Aqualung 40th Anni Remix

sullysue

Have we done this? I can't find the thread if we have, and I HAVE to talk about it.

What SW has done with this classic album is nothing short of miraculous. It's incredibly beautiful. Cross Eyed Mary, Locomotive Breath and Hymn 43 sound almost like they were re-recorded from scratch for it, that's how pristine the sound is. I'm completely obsessed with the whole remastered album. It is a thing of beauty. smile.gif

Have you guys heard this? What say you?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 29 2012, 09:58 PM)
I got it for Christmas last year. Its much better than the original. yes.gif

Seriously, this. It sounds much more surreal, which is odd, because normally older recordings are the more surreal sounding ones. But SW has a knack for making surreal stuff wub.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 29 2012, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 29 2012, 08:28 PM)
I've heard the original obviously

Um. Ok.

Have you heard the remaster?

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 29 2012, 10:54 PM)
have you

okay fine, I haven't

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread, sonic?

I've heard both. I found that Locomotive breath was a lot clearer and packed more punch than the original. The only problem I had with it was that the album was mixed a little too quietly, I have to crank my stereo whenever I listen to it and then drop the volume when I go back to anything else.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 30 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 30 2012, 05:40 AM)
I've got the new version but not listened to it yet, it's still in it's wrapper...

biggrin.gif

Headcase. huh.gif wacko.gif

laugh.gif

I'll get around to it...

trink38.gif

I misspoke in the title of this thread. It's a remix, not a remaster. confused13.gif And, the quietness of it is kind of indicitive of Wilson's style. Something to do with maintaining quality without muddying the sound. He mentions it somewhere on one of either PT's or his solo works liner notes and adds that's what volume controls are for.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 30 2012, 07:34 PM)
I misspoke in the title of this thread. It's a remix, not a remaster. confused13.gif And, the quietness of it is kind of indicitive of Wilson's style. Something to do with maintaining quality without muddying the sound. He mentions it somewhere on one of either PT's or his solo works liner notes and adds that's what volume controls are for.

The 2011 remixed and remastered version by Steven Wilson

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 1 2012, 10:45 AM)
So, what is remixing and what is remastering? What's the difference?

A good example of the difference recently occurred with Black Sabbath's Born Again, which featured Ian Gillan on vocals. Lots of fans, and Gillan himself, complained about the original "mix" of the album, and how muddy it sounds. It sounds like you're listening to it over a telephone. The album was supposed to be remixed recently, but they lost the original source tapes, which apparently you need to completely "remix" the album. All they could do was "remaster" it, so what they just released is still the same old muddy mess. IMHO, it's very difficult to hear the improvement of most remasters.

I do like the Aqualung remix. I'm not an audiophile, and I listen to most music on an iPod, and I can hear the difference.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 30 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 29 2012, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 29 2012, 08:28 PM)
I've heard the original obviously

Um. Ok.

Have you heard the remaster?

have you

okay fine, I haven't

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread, sonic?

Sonic ? Really ? Ya never know laugh.gif

What SW was able to do with a notoriously bad master tape, is nothing short of phenomenal! It's like hearing a whole new album. I haven't listened to it in a while but it's never sounded so good (and I have the original vinyl as well as the DCC gold master/remasters/etc.).