Clockwork Angels, a Masterpiece

canadianice

While I've been reticent to declare Clockwork Angels a masterpiece too quickly, after three months now of pretty steady listening I think I've finally been able to absorb it all and take it all in. The breadth and scope of their achievement is really quite stunning with moments of incredible power, grace, emotion and beauty. The passion and effort that went into its creation really deserves to be experienced as a complete work from beginning to end and with repeated listenings its depth and brilliance is truly revealed.

So yes I'm now ready to officially to state for the record that Clockwork Angels is a masterpiece and among Rush's greatest work. A classic in every sense. yes.gif wub.gif 2.gif 1022.gif smile.gif

Got the new album the day it was released. I've listened to it a solid 10-15 completely through since then and it is definitely a masterpieces and will rest comfortably in my Top 5 Rush albums. This one will not get old or dated any time soon.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Aug 24 2012, 02:03 PM)
I have labeled CA as a "masterpiece" as well. I believe it is, at least for me and my listening pleasure. The "rush fanboi" critique is lame, tired, and uninspired. Time to lose that, it's a bad joke.

I agree.

I like 99% of Rush's music and I make a choice not to utterly bash the stuff I don't. Somehow, the internet commandos of the world decided that makes me a fanboy.

Clockwork Angels holds it own live as well. Possibly the best 50 minutes of consecutive music from any one album ever. And thats without BU2B. Only Moving Pictures and Hemispheres may be better. A wonderful gift in the twilight of their career. A true Masterpiece!

Some Bands Peak! RUSH creates Mountain Ranges!

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 16 2012, 10:15 PM)
Clockwork Angels holds it own live as well. Possibly the best 50 minutes of consecutive music from any one album ever. And thats without BU2B. Only Moving Pictures and Hemispheres may be better. A wonderful gift in the twilight of their career. A true Masterpiece!

Some Bands Peak! RUSH creates Mountain Ranges!

It certainly does hold its own...and not to mention the majority of people at the concert WANT to hear this music played live. A masterpiece...better than Yes Tormato laugh.gif

Musically speaking, it is indeed a masterpiece, but I really think that at some point down the road, it needs to be remastered by someone who has mixed Rush before and doesn't master mostly hip-hop albums. Bring back Peter Collins. Hell, bring back Terry Brown one last time, I'm sure that would be a lot of fun to hear his take on the new material. Edited by ShowgunSam

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Sep 17 2012, 01:59 PM)
Musically speaking, it is indeed a masterpiece, but I really think that at some point down the road, it needs to be remastered by someone who has mixed Rush before and doesn't master mostly hip-hop albums. Bring back Peter Collins. Hell, bring back Terry Brown one last time, I'm sure that would be a lot of fun to hear his take on the new material.

what if this is the way the band WANTED the album to sound? Just sayin...

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Sep 17 2012, 03:57 PM)
I can't wait for the live recording.  I hope that somehow it ends up with all the songs from the album in.

I agree. I had that thought during the show. This is going to look and sound awesome on DVD and CD!

2.gif 1022.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2012, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 2 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 30 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2012, 06:20 AM)
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22751345.jpg

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

Care to define why it isn't a masterpiece?

So far none of you negative nancys haven't done that.

When I think of a "masterpiece" (and I don't classify many albums as such), I think of a perfect album of songs and top notch production. An overall FLAWLESS album. CA is not even close in any way, shape, or form. Sorry..

laugh.gif Nice pic! Yeah while I agree the fanboi fraternity can get carried away somewhat, I'll also say this album has grown like no other. Keep in there Fields and it should at least rest on the middle tier for you trink39.gif

Absolute masterpiece, im now more impressed with it after reading the book. Im in awe of the way they were able to tell the story while still keeping the songs to stand on their own. Love the material and i absolutely love the mastering/mixing/production that some others dislike.It's a heavy record and that makes the urgency of the tracks as well as the battle between order and chaos stand out.

I heartily agree. This album is a Masterpiece.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/funny-animal-captions-animal-capshunz-bow-to-the-tortoise.jpg

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 14 2012, 02:19 AM)
While I've been reticent to declare Clockwork Angels a masterpiece too quickly, after three months now of pretty steady listening I think I've finally been able to absorb it all and take it all in. The breadth and scope of their achievement is really quite stunning with moments of incredible power, grace, emotion and beauty. The passion and effort that went into its creation really deserves to be experienced as a complete work from beginning to end and with repeated listenings its depth and brilliance is truly revealed.

So yes I'm now ready to officially to state for the record that Clockwork Angels is a masterpiece and among Rush's greatest work. A classic in every sense. yes.gif wub.gif 2.gif 1022.gif smile.gif

I've been listening to the album regularly since its release and I like it more each time I listen to it, which is a good sign. I think it is comparable to the earlier theme albums like Hemispheres and 2112. I'm just impressed they can produce quality work like this after so many years. Who else can we compare that to? Enjoyed the Fly By Night album when I first heard it in 1978, and still enjoying the band with Clockwork Angels release 34 years later, just awesome.

• Like 1

I have waited a while before giving what I consider a full opinion of the new album because I wanted to truly digest it and let my initial enthusiasm wear off so that I could give a "fair and balanced" review. While I dont think its a classic, I do think its a very very strong album and the best one they've made since Counterparts. The best album they've ever made? Not quite, but how many other bands that have been out as long as they have are putting out albums anywhere NEAR this awesome? They dont exist. Heck, Pete Townsend says its a waste of time to even MAKE an album. Then again, what do you expect from a guy who hasnt made a great album since Quadrophenia!

For me, it's a great album and one of the top 5 Rush albums I enjoy the most, the others being Hemispheres, Waves, Pictures and Windows. If I ranked them I'd have Hemispheres at 1, and I'd rank it as a masterpiece, then Pictures 2, Waves 3, Angels 4 and Windows 5.

QUOTE (The Body Electric @ Sep 21 2012, 07:42 PM)
This is a funny forum  biggrin.gif 

So many people who want to be pleased by Rush but who can't bring themselves to be.

CA is the best album Rush have EVER made, if you consider it without your nostalgic know-it-all-arse-head on. Way too many people who cant see the wood because they are precious about "the Trees" imo ;-)

I thought they were in a World lit up by fire? Where is this forest you speak of?

confused13.gif

Edited by losingit2k

1022.gif Hey there rush fans!!! Time to appreciate the nads of Clockwork Angels again. 1022.gif

Been going through the catalog of Rush material. Specifically listening to AFTK and Hemispheres...then Counterparts, Vapor Trails (some trash this album but sorry it's such the revelation IMO), & Pow's.

Clockwork Angels is such a leap forward from these efforts. The production of CA something special. No other album sounds as full and rich to me. Also, the length of the album makes it the heavyweight of all their albums. It bursts with new energy, authority, and beauty not found in the Rush canon.