite Rush track of all time...Superconductor.

Snakes and Arrows sounds great and contains great songs. I don't hear a song as strong as Available Light or Show Don't Tell...or the Pass for that matter.

I don't like the Larger Bowl or Hope, but they are no where near as offensive as Superconductor.

Still can't vote. Both great albums with small flaws.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 24 2012, 03:39 AM)
Presto. Much more melodic, wonderful vocals and terrific songs! yes.gif 1287.gif

cool10.gif

Well something is amiss here. Based on the two other threads where they are rated they are neck and neck. This poll brought out the Presto fanbois.

Presto = 6.79/10

S&A = 6.75/10

At Progarchives

Presto 3.12/5 (413 ratings )

S&A 3.57/5 (495 ratings)