Portnoy v Mangini

treeduck

Porkbelly opera or grateful butt licker  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Porkbelly opera or grateful butt licker

• Gini
    • Mike

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 22 2012, 03:19 AM)
I was a big DT and Portnoy fan years ago and when they replaced him I checked out Mangini, and thought he was amazing. Much more "musical" of a drummer for sure, but probably doesn't have all the chops Portnoy has. Being able to play all that stuff is fine and all, but it should be musical, and Portnoy isn't very musical, Mangini is.
Now Gavin Harrison is a guy with serious chops, and is a very musical drummer. Love his style.

Notes are just notes, and lots of guys can play notes. Very few actually play musically.

Gavin is the best rock drummer alive today, IMHO. Was completely blown away when I saw him on the Deadwing tour.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2012, 01:58 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 22 2012, 12:23 AM)
I suggest you listen to some Porcupine Tree from the last 10 years.  Harrison's playing in Anesthetize alone destroys anything any other drummer has done in the last decade, and that includes Peart.

There's dozens of drummers on Harrison's level in rock and jazz and beyond.

yes.gif but i won't waste my time

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2012, 01:58 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 22 2012, 12:23 AM)
I suggest you listen to some Porcupine Tree from the last 10 years.  Harrison's playing in Anesthetize alone destroys anything any other drummer has done in the last decade, and that includes Peart.

There's dozens of drummers on Harrison's level in rock and jazz and beyond.

Like Meg White. yes.gif

I'd rather listen to the drumming of Awake of SFAM than ADTOE (though I do love their new album).

In short, Portnoy > Mangini but Mangini is a monster drummer and without a Portnoy replacement we'd have no more DT for a long while. Or whenever Mike decided to come back from hiatus or whatever.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 21 2012, 12:56 PM)
Portnoy . Mangini is great but it is just not the same . I have said it a 100 times, the best drummer did Not get the gig with D.T.
BTW. There is nothing on the last D.T. album that Portnoy can't do. Mangini just took 90% of parts Portnoy has done in the past and rehashed it . It was D.T.'s time to prove they did not need Mike and they blew it

I never would have picked Mangini, I was surprised seeing a lot of people talking about him as the obvious choice etc, I don't get it really, he's good, but not that good...

Maybe they like his personality, and he'll do as he's told and he's good enough to be fair replacement as well.

Maybe they fell in love with all his speed world records. confused13.gif

Like he, Jordan, and Petrucci could all do 128th notes for 20 minutes or something during a break.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 21 2012, 09:30 PM)
Sure, Mangini "looks" the part, but the guy is a walking smile. Which is something DT could use right now, instead of cookie monster egomaniac.

rofl3.gif

DAY AFTER DAY!!

AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT!!

WE LOOKED AT JAMES' PANTS!!

THEY WERE LEATHER, BLACK, AND TOO TIGHT!!

OVER AND OVER!!

SCENE BY SCENE!!

LIKE A RECURRING NIGHTMARE!!

HE SHOULD HAVE WORN JEANS!!!

HOW COULD THEY PREPARE?!

FOR WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT?!

I SPIT SHIT AT MY BANDMATES!!

AND MY BEARD'S A BLUE BIRD'S NEST!!

IT'S A BLESSING THAT I LIVE!!

I'M THE BEST THERE IS I KNOW!!

BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE!!

EVERYBODY GO:

HUOOOAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Portnoy-A7X.jpg

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 22 2012, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 21 2012, 12:56 PM)
Portnoy . Mangini is great but it is just not the same . I have said it a 100 times, the best drummer did Not get the gig with D.T.
BTW. There is nothing on the last D.T. album that Portnoy can't do. Mangini just took 90% of parts Portnoy has done in the past and rehashed it . It was D.T.'s time to prove they did not need Mike and they blew it

I never would have picked Mangini, I was surprised seeing a lot of people talking about him as the obvious choice etc, I don't get it really, he's good, but not that good...

Maybe they like his personality, and he'll do as he's told and he's good enough to be fair replacement as well.

Maybe they fell in love with all his speed world records. confused13.gif

Like he, Jordan, and Petrucci could all do 128th notes for 20 minutes or something during a break.

So he's one of the fastest? That makes no difference to whether a drummer is any good or not. Or any musician for that matter. Speed beyond a certain point provides nothing but entertainment value. Maybe that's why they picked him because he's more of an entertainer than the others.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 21 2012, 02:08 PM)
Going to take a few more years to determine this.

Yeah me too....I'm guessing about the rest of my life.

I understand the quality of musicianship in DT, and that lots of people here really dig 'em, (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/roja22/DigEm.jpg) I even saw them when they toured with Queensryche a few years ago, but holy sh1t are they hard to listen to. Maybe my brain just doesn't run fast enough to comprehend what they hell is going into my ears.

I am happy for Mangini. I genuinely enjoy this guy being in the band, and it seems like a lot of the drama and bad musical decisions have ceased with MP's departure. Mainly the horrendous background vocals and obsession with being a nu-metal band.

MP was my biggest drumming influence for many years in the early 2000's, but somewhere along the way he just got too caught up with "being fawkin' metal" and that's when his presence in DT started negatively affecting the band. I feel like this happened sometime around 2002.

Overall, at this point in time, I say Mangini.

Although MM can do stuff portnoy admitted he could never emulate, portnoy was their drummer since 1985, so of course i voted for him. I am interested to see what mm's second dt album sounds like. It could either cement him in or out of the band. So far, he doesn't fit quite right and dt f*cked up and got projekct crimson to open on this current tour. Believe it or not, their energy and bombast made dt look tame when i saw them last night in detroit. I left about 5 songs into dt's set. Their new lighting rig was so bright it gave me and my gf both a headache. I suppose that didn't help either.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 21 2012, 11:23 PM)
I suggest you listen to some Porcupine Tree from the last 10 years. Harrison's playing in Anesthetize alone destroys anything any other drummer has done in the last decade, and that includes Peart.

Ehhh....

I like Mangini, I do. His modesty within his playing on Dramatic Turn of Events was a refreshing change compared to Portnoy's last few albums with the band.

But...let's be real. Portnoy was the voice and spirit of that band. However, over the last few years, partly due to Avenged Sevenfold, he allowed his ego to get the better of him. Honestly, I feel like Petrucci at least partly replaced Portnoy to put him back in his place-- which is precisely what he should have and needed to do. Now, a few years from now, they'll explain to Mangini that it's just not working out (ala Derek Sherinian, who's still on good terms with the band) and Portnoy will be back with a fresh outlook and DT will be stronger as a result.

Again, I am not hating on Mangini-- I just look forward to the day Portnoy is invited back and focused more on playing to their music, as opposed to self-worshiping parts like he once was.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:17 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 21 2012, 11:39 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 21 2012, 11:04 PM)
Right now is difficult to compare Portnoy with any other drummer. He's easily second only to our beloved Neil Peart.

Is that a joke? Portnoy is great, but 2nd best in the world right now? No chance in hell. Gavin Harrison alone wipes the floor with him.

Who?

Gavin is outstanding.

and as for the poll....PORTNOY!!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 23 2012, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:17 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 21 2012, 11:39 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 21 2012, 11:04 PM)
Right now is difficult to compare Portnoy with any other drummer. He's easily second only to our beloved Neil Peart.

Is that a joke? Portnoy is great, but 2nd best in the world right now? No chance in hell. Gavin Harrison alone wipes the floor with him.

Who?

Gavin is outstanding.

and as for the poll....PORTNOY!!!!! 1022.gif

When Robert Fripp jams with you, you're not too shabby a drummer (Gavin doesn't suck!)