CA and Prog

Gedneil Alpeart

How much "prog rock" do you hear in CA?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How much "prog rock" do you hear in CA?

• None at all. CA has only standard issue, common, contrite rock music
    • Only a little here and there, but hardly
    • A good amount of prog rock
    • Most of CA has prog rock elements
    • CA IS prog rock!

Description of prog rock on the net

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter." Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and later world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Based on this description, how much prog rock do you hear in CA?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 07:44 PM)
The title track definitely sounds prog to my ears. Beyond that, just little touches here and there. It's definitely NOT a prog album. no.gif

Tru Dat!

Only Clockwork Angels and the break in The Garden!

confused13.gif

I voted - Only a little here and there, but hardly

But even with the definition I'm not sure what prog rock is....to me.

I suppose some early Yes and Genesis styles would be my interpretation of prog.

Back to the post....Clockwork sounds more like 'Heavy Complex Rock' to me.

Maybe that should be the the industry's standard term to describe RUSH music.

I dont hear any of what I would consider prog in here in the least bit. It's still mostly the standard issue style alt rock that Geddy has been hung up on since I guess around CP or T4E.

Listen to the pre-chorus of 7 cities. Way too much of that crap on this album, stuff he's written many times before and cant escape it to do anything really inventive or out there. So many normal soundin rock choruses. Not many that are very exciting or get my blood racing at all.

Definitely not a prog album at all outside of the fact that it tells a story, and even that isnt nearly as out there as Hemispheres or 2112 in the way its told. Its just about some dude whos life didnt go as planned. How many times have we heard that story before?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 07:44 PM)
The title track definitely sounds prog to my ears.  Beyond that, just little touches here and there.  It's definitely NOT a prog album.  no.gif

Most of the songs have at least some part in them that feel prog but the title track I would say is very prog. It's like they reinvented music on that song!

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 10:16 PM)
I dont hear any of what I would consider prog in here in the least bit. It's still mostly the standard issue style alt rock that Geddy has been hung up on since I guess around CP or T4E.

Listen to the pre-chorus of 7 cities. Way too much of that crap on this album, stuff he's written many times before and cant escape it to do anything really inventive or out there. So many normal soundin rock choruses. Not many that are very exciting or get my blood racing at all.

Definitely not a prog album at all outside of the fact that it tells a story, and even that isnt nearly as out there as Hemispheres or 2112 in the way its told. Its just about some dude whos life didnt go as planned. How many times have we heard that story before?

Blsh blah blah....you are so damn effing predictable.

Your opinion is so alone.

laugh.gif

Can't people listen to music without trying to label it this or that? Who says the internet knows what progressive is? "Prog" is such a stupid term too. Just listen to it and if you like it, great. If you don't, great too. Stop trying to put things in neat little boxes. Rush generally defy category as a part of their career. Why not just categorize it as Rush?

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 27 2012, 11:25 AM)
Can't people listen to music without trying to label it this or that?

Of course not - you should know that by now! tongue.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 27 2012, 11:25 AM)
Who says the internet knows what progressive is? "Prog" is such a stupid term too. Just listen to it and if you like it, great. If you don't, great too. Stop trying to put things in neat little boxes. Rush generally defy category as a part of their career. Why not just categorize it as Rush?

Obviously in the end it all comes down to, "do you like the album or not?" I do, regardless of genre. Still, genre classification for me is fun. It's just fun conversation. You're right though in that Rush often defies easy categorization. I mostly refer to them just as "hard rock," as that's a pretty generic term they usually fit into.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 26 2012, 10:33 PM)

laugh.gif

That's it, Im calling the WAAAAAAMBULENCE on you. You start crying every time I post. How old are you?

It doesnt sound prog to me. AT ALL. I hear a bunch of safe normal sounding standard issue rock songs. What are you hearing? Hemispheres? Oh ok sure LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Go cry in a corner. Or grow up and just move along if you dont like what I write. I think you can manage to do that, can't you?

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2012, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 26 2012, 10:33 PM)

laugh.gif

That's it, Im calling the WAAAAAAMBULENCE on you. You start crying every time I post. How old are you?

It doesnt sound prog to me. AT ALL. I hear a bunch of safe normal sounding standard issue rock songs. What are you hearing? Hemispheres? Oh ok sure LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Go cry in a corner. Or grow up and just move along if you dont like what I write. I think you can manage to do that, can't you?

"WAAAAAMBULENCE"??? Ooooh....how clever.....lol.. Sounds like something a teenager would say, not a 36 year old middle aged man that you claim to be..... And you ask me how old I am? Classic projection.

You're not a Rush fan anymore, so just leave. Most of us will be glad.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif laugh.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart