Modern Technologies You Wish Had Not Been Invented

noisorroCmrotS

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 18 2012, 04:34 PM)
If there's something wrong with facebook then you probably aren't using it correctly.

Facebook is nothing...

Suckerberg took his hands and grabbed at thin air took it to Wall Street and sold that air and he is worth billions, but he and his book are nothing! He's an asshat and a private information-collecting douche bag!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's something wrong with facebook then you probably aren't using it correctly.

Facebook is a great idea. It's a great tool for keeping in touch with people who are distant geographically.

BUT

it's also a STUPID tool for keeping in touch with people who LIVE IN YOUR TOWN, GO TO YOUR SCHOOL/WORK, LIVE IN YOUR OWN HOUSE EVEN.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 18 2012, 04:18 PM)
24/7 News should be banned, outlawed, and eradicated. 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

TV news programs used to be about bringing real news stories. Now, it's all about ratings, entertainment, political propaganda, celebrity-driven garbage. If anything has "dumbed down" the American people, it's been 24/7 News....

yes.gif goodpost.gif Agree. I think the 24/7 cable news channels(particularly FoxNews, but they're all guilty to some degree) have contributed more to the animosity between Americans than anything else. The US government is running roughshod over its own people, and the peoples of the rest of the world, and we get a story about a cat stuck in a tree, somewhere in Maryland, constant political polls, crap about the royal family in England, celebrity news, and other junk. Stuff that matters isn't even mentioned, and they don't do anything to try and educate the average American. Recent example: gas prices went up in the spring. The media, instead of trying to educate the public on the truth of why the prices went up, just went ballistic trying to scare the public into believing that the gas prices would be $10 per gallon, by summer, which DID NOT happen. The media could have given the sober truth, encouraged people to maybe commute a little more, combine trips, buy a smaller car, walk a little more, etc., but they didn't, because, LIKE YOU SAID, that doesn't get ratings.

It is a pathetic discourse on the US society.

I'd also say that the cell phone may be causing more harm than good. Texting, to be more specific. That technology could be eliminated, and I wouldn't complain. It's really having an adverse affect on people's social skills.

Talking to people primarily via texting, e-mail, anything electronic is not healthy. Just my opinion......

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2012, 04:37 PM)

Facebook is nothing...

Suckerberg took his hands and grabbed at thin air took it to Wall Street and sold that air and he is worth billions, but he and his book are nothing! He's an asshat and a private information-collecting douche bag!

He can only collect what people give freely.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:21 PM)

Facebook is a great idea. It's a great tool for keeping in touch with people who are distant geographically.

BUT

it's also a STUPID tool for keeping in touch with people who LIVE IN YOUR TOWN, GO TO YOUR SCHOOL/WORK, LIVE IN YOUR OWN HOUSE EVEN.

I would disagree.

What I meant by my statement was that I have seen too many people on here complaining about other people annoying them on Facebook. There are essentially two rules I use.

1. Don't be afraid to block annoying people.

2. Only accept friend requests if when you read their name, you can picture what they look like (exceptions made for attractive girls that I don't know)

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 19 2012, 12:25 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2012, 04:37 PM)

Facebook is nothing...

He can only collect what people give freely.

Yeah so it's time for people to stop giving him stuff.

We'll start with you shall we?

Dump facebook today.

You know it makes sense.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 19 2012, 12:24 AM)
I actually enjoy Facebook, it helps me keep in contact with friends due to my distance away.

I hate the creation of reality television

I wouldn't call reality tv "modern technology"..."modern bullshit", yes; "technology", no.

Music forums!

Thousands of people writing rubbish about their favorite bands in order that other 'members' of the forum can agree or disagree then you get the inevitable arguments and to-ing & fro-ing of forum moderators trying to calm the situation or threatening to (Oh my God) 'ban' one or other or both of the perpetrators whilst right in the middle of the argument some 'joker' puts in a little emoticon or 'amusing' picture or if he's really lazy (as most of the socially malajusted members of music forums are let's face it) just types LOL in a vain attempt to interact in some way with other people effectively just saying "everyone look at me look at my post count please be my friend I've never had a girlfriend but I'm really cool even though I'm 53 and still live with mummy"...

'ang on...

+++looks at screen+++

+++looks at list of Favorites+++

Oh bugger

QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Jul 19 2012, 04:34 PM)
Music forums!

Thousands of people writing rubbish about their favorite bands in order that other 'members' of the forum can agree or disagree then you get the inevitable arguments and to-ing & fro-ing of forum moderators trying to calm the situation or threatening to (Oh my God) 'ban' one or other or both of the perpetrators whilst right in the middle of the argument some 'joker' puts in a little emoticon or 'amusing' picture or if he's really lazy (as most of the socially malajusted members of music forums are let's face it) just types LOL in a vain attempt to interact in some way with other people effectively just saying "everyone look at me look at my post count please be my friend I've never had a girlfriend but I'm really cool even though I'm 53 and still live with mummy"...

'ang on...

+++looks at screen+++

Oh bugger

laugh.gif And yet, you're a member here. wink.gif <----Look! I "put in a little emoticon"

And a moderator elsewhere (see sig below)

Although to be fair, I'm younger than 53 & don't still live with mummy...

Mind you, I am socially maladjusted (I like prog-rock, for God's sake!)

QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Jul 19 2012, 02:34 AM)
Music forums!

'ang on...

+++looks at screen+++

Oh bugger

I didn't know you knew Rushgoober...

huh.gif tongue.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 18 2012, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 08:34 AM)
Pro- Tools
I- Tunes

Yes, I too wish that people who make music for a living were even worse off than they already are.

People did just fine before all that bullshit . You don't get it

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2012, 11:54 AM)
Amazon and any online shopping. Is there something wrong with leaving your house and buying something?

Yes. Malls f*cking suck. Especially around the holidays. I love getting all of my Christmas shopping done online and not having to deal with the hordes of humanity. Plus there is that nice little bonus of no sales tax if you purchase from another state.

I like most technology. The one that I hate though are those traffic light cameras that take your picture if you run a light, and mail you a ticket.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 19 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2012, 11:54 AM)
Amazon and any online shopping. Is there something wrong with leaving your house and buying something?

Yes. Malls f*cking suck. Especially around the holidays. I love getting all of my Christmas shopping done online and not having to deal with the hordes of humanity. Plus there is that nice little bonus of no sales tax if you purchase from another state.

goodpost.gif

The few times that I've shopped online, I've saved a HUGE amount of money.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 05:33 AM)
Pro- Tools
I- Tunes

Yes, I too wish that people who make music for a living were even worse off than they already are.

The near-ubiquitous adoption of both technologies by people in the music business suggests, to me, that they weren't "just fine" without them.

Besides, it's not like they're doing any harm.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

facepalm.gif American Idol..without a doubt. no.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Narcissism at it's ABSOLUTE WORST, imo. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 07:33 AM)
Pro- Tools
I- Tunes

I have to say I do not like most digitally recorded or mastered music. Analog tapes were the shit. Nothing can compare.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 19 2012, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 07:33 AM)
Pro- Tools
I- Tunes

I have to say I do not like most digitally recorded or mastered music. Analog tapes were the shit. Nothing can compare.

Pandora Radio is pretty cool...You can listen to every single F'n band

that's ever existed..and then some on there....seriously.

I could really do without those damned safety beepers on every forklift, city worker vehicle, construction vehicle...... angry.gif angry.gif

The second they get put into the reverse, the beeping, BEEPING, BEEPING goes on and on and on.... fists crying.gif fists crying.gif wink.gif

The ability to download individual songs. I go to school with people who have never even listened to an album from front to back. I know this sounds snobby and elitist but I like to listen to albums in their entirety - how the artist intended them to be listened to rather than picking a few songs from an album and throwing them on shuffle.