The Wreckers is the most skippable track on CA.

Alchemical

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 3 2012, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jul 3 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 3 2012, 09:18 AM)
7SOG, not so much.

dazed025.gif

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

confused13.gif

wacko.gif

no.gif

1022.gif

yes.gif

Yeah, it's a great riffy Rush guitar song!

Want to like. Not sticking.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 3 2012, 10:01 AM)

Want to like [7CoG]. Not sticking.

I agree. I want to like "Seven Cities of Gold," but it's not sticking.

I want to like it because I'm a freak for bass guitar, and that bass work in the beginning is killer! But... the song sucks, so what am I to do? (I have the same issue with "Red Lenses" - great bass, bad song.)

The Wreckers might be my favorite tune on CA. But it is held back by the maddening decision to fade it out just when it sounded like a soaring Lifeson solo was ready to take flight. I'm hoping they'll stretch it out live. It might be my favorite simply because more than any other tune on the album it approaches a classic verse-melody and chorus hook akin to Spirit of Radio, Limelight, etc.

I thought Halo Effect was a skipper, but I enjoyed it during my most recent listen. Wish Them Well is definitely a skipper for me and the only song on the album I really can't stand. So far Seven Cities of Gold isn't doing much for me, but I'm not skipping it, because I think it has value that I have simply yet to recognize. And finally, I don't mind BU2B2 at all. It's short and different.

This is the first time I've weighed in on the new album, and I regret that I'm not being more articulate. But I've been traveling and busy.

It was definitely a grower for me, but it's really beginning to sink in and I think it's at least their best album since Hold Your Fire, and maybe their best since Signals, which is my favorite Rush album--so that's saying quite a bit. On the first two or three spins I was entirely underwhelmed. And as mentioned I do think there's some filler. But every album since Signals has contained filler IMHO. The more I kept that in mind the more I opened up to CA's value. (I went in hoping to hear a masterpiece, which wasn't fair, or the right approach.) The "filler" on CA is superior to some of the best tracks on albums like Presto, Roll the Bones, and even Counterparts as far as I'm concerned.

But yes, I LOVE The Wreckers and do NOT love Wish Them Well.

wink.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 3 2012, 08:37 AM)
The Wreckers might be my favorite tune on CA. But it is held back by the maddening decision to fade it out just when it sounded like a soaring Lifeson solo was ready to take flight. I'm hoping they'll stretch it out live.

I listened to the album a few times before I heard anyone complain about this. One time when I listened again I paid attention to the fact that the song faded out since people seemed to be bothered by it. Just like the first few times I heard the song, it seems like a big nothing that the song fades out - makes no difference to me. The song is great. Fading it out doesn't register to me positively or negatively at all, in fact, usually I don't even notice that it fades out. No offense to you or anyone, but it seems like a silly thing to get caught up on. confused13.gif

7SOG, not so much.

dazed025.gif

confused13.gif

wacko.gif

no.gif

1022.gif

yes.gif

Teflon ears?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 10:41 AM)
The Wreckers might be my favorite tune on CA. But it is held back by the maddening decision to fade it out just when it sounded like a soaring Lifeson solo was ready to take flight. I'm hoping they'll stretch it out live.

I listened to the album a few times before I heard anyone complain about this. One time when I listened again I paid attention to the fact that the song faded out since people seemed to be bothered by it. Just like the first few times I heard the song, it seems like a big nothing that the song fades out - makes no difference to me. The song is great. Fading it out doesn't register to me positively or negatively at all, in fact, usually I don't even notice that it fades out. No offense to you or anyone, but it seems like a silly thing to get caught up on. confused13.gif

It's not "silly" to me. This is the first time I've said anything about the album at all. It was a considered point, at least I thought. As mentioned, The Wreckers is my favorite track on the album, and I invoked The Spirit of Radio and Limelight in my praise for it. I noticed the fade out on my first spin. I knew about 20 seconds into The Wreckers that it was my favorite track and I was totally digging it. Then I noticed with 16 seconds left Lifeson launches a stellar sounding solo with wonderful tone and they kill it. I think even just five or ten more seconds of it would have been much more satisfying. All I'm really saying is that I like it so much I want more of it... tongue.gif

Again, it's my favorite track on an album that is probably my favorite since Signals. It's okay to have a few criticisms, no? If anything isn't that an indication that I'm listening carefully? wink.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 3 2012, 09:49 AM)

It's not "silly" to me. This is the first time I've said anything about the album at all. It was a considered point, at least I thought. As mentioned, The Wreckers is my favorite track on the album, and I invoked The Spirit of Radio and Limelight in my praise for it. I noticed the fade out on my first spin. I knew about 20 seconds into The Wreckers that it was my favorite track and I was totally digging it. Then I noticed with 16 seconds left Lifeson launches a stellar sounding solo with wonderful tone and they kill it. I think even just five or ten more seconds of it would have been much more satisfying. All I'm really saying is that I like it so much I want more of it... tongue.gif

Again, it's my favorite track on an album that is probably my favorite since Signals. It's okay to have a few criticisms, no? If anything isn't that an indication that I'm listening carefully? wink.gif

It's all good, and I did totally appreciate and understand that you were coming from a place of loving the song. It was just a non-issue for me. It's cool if it is for you.

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 3 2012, 12:01 PM)
7SOG, not so much.

dazed025.gif

confused13.gif

wacko.gif

no.gif

1022.gif

yes.gif

Teflon ears?

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 01:11 PM)

It's all good, and I did totally appreciate and understand that you were coming from a place of loving the song. It was just a non-issue for me. It's cool if it is for you.

Indeed, it's all good. I was just caught off guard and got a little defensive. I've always looked up to you as a model of an intelligent and respectful forum member who thinks about and listens critically to Rush's music. That's all I was trying to achieve with my own contribution.

That was the first time I've said anything about the new album. And as the first friend I made on this forum I was confused by your decision to isolate just one aspect of my admittedly hasty post.

I absolutely love the album, but it was slow going at first. Like you, I listen critically and expect nothing but the best from Rush. Yes? laugh.gif

I am in the "The Wreckers is the best or close to the best song on CA" camp. The tracks I would classify as filler are Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and The Garden (which I know many people like). I think there are only 3 tracks of filler and while most of us would disagree on what those three tracks are, most people seem to list about 3 tracks they don't care for. This is a marked improvement on any Rush album since Presto IMHO where typically I really like half the songs and could do without the other half (except for S&A where I could do without the whole thing).

Fadeouts vs. cold endings are probably a non-issue for just about everyone... but that's not exactly what he was saying. He said what bothered him was that the song faded-out just as Alex was firing into a guitar solo. I can certainly understand that being an issue for someone.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 3 2012, 01:15 PM)

Fadeouts vs. cold endings are probably a non-issue for just about everyone... but that's not exactly what he was saying. He said what bothered him was that the song faded-out just as Alex was firing into a guitar solo. I can certainly understand that being an issue for someone.

I guess I'll have to listen again as I never noticed that either. Regardless, it's all good. trink39.gif

I really love the lyrics in this song. Great message about falling for the Red Herring in life and being blindsided when it bursts into flames in front of us. The miracle too good to be true, the truth is contrary to everything you thought you knew just to find out you really don't know anything.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 3 2012, 04:26 PM)
I really love the lyrics in this song. Great message about falling for the Red Herring in life and being blindsided when it bursts into flames in front of us. The miracle too good to be true, the truth is contrary to everything you thought you knew just to find out you really don't know anything.

Do you read the lyrics in the bath?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 3 2012, 12:15 PM)

Different Strings comes to mind. I wish that had gone on a lot longer. biggrin.gif

I just don't understand this mentality of skipping tracks. Fair enough if it's a compilation album & there are one or two tracks that you are not into but when a quality band like Rush has taken the time to skillfully craft a concept album and designed the tracks to be heard in a particular sequence... why would you want to miss any of it?

To me it's like skipping a chapter in a book or film.