Clockwork Angels is Progressive

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

I think the new album is awkwardly phenomenal....

Hear me out...

If the new RUSH album rubs your ears a little wrong.....It is a wonderful thing.

It is Rush music after all. ( remember when you first heard Hemispheres)

Progressive music, RUSH music, is meant to please a very small select few. This kind of music weeds out the many and leaves it's brilliance to the few.

There are not too many people who can handle the music associated with- ' When the weary world was young...' or ' Invisible to telescopic eye....' or 'Computerized clinic for superior cynics....' or....

'Celestial machinery -- move through your commands. Goddesses of mystery, so delicate and so grand'.

The complex, intense and utterly weird sounds we are hearing are meant to satisfy the artists that make them and excite the loyal fans, like us, who are tolerant to the awkwardness, understand the genius and strive to relate and embrace it.

It is not unlike Tchaikovsky's power.....The Sex Pistols attitude.....or Elvis's hips... Music is subjective and is supposed to incite a variety of responses.

RUSH music, progressive music, rock-n-roll, cutting edge music...whatever you want to call it...

This type of music is supposed to ' rub you a little wrong' ... it is supposed 'jab a stick in your ear' ...it is supposed to make you say " Wow!.... WTF am I hearing".

When I was young and still to this day, I'll hear some of my family or friends say..." You like RUSH?..." or " That's a little to heavy for me" or "RUSH is a bit too weird for me"

I say " Yes "... Yes, they are heavy.... Yes , they are complex....Yes, they are weird. Yes... I see how their sounds can freak out your ears... Good and bad.

My point is.....

If Clockwork Angels sounds strange or awkward or complex or weird.....

...or just beautiful...

It is supposed to.......

Be proud that you are in the select few who can call themselves a RUSH fan.

QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 25 2012, 11:38 PM)
I also enjoy justifying mediocre things by saying they're meant to be that way.

I respect your opinion but it must suck to be out on that small little island of people that think CA is mediocre.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 25 2012, 10:09 PM)

I respect your opinion but it must suck to be out on that small little island of people that think CA is mediocre.

u 2 can hav beaver fever

http://theskrilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Justin-Bieber-e1280255657872.jpg

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 25 2012, 08:39 PM)

Hear me out...

If the new RUSH album rubs your ears a little wrong.....It is a wonderful thing.

It is Rush music after all.  ( remember when you first heard Hemispheres)

Progressive music, RUSH music, is meant to please a very small select few. This kind of music weeds out the many and leaves it's brilliance to the few.

There are not too many people who can handle the music associated with-  ' When the weary world was young...' or  ' Invisible to telescopic eye....' or  'Computerized clinic for superior cynics....'  or....

'Celestial machinery -- move through your commands.  Goddesses of mystery, so delicate and so grand'.

The complex, intense and utterly weird sounds we are hearing are meant to satisfy the artists that make them and excite the loyal fans, like us, who are tolerant to the awkwardness, understand the genius and strive to relate and embrace it.

It is not unlike Tchaikovsky's power.....The Sex Pistols attitude.....or Elvis's hips...  Music is subjective and is supposed to incite a variety of responses.

RUSH music, progressive music, rock-n-roll, cutting edge music...whatever you want to call it...

This type of music is supposed to ' rub you a little wrong' ... it is supposed 'jab a stick in your ear' ...it is supposed to make you say " Wow!....  WTF am I hearing".

When I was young and still to this day, I'll hear some of my family or friends say..." You like RUSH?..." or " That's a little to heavy for me" or "RUSH is a bit too weird for me" 

I say " Yes "...  Yes, they are heavy.... Yes , they are complex....Yes, they are  weird.  Yes... I see how their sounds can freak out your ears... Good and bad.

My point is.....

...or just beautiful...

It is supposed to.......   

goodpost.gif

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 25 2012, 10:39 PM)

Hear me out...

There are not too many people who can handle the music associated with-  ' When the weary world was young...' or  ' Invisible to telescopic eye....' or  'Computerized clinic for superior cynics....'  or....

'Celestial machinery -- move through your commands.  Goddesses of mystery, so delicate and so grand'.

It is not unlike Tchaikovsky's power.....The Sex Pistols attitude.....or Elvis's hips...  Music is subjective and is supposed to incite a variety of responses.

This type of music is supposed to ' rub you a little wrong' ... it is supposed 'jab a stick in your ear' ...it is supposed to make you say " Wow!....  WTF am I hearing".

I say " Yes "...  Yes, they are heavy.... Yes , they are complex....Yes, they are  weird.  Yes... I see how their sounds can freak out your ears... Good and bad.

My point is.....

...or just beautiful...

It is supposed to.......   

laugh.gif What an entertaining post trink39.gif

Lot of that ground around here these days. I find it funny that he calls this progressive though. I hear a lot of safe standard issue rock parts and almost the entire album is in 4/4 outside of a couple parts here and there.

Rush is so far on the opposite end of progressive its amazing to me people even bring that word up anymore with them. Its been decades since theyve done anything anyone would consider progressive. How long ago was Hemispheres?

I was 2 at the time, and now Im almost a middle aged man.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 06:34 AM)

Lot of that ground around here these days. I find it funny that he calls this progressive though. I hear a lot of safe standard issue rock parts and almost the entire album is in 4/4 outside of a couple parts here and there.

Rush is so far on the opposite end of progressive its amazing to me people even bring that word up anymore with them. Its been decades since theyve done anything anyone would consider progressive. How long ago was Hemispheres?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif You act like a teenager, not a grown man.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 26 2012, 07:37 AM)

It's Middle-Aged Man! Having a Maalox Moment. And no, we're not looking at your gut. [jingle]He's Middle-Aged Man![/jingle]

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 26 2012, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 26 2012, 07:37 AM)

It's Middle-Aged Man! Having a Maalox Moment. And no, we're not looking at your gut. [jingle]He's Middle-Aged Man![/jingle]

tongue.gif

Once again he has to disagree. This clown is pathetic, and he was ragging on me for being old. Go away please.

I doubt very seriously that the band would agree with you.

Rush's music is for anyone and everyone who likes it - be they 100 people or 100 million. The band makes music that THEY like, and they hope that it pleases lots of people.

Lots and lots of people....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 26 2012, 08:50 AM)

I doubt very seriously that the band would agree with you.

Rush's music is for anyone and everyone who likes it - be they 100 people or 100 million. The band makes music that THEY like, and they hope that it pleases lots of people.

Lots and lots of people....

In the 'Big Picture'...

I do believe RUSH fans are a small select few. The band's longevity has allowed the fan base to swell a bit.....but still a relatively small group of fans....especially when compared to other artists, such as...

The Beatles....The Eagles.....or even Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.

Rush, Geddy Lee I believe, even stated in the documentary how RUSH fans are like a 'cult following'....the largest albeit.

When you say " I doubt very seriously that the band would agree with you. "

I'm not sure what you mean?

I believe they make their music for themselves first....and then to what I think they would agree - to a very (relatively) small select and loyal fan base. RUSH supports my belief by having never gone mainstream with their style and staying true to what they believe that themselves, family, friends, peers and fans would want and have come to expect.

You could go 'door-to-door' throughout the World and find a VERY SMALL group of RUSH fans in comparison to A-Z other rock bands.

I realize there are hundreds of thousands of RUSH fans out there... But we are a small select few...in my opinion.

As far as "weeding out the many" It is a known fact that RUSH music is not for the average rock music fan.

I should have never used the 'progressive' term in my original post.....my bad....that term is way too subjective.

I stay with 'weird and complex'.....

And to re-iterate my original point...

When I hear people say they don't like RUSH, and even loyal fans that say they don't like the 'new' RUSH... I smile and say " RUSH is special, different and is not for everyone"

And to the loyal fans who say " I don't like the newer RUSH", some of my closest friends included, I say.....

I guess your musical tastes have changed a bit.....it's okay.

RUSH hasn't changed much....(in regards to )...They have always been complex, awkward and weird.

If you don't like the new RUSH.....it's okay....join the mass of humanity who doesn't.

If you do like the new RUSH.....know that, and be proud of the fact you are in a select group of fans who like to deviate from the norm.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 04:34 AM)

I hear a lot of safe standard issue rock parts and almost the entire album is in 4/4 outside of a couple parts here and there.

What are you talking about?............most the album is straight forward progressive Rush stuff along with some ballads (which they've always had)................What album are you actually listening too? Probably not CA.

Hear me out...

My point is.....

...or just beautiful...

It is supposed to.......   

goodpost.gif

Great point! I would much rather see Rush take chances and come up with something a little weird (seriously, a sci-fi concept album in 2012? 1022.gif ) rather than play it safe like on Test For Echo IMO.

I find it funny that he calls this progressive though. I hear a lot of safe standard issue rock parts and almost the entire album is in 4/4 outside of a couple parts here and there.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

Trenken, when are you going to post some clips from your album so we can hear some REAL prog rock, instead of Rush's standard issue rock songs? confused13.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 26 2012, 06:51 PM)
I find it funny that he calls this progressive though. I hear a lot of safe standard issue rock parts and almost the entire album is in 4/4 outside of a couple parts here and there.

Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

Trenken, when are you going to post some clips from your album so we can hear some REAL prog rock, instead of Rush's standard issue rock songs? confused13.gif

Go listen to early Van Der Graaf Generator, Yes, King Crimson etc if you want to hear real progressive rock. Rush never was a full on "prog" band, and I sincerely they'll ever come as close to it again as they did with Hemispheres.

QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 26 2012, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 26 2012, 06:51 PM)

Go listen to early Van Der Graaf Generator, Yes, King Crimson etc if you want to hear real progressive rock. Rush never was a full on "prog" band, and I sincerely they'll ever come as close to it again as they did with Hemispheres.

Uh... yeah. unsure.gif Or Marillion, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Spocks Beard, Brand X, Transatlantic, etc. It's my favorite genre. trink36.gif And, yes, Rush probably hit their prog peak on Hemispheres.

But I'm curious to hear Trenken's music to see how it compares to Rush and The Mars Volta (his favorites, I think).

Edited by They Bow Defeated