Timeline goof?

Lost In Xanadu

That is because Neil Sucks, don't you know?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 20 2012, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 20 2012, 07:14 PM)
Thanks for wrecking CA for me, LIX!  angry.gif

ohmy.gif

How can I listen to it now?

Talk about shattering the illusion of integrity!

I thought this thread was going to be about BU2B2 being placed after Headlong Flight. To me that's a real timeline goof - he returns from Wreckers and has this nostalgic looking back song saying he'd do it all again.... then he's all depressed again, grieving... seems to me like BU2B2 would have made more sense right after the Wreckers...

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 20 2012, 09:26 PM)
I thought this thread was going to be about BU2B2 being placed after Headlong Flight. To me that's a real timeline goof - he returns from Wreckers and has this nostalgic looking back song saying he'd do it all again.... then he's all depressed again, grieving... seems to me like BU2B2 would have made more sense right after the Wreckers...

I noticed this today...I agree.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 20 2012, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 20 2012, 09:26 PM)
I thought this thread was going to be about BU2B2 being placed after Headlong Flight.  To me that's a real timeline goof - he returns from Wreckers and has this nostalgic looking back song saying he'd do it all again....  then he's all depressed again, grieving...  seems to me like BU2B2 would have made more sense right after the Wreckers...

I noticed this today...I agree.

Yes, me too

I don't think BU2B is a timeline goof.

It's not nearly as dark as people seem to think. It's about letting go and choosing life instead of relying on misplaced faith. It leads perfectly in to WTW.

Essentially the narrative is some thing like

"This has been a wild ride, and as crazy and painful as it was, I'd do it all over again. I realize now that the faith I clung to in the beginning was misplaced and harmful to me, but I choose life and will not be enslaved to that faith any longer. To all those who manipulated and hurt me along the road- best of luck to you- you have no foothold in my life any more and I'm moving on."

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 20 2012, 09:10 PM)

It's not nearly as dark as people seem to think. It's about letting go and choosing life instead of relying on misplaced faith. It leads perfectly in to WTW.

"This has been a wild ride, and as crazy and painful as it was, I'd do it all over again. I realize now that the faith I clung to in the beginning was misplaced and harmful to me, but I choose life and will not be enslaved to that faith any longer. To all those who manipulated and hurt me along the road- best of luck to you- you have no foothold in my life any more and I'm moving on."

Good point too

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 20 2012, 08:26 PM)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the album sequence will match the book.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 20 2012, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 20 2012, 09:10 PM)

Good point too

Thought of that as well and, yeah...works for me too.

There are no goofs on Rush albums. Only things we don't fully understand. I realized long ago that there is a purpose and reason to everything Neil writes, and if we don't get something it's not due to a mistake on their end.. it's that we're not getting it on our end. There's never anything haphazard about Rush. When the novel comes out, all will be understood. smile.gif

Certainly the novel will clarify, and I'm not claiming that it was just a mistake on Neil's part as I know that he analyzes every breath he takes - but IMO the order of these songs is one of my few criticisms of this excellent album.

Coming out of The Wreckers (obviously a tragedy) we get into Headlong flight:

"Some days were dark

I wish that I could live it all again

Some nights were bright

I wish that I could live it all again"

Owen had good times, bad times, no regrets and would do it all again.

Then followed by BU2B2:

"Belief has failed me now

Life goes from bad to worse

No philosophy consoles me

In a clockwork universe"

IMO states a much stronger negative view of his world-view after just stating he wishes to live it all again. IMO it would have more continuity to have BU2B2 (and it's crushing realizations) follow The Wreckers and then begin to resolve by acknowledging bright days, dark nights, and not regretting having lived it.

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 20 2012, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 20 2012, 07:03 PM)
In Caravan, he's a "young man"... in Carnies, he's a "young boy"

Hmmmm?

and 30 years ago he was a "digital man"... wtf Neil

And before that an Analog kid?

Whats his obsession with younger boys?

OMG Neil is a Pediphile!

ohmy.gif

JK folks don't ask for my head.

scared.gif bolt.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 21 2012, 01:57 PM)
Certainly the novel will clarify, and I'm not claiming that it was just a mistake on Neil's part as I know that he analyzes every breath he takes - but IMO the order of these songs is one of my few criticisms of this excellent album.

"Some days were dark
Some nights were bright

Then followed by BU2B2:

In a clockwork universe"

IMO states a much stronger negative view of his world-view after just stating he wishes to live it all again. IMO it would have more continuity to have BU2B2 (and it's crushing realizations) follow The Wreckers and then begin to resolve by acknowledging bright days, dark nights, and not regretting having lived it.

But on BU2B2 he says despite all of the garbage and pain be chooses to live. I think that's the point. This really resonates with me because of a personal situation where all I was experiencing was pain, but the moment I finally choose to live- that was a good, if painful, moment.

The looking back at a life filled with joy and pain and seeing that misplaced faith did not bring you through, yet seeing that you have a choice to make and you choose life- that's what this is about, IMO.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 21 2012, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 21 2012, 11:47 AM)
There are no  goofs on Rush albums.

Those who have copies of the CA album with 0:00 track times printed on the back, and lyrics books with portions of the prose introductions missing might disagree. cool.gif

That's a misprint, not a goof. Harephlemphlem..

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 21 2012, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 21 2012, 01:57 PM)

"Some days were dark
Some nights were bright

Then followed by BU2B2:

In a clockwork universe"

IMO states a much stronger negative view of his world-view after just stating he wishes to live it all again.  IMO it would have more continuity to have BU2B2 (and it's crushing realizations) follow The Wreckers and then begin to resolve by acknowledging bright days, dark nights, and not regretting having lived it.

But on BU2B2 he says despite all of the garbage and pain be chooses to live. I think that's the point. This really resonates with me because of a personal situation where all I was experiencing was pain, but the moment I finally choose to live- that was a good, if painful, moment.

The looking back at a life filled with joy and pain and seeing that misplaced faith did not bring you through, yet seeing that you have a choice to make and you choose life- that's what this is about, IMO.

I don't disagree with the point - despite the pain he chooses to live - it's the order that doesn't sit well with me; as the previous song (HF) he wishes he could live it all again!

The timeline is like:

go through hell (Wreckers)

despite highs and lows, wish you could live it all again (Headlong)

total depression, make the decision to live (BU2B2)

emerge with better outlook (Wish them well, Garden)

to me, it seems more logical to hit BU2B2 first after wreckers, then emerge from that decision wishing to "live it all again" and then a better outlook. To me, Headlong is a fairly positive song, then, BU2B2 is the rock bottom turning point. Why come back down after Headlong? That's what seems out of line to me.

Certainly the novel will fill in the details and probably make sense of this for me, but it is interesting to ponder at this point.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 20 2012, 10:10 PM)

Mm, good point. The last 4 tracks are all in a way giving us aspects of the same moment of reflection.

I also contend (as I have on another thread discussing BU2B2) that the arrangement of the last 4 tracks is subservient to the need for the album to have a satisfying arc in terms of song mood. If you think about it:

Mid-tempo poppy Wreckers

Epic rockfest Headlong Flight

Haunting, atmospheric BU2B2

Straight-up rocker Wish Them Well

Beautiful, power ballad Garden

That ordering makes much more sense from the perspective of an overall album experience than if you flipped Headlong Flight and BU2B2. IMO.