Mr. Hugh Syme: Bravo!

The Owl

Why we are all still in the thralls of the new music I have seen little mention of the art direction this album had, and while the main album cover is just "alright" I do have to say that throughout the booklet that the art direction and work put forward by Hugh Syme is in my opinion his best work on a Rush album to date.... I loved the art on this album, absolutly fantastic. The artwork complemented the album and story very well....

P.S I want to find a high resolution photo of the image of the pedler walking through the forest.... I want that as my desktop background

I like that it's different from his other work. These look, I don't know (not an art guy), more like watercolor is places. Not that sharply refined and detailed look that we're used to with Syme, although some pieces (the flying ship over the earth) are just that.

Honestly, and I might be alone with this...but I think CA was actually a bit of a letdown from an artistic point-of-view.

I guess I expected more with the whole 'steampunk' theme.

To me, Snakes & Arrows was miles better in terms of the art. Hugh was a beast with S&A...with all those amazing images for each individual song.

To me, S&A was better...but CA has some fantastic images still. I just wanted more! yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 13 2012, 09:36 AM)
Honestly, and I might be alone with this...but I think CA was actually a bit of a letdown from an artistic point-of-view.

To me, Snakes & Arrows was miles better in terms of the art. Hugh was a beast with S&A...with all those amazing images for each individual song.

To me, S&A was better...but CA has some fantastic images still. I just wanted more! yes.gif

Agreed. Steampunk is my favorite artistic style of eras. When I heard they were basing this album off of a steampunk world, I almost lost it. And it is kind of a let down with a scarce amount of it in the pictures.

Don't get me wrong, they're glorious pictures. But hyped up the steampunk theme.

I like the red in it, but overall it doesnt do anything for me. The alchemy thing has been done by so many bands before so the cover itself seems a little lazy to me.

The images inside are interesting, but some look like Photoshop work to me. They just have that digitally produced look to them that Im not used to with Hugh. He usually created custom paintings or does photography shoots, and some of these look pieced together in Photoshop. Not his best work by a mile.

I thought the inside work of S&A was much more impressive and looked like more time went into it, although of course the cover was among their worst.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 13 2012, 10:40 AM)

To me, S&A was better...but CA has some fantastic images still. I just wanted more!  yes.gif

I like the red in it, but overall it doesnt do anything for me. The alchemy thing has been done by so many bands before so the cover itself seems a little lazy to me.

The images inside are interesting, but some look like Photoshop work to me. They just have that digitally produced look to them that Im not used to with Hugh. He usually created custom paintings or does photography shoots, and some of these look pieced together in Photoshop. Not his best work by a mile.

I thought the inside work of S&A was much more impressive and looked like more time went into it, although of course the cover was among their worst.

laugh.gif

Yes, though to be fair...I believe the S&A was NOT done by Hugh Syme. They got it from somewhere else.

But yeah...not a good cover.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 13 2012, 10:40 AM)

Gotta agree with you there. The image of the inside of the clock tower, in particular, is a mess. Some of it's good though...I really like the airship images.

I really wish there was some painting for the 'Crown City'. The image the boys paint of Crown City in 'Clockwork Angels' is truly inspiring. I guess the image for that is left up to the listener.

schla03.gif <-Note doesn't mean I'm bored, just means I'm dreaming of Crown City

maybe this would work? -> cool10.gif wink.gif

Edited by BigBob

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 13 2012, 08:58 AM)
yes.gif

I absolutely love the image with the Ferris Wheel in the back ground with the 2 hands in the foreground.

That's from Carnies. It's the Anarchist tossing a detonator towards the protagonist, who catches it by instinct. Before he threw it the main character shouted to warn the crowd and by the time they turned to see what was happening they instead thought the main character was going to blow them all up.

So he had to split!

I really like the story for this album a lot.

I do appreciate the incorporation of the bee in some of the pictures though. smile.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 13 2012, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 13 2012, 08:58 AM)
yes.gif

I absolutely love the image with the Ferris Wheel in the back ground with the 2 hands in the foreground.

That's from Carnies. It's the Anarchist tossing a detonator towards the protagonist, who catches it by instinct. Before he threw it the main character shouted to warn the crowd and by the time they turned to see what was happening they instead thought the main character was going to blow them all up.

So he had to split!

I really like the story for this album a lot.

yes.gif

The picture makes it look more like a handoff smile.gif I like the image though... the mist and the distance it presents.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 13 2012, 06:40 AM)

First time I saw the art I knew a lot had been Photoshopped. The Pedlar in particular kinda bugs me cause the cart isn't grounded, There's no shadow and it looks as if it's floating. Lots of little things like that. But it's easy to criticize and hard to create so... I'm working on my own City Square image. We'll see. trink39.gif

They're certainly more detailed and refined images in S&A. Nothing nearly as detailed and clean as the hands holding the snake, for instance. But the image of the traveler through the woods is atmospheric, for what it lacks in vibrancy.

I agree. The album cover is nothing earthshattering, but the booklet with the lyrics is nothing short of phenomenal. It just reinforces why I still like to buy CDs instead of just down loading everything from iTunes.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 13 2012, 03:01 PM)
It just reinforces why I still like to buy CDs instead of just down loading everything from iTunes.

yes.gif trink39.gif goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

May Rush always make CDs!

Absolutely.

I love the CD...it's fantastic.

The artwork, the booklet...it all means something to me still.

BTW...the vinyl is so cool too. The back cover of the vinyl is superb.

Would anyone know where a high res image of the pedler in the woods image would be, I'd really like that as a desktop background, but I cannot find a good one...

2112.net has some good sized ones, but still not quite high resolution enough.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 12:22 PM)
laugh.gif

I've been so busy listening that I haven't even bothered to look at the liner notes yet!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

This

I'm taking my sweet time to take everything in...music, fan pack, art. 653.gif