Headlong Flight

losingit2k

Well after 30 sum listens I think I'm over the initial Honeymoon stage of this ride. I still feel that Headlong Flight is one of the highlight and one of the brightest moments in the whole album! The song really rocks.

Clockwork Angels Really rocks!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 14 2012, 01:28 PM)
I burnt out on it. It's sad but true. It must have been those 35 listens before the album dropped that did it

Ditto. I honestly wish they chose a different song....lol. I can't even imagine what it would be like listening to this song for the first time while just flowing through the album without knowing what it will sound like.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 14 2012, 01:27 PM)
I'd probably like it a lot more if I hadn't been listening to it for about a month and a half now. laugh.gif

I stopped listening to it for about two weeks prior to release. I just noticed I'm always pumped half way throught that song. Same effect as Analog kid. Well basically same tempo as well!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 01:33 PM)
Wish I never heard it prior to the album release. Suspect I'd be flipping out about how great it is if I hadnt already played it 100 times. Still rocks and cant wait to see it live.

Oh yeah, its going to be awesome Live. I wonder if they'd extended like the originally intended? That would be a surprsise!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Definitely a strong song on the album, and one that was well capable of being pulled out of the broader story and standing on its own.

Wonder why they felt the need to release a third single in advance of the album, after we've had Caravan and BU2B for so long.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 14 2012, 01:41 PM)
Definitely a strong song on the album, and one that was well capable of being pulled out of the broader story and standing on its own.

Wonder why they felt the need to release a third single in advance of the album, after we've had Caravan and BU2B for so long.

It was probably a an apology gift to the fans for making us wait so long. lol

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 14 2012, 01:41 PM)

Well they probably liked it alot too, and they knew we would like it! Its a good representation of the album I think!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 14 2012, 01:50 PM)
I tried to restrict my listens prior to the album's release, but it wasn't enough. I can listen to Caravan and BU2B, but I always want to skip HF. It's a shame, because it's an incredible song, and it should be even better live 1022.gif

Don't worry about it. you'll get back to as I did. You're still in the honeymoon stage, soaking all the other nice treats on this album. Eventually, you'll allow the whole thing to play through and then you'll notice you're just headbanging to HF!

1022.gif 1022.gif

All these comments only confirm something I've been thinking about. As happy as people are about this album and as much praise as it's (justifiably) gotten I think it's actually much better than most of us can really appreciate so far. The reason being that most of the excitement recently has basically been over only 75% of the album. Caravan, BU2B, and to a lesser degree Headlong Flight are all being taken for granted to an extent and left out for now, by me too. I think this album is a lot heavier than we realize too because those 3 songs people are glossing over for now are some of the heaviest on the record. Yeah, I know Caravan and BU2B are not exactly the same as they were but they've still basically been old news for a long while.

If we had heard nothing from the album and then say a few weeks ago The Wreckers had been released as the single people would be going apeshit over how heavy the record is and for a lot of people 1 or more of those 3 songs would likely be the standout. I think after months or even years go by and we start to think of all the songs as one homogenous album people will be even more impressed with how good it is.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 02:14 PM)
All these comments only confirm something I've been thinking about. As happy as people are about this album and as much praise as it's (justifiably) gotten I think it's actually much better than most of us can really appreciate so far. The reason being that most of the excitement recently has basically been over only 75% of the album. Caravan, BU2B, and to a lesser degree Headlong Flight are all being taken for granted to an extent and left out for now, by me too. I think this album is a lot heavier than we realize too because those 3 songs people are glossing over for now are some of the heaviest on the record. Yeah, I know Caravan and BU2B are not exactly the same as they were but they've still basically been old news for a long while.

If we had heard nothing from the album and then say a few weeks ago The Wreckers had been released as the single people would be going apeshit over how heavy the record is and for a lot of people 1 or more of those 3 songs would likely be the standout. I think after months or even years go by and we start to think of all the songs as one homogenous album people will be even more impressed with how good it is.

Good point. Different perspectives given what was already released. I"ve gotten to the point now where the 3 released are psychologically now in tune with the rest of the new songs and since then, man, what a ride!!!!

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 14 2012, 02:19 PM)

Good point. Different perspectives given what was already released. I"ve gotten to the point now where the 3 released are psychologically now in tune with the rest of the new songs and since then, man, what a ride!!!!

I can't wait to hear this thing Live. Much more than I did for S & A.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 01:26 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Unfortunately 90% of the crowd will still just want to fast forward to the 10 songs they know from the radio like always. It's been that way with every album. However, I do think it's a huge advantage to have the album out for months before the tour begins, especially one with this much music. Most tours by all bands start right at or shortly after the release of the album and fans just haven't had any time to absorb the new songs and get to the point where they're anticipating them live. Some tours I've been to even started before the album released. Hopefully the newer songs this time around will get a better reception than usual simply because people will know them better but make no mistake, most people going to the shows are going because they want the same old songs over and over. That's just the nature of the casual fans that make up the bulk of any audience for an older band. They just want Tom Sawyer. Over and over.

Over at the Van Halen forum people are just as excited about VH's new album and before the tour there were the same excited predictions of "Just wait until the crowd hears this song live!" And before long everyone accepted that no matter how great they thought the album was the new songs were still only getting polite applause and the same old songs from the radio like Jump and Panama got all the excitement like always. The bulk of the audience is nothing but a bunch trained seals responding to what they're conditioned to. It's pure Pavlov. I'm sorry if that's condescending (and it shouldn't be to anyone here) but it's true.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 01:26 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Unfortunately 90% of the crowd will still just want to fast forward to the 10 songs they know from the radio like always. It's been that way with every album. However, I do think it's a huge advantage to have the album out for months before the tour begins, especially one with this much music. Most tours by all bands start right at or shortly after the release of the album and fans just haven't had any time to absorb the new songs and get to the point where they're anticipating them live. Some tours I've been to even started before the album released. Hopefully the newer songs this time around will get a better reception than usual simply because people will know them better but make no mistake, most people going to the shows are going because they want the same old songs over and over. That's just the nature of the casual fans that make up the bulk of any audience for an older band. They just want Tom Sawyer. Over and over.

Over at the Van Halen forum people are just as excited about VH's new album and before the tour there were the same excited predictions of "Just wait until the crowd hears this song live!" And before long everyone accepted that no matter how great they thought the album was the new songs were still only getting polite applause and the same old songs from the radio like Jump and Panama got all the excitement like always. The bulk of the audience is nothing but a bunch trained seals responding to what they're conditioned to. It's pure Pavlov. I'm sorry if that's condescending (and it shouldn't be to anyone here) but it's true.

Nah dude, you're absolutely right. I actually like hearing these 6 staples "TS, TSOR,YYZ, LL, FW, 2112" I think everything else can be substituted by something else. I'm just gald that they play for 2 and a half hours now. That leaves room for all the staples, the new songs and much more.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Headlong Flight didn't click with me right away, and it still isn't one of my favorite songs on CA, but I'm digging it a bit more now that I'm listening to it within the context of the album. And I can't wait to see them perform it. It seems like the kind of song that's going to really, really rock live.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 14 2012, 03:09 PM)
I like the song a LOT more in the context of the album. After Wreckers, it sounds awesome. I like how some songs make other songs sound better.........a sign of a true coherent and flowing record!

goodpost.gif Couldn't said it better my self.

I loved listening to this song, and just me drool1.gif as what to expect the rest of the album would be.

Wreckers, 7CoG, HE, Carnies, etc.. all add up to the explosive Headlong Flight. I feel like this is the Climax of the album, kind of like a play. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the album (BU2B2, Wish Em Well, and The garden) are fantastic. But its more like the aftermath or resolution or something.

Anyway to me Headlong Flight is the best on this amazing album, and I just get so pumped it for it every time I hear that opening bass line!

I give Headlong Flight a 10 out of 10 Major Ass Kickings!

moon.gif 653.gif moon.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 14 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 14 2012, 01:28 PM)
I burnt out on it. It's sad but true. It must have been those 35 listens before the album dropped that did it

Ditto. I honestly wish they chose a different song....lol. I can't even imagine what it would be like listening to this song for the first time while just flowing through the album without knowing what it will sound like.

I stayed strong and didn't listen to 'Headlong Flight' until I got my shiny new cd and played it from start to finish! HF stood out to me - it's a great song! And love the little 'Bastille Day' bass bit in the beginning. Ah, I love enjoying the entire album as a whole. Glad I waited!

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 01:22 PM)
Well after 30 sum listens I think I'm over the initial Honeymoon stage of this ride. I still feel that Headlong Flight is one of the highlight and one of the brightest moments in the whole album! The song really rocks.
Clockwork Angels Really rocks!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

It is indeed still a highlight. Awesome cut.