Bernie Grundman

Terrapin

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 13 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 13 2012, 01:38 PM)
I've heard some of the VT fan remixes and they sound pretty good. Maybe, one of the arm-chair producers around here can make CA sound that good.

I have a VT remix, and yeah it's good.

And yeah, maybe "one of the arm-chair producers around here" will take me up on my earlier offer.

I'd like to hear what it's supposed to sound like. Whatever that is. smile.gif

well unless the armchair producers have the individual tracks, there isnt much they can do except tweak the final product EQ wise.

Thanks for making my point.

We don't have access to what the tracks originally sounded like. All we have is a pressing of a preselected mix.

Ah, I'm getting tired of repeating myself...... eh.gif

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 11:42 AM)
I've heard some of the VT fan remixes and they sound pretty good. Maybe, one of the arm-chair producers around here can make CA sound that good.

And yeah, maybe "one of the arm-chair producers around here" will take me up on my earlier offer.

well unless the armchair producers have the individual tracks, there isnt much they can do except tweak the final product EQ wise.

We don't have access to what the tracks originally sounded like. All we have is a pressing of a preselected mix.

try not to get too defensive bro. I worship this band. I love the new album. I'm just a little disappointed in the overall production. Hopefully I will get past some of the things that are bugging me. It's not a huge deal. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 13 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 11:42 AM)

try not to get too defensive bro. I worship this band. I love the new album. I'm just a little disappointed in the overall production. Hopefully I will get past some of the things that are bugging me. It's not a huge deal. trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 01:52 PM)
vinyl rip samples here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2261581141/rus...nyl-samples.zip

Made by me. I think they sound a decent amount better than the cd, but not amazing.

I believe these are 24-96.

You must have Marbles in your ears Mike!

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 01:52 PM)
vinyl rip samples here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2261581141/rus...nyl-samples.zip

Made by me.  I think they sound a decent amount better than the cd, but not amazing.

I believe these are 24-96.

You must have Marbles in your ears Mike!

eyesre4.gif

You really think the cds/mp3s sound better than the vinyl? How so? And what are you listening on?

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 12 2012, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 13 2012, 12:13 AM)
Agreed.  I just do not understand how such a sonic abortion could have been allowed to happen again.  Did the band learn nothing from VT?  I just dont think they care, which is sad.  Let Steven Wilson master it and it'll sound fantastic!

Very well put.

One would think that the mistakes of VP should have been a lessoned learned. Perhaps, the boys are thinking more in terms of golf, wine, prose, baseball these days?

Fact is, the album sounds dreadful,. Furthermore, I don't think Nick R is the right man for the job. He may get the boys all excited and "conduct" Neil with his comedy drumstick, say funny things like "Boughze" but it isn't helping the overall sound!

The mastering process is a fine art and arguably, the most important aspect as regards to the overall album release.

IMHO the boys have seriously taken their eyes off the ball with this one...

i thought nick r didn't have anything to do with the mastering? he was the producer, wasn't he? confused13.gif

I love the new record.

That said, yes, it is compressed.

Thankfully it's not as much as Vapor Trails, and not as much as other current releases (Van Halen for example, which is the definition of SQUASHED! I love that record too, in spite of this).

I too am looking forward to getting the vinyl version.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 13 2012, 07:02 PM)
I love the new record.

Thankfully it's not as much as Vapor Trails, and not as much as other current releases (Van Halen for example, which is the definition of SQUASHED! I love that record too, in spite of this).

Wow Mystic Slipperman is back, there really must be a new album out! And here's me thinking it was all just a dream!! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 11:40 AM)
I honestly ask anyone to A/B CA to Signals for instance, and tell me CA sounds great. It will sound bloated and loud - whereas Signals will sound much more crisp and clear (a clear separation and representation of the instruments and vocals).

So it sounds like you may be talking about the Loudness War, in general?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Or are you saying that CA specifically is egregiously bad, even compared to recent mixing and mastering practices?

EDIT: BTW, Signals itself is a bit muddy. tongue.gif IMO, Power Windows is the best example of a "crisp and clear" Rush album. But this is even TOO crisp for some. tongue.gif For me, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves are Rush's best overall mixes.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Ok, so for the first time I sat down with a pair of killer headphones, cranked up the volume, and tore into Clockwork Angels. I will say that the sound and overall quality isn't so hot.

If Vapor Trails is a 1, and Moving Pictures is a 10, I'd rank it a 4. Reminds me of a cross between Hold Your Fire and Signals.

I don't get it. The original versions of BU2B and Caravan were far superior to this. Why would they go back the other direction to a sound that's muddy?

It is what it is and Whatever, to quote Neil from The Garden, but it is a bit baffling.

The only flaw in a remarkable album.

After about 7 listens to the whole album I can say that CA is not even near as bad a mastering as VT was. My only issue with the mastering of the new album is the lack of dynamic range. Go back and listen to the original US "Atomic" release of Moving Pictures if you want to hear a great mastering. Yes, overall it is kind of "quiet", but for goodness sake, thats what a volume knob is for! The only reason this album was mastered as loud as it was, was to compete with all the other loud albums being released out there, and thats just a pathetic reason to do such a thing. I hope that they do put out a 5.1 24/96 version of the album and let Steven Wilson have a go at the mixing and mastering. I have yet to hear a Porcupine Tree release (especially their DVD-A versions) that didnt sound fantastic. All that I (and many others on here) am asking for is an album with FULL DYNAMIC RANGE. That shouldnt be too difficult to do and it isnt nitpicking either. Every album used to be released like that before these damn loudness wars started. Some musicians out there (Elton John and Sting are two that come to mind in addition to Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree) are brave enough to put out audiophile quality releases and dont give a crap about making them loud just for loudness sake. I hope Rush will do the same. Come on guys. You've just made one of the best albums of your career. It deserves the highest quality sound that technology in 2012 can deliver.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 13 2012, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 13 2012, 07:02 PM)
I love the new record.

Thankfully it's not as much as Vapor Trails, and not as much as other current releases (Van Halen for example, which is the definition of SQUASHED!  I love that record too, in spite of this).

Wow Mystic Slipperman is back, there really must be a new album out! And here's me thinking it was all just a dream!! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

How goes it Duck? smile.gif

QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Jun 13 2012, 11:26 PM)
So when is the remaster of CA coming out?

Hopefully soon. I can't believe that they've allowed this atrocity to go uncorrected for so long.

IDK....

Listening to it on my system it is as clear as a bell. I have a fairly good setup and good speakers as I'm sure some of you do as well so it might come down to system setups, room acoustics etc.

It is a wall of sound, but through my system it is clear, has good dynamics and has a lot of range and I'm sure the LP that is on it's way will sound even better.

I do know that if i start messing around with some eq settings the sound does go over the cliff mostly on the low end though.

Also listening to their music over the years, one thing i noticed for sure is that with their music it does depend on the quality of the system it's going through. Many times when i was younger, i remember going over to a friends house and playing rush on their high dollar systems and thinking....wait a minute this sounds totally different or i never heard that subtle note,sound or dynamic at home. Only to go back home and have to listen really hard to pick it up on mine.

VT though is a whole different story.

Edited by Ghostnotes

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 14 2012, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Jun 13 2012, 11:26 PM)
So when is the remaster of CA coming out?

Hopefully soon. I can't believe that they've allowed this atrocity to go uncorrected for so long.

Nice sarcasm. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jun 14 2012, 02:07 AM)

This be true. It isn't as bad as VT.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 14 2012, 05:48 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jun 14 2012, 02:07 AM)

This be true. It isn't as bad as VT.

You know why? 'Cause its not bad at all! The is album is simply awesome!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif