Your favorite MOMENTS from Clockwork Angels

Presto-digitation

The instrumental break in the middle of the title track blows me away, especially when Alex busts into the solo ala Cut to the Chase.

The new intro to BU2B makes the song that much better.

I'm still not a fan of the repetitive chorus to Wish Them Well, but the rest of the song for me ranks with some of their best work. I especially love the Color of Right/Carve Away the Stone feel in the "thank your stars" part. Oh and the guitar solo jam in the middle is the super bad ass.

On BU2B2 it doesn't sound like Geddy is straining his voice like in the rest of the album. In fact it seems like he is taking a whole different approach to his singing in this than he has sang for the past decade or so. He is not trying to extend every note to the end of the measure like he like always seems to do these days.

The Garden (nuff said).

2.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

the head bobbing inducement, from bass drums + guitar riff on the anarchist 1022.gif. Lyrics of wish them well + garden.

anarchist from the solo section into 5:36 and on... that little section.

someone mentioned it here...the backwards morphed vocals on clockwork angels @ around 5:50 reminds me of that vocal effect on natural science.

Cool.

My two cents:

Caravan: The Entire Break and the fact I can clearly hear Alex's guitar now on the Chorus.

BU2B: Neil rhythm on the China Boy

Clockwork Angels: The Intro, The Break and the last little jam at end after Geddy sings "As if to Fly" for the last time.

The Anarchist: Geddy's Bass line, Alex's Middle Eastern Influenced lead. and the choruses "A Missing part of me that grows around me like a cage!"

Carnies: The Intro, The Entire feel of the song, Alex's Lead, Neil's Ride Pattern, Geddy vocals Specially "A Wheel of fate, a game of chance!"

Halo Effect: The intro, The entire Song, Alex Lead! Should be a single.

Seven Cities of Gold: The intro (Bottleneck as it opens up into the City)

The Break, the ending with Alex's feedbacks

The Wreckers: Everytthing!

Healong Flight: The Intro, The extended break, The entire song jams!

BU2B2: Its moodiness, Its over emotion and feel

Wish Them Well: Neil's Fill before the verse, Alex Lead,

The Garden: Geddy's Vocals, Alex sound on the Chorus, The piano on the break, Alex's Lead again. The repeating final: "Its A measure of a life!"

I wub.gif Clockwork Angels!

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 13 2012, 07:03 AM)
The clicking of the sticks in clockwork angeles. He doesn't need to click the sticks 4 times to bring in the band. Kind of works though. It will work well live.

This.

trink39.gif

Certainly unnecessary, but a cool little flash that propels the band into the "Double Agent"-ish sections of the song.

I am loving in The Anarchist when Geddy is singing

"Oh They will never forget me"!

And then they go into the BBB like riff then into that awesome middle eastern jam and Alex's solo.

This song is consuming me right now.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 13 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 13 2012, 12:10 AM)
When Alex's riff kicks in again just before the start of the second verse in The Anarchist.

1022.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif

Oh yes.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Jun 13 2012, 05:08 AM)
Loads, but the moment at the start of 'The Wreckers', when it goes quiet after the intro, just the guitar, and then Ged starts singing:

The breakers roar on an unseen shore
In the teeth of a hurricane
We struggle in vain

Something about that just got a real emotional reaction out of me on the 4th or 5th listen, and each listen since. It's a real goosebumps moment, for me wub.gif

Yeah a very sublime moment in the song. I love the verse music.

What is amazing about Rush....and it never ceases to amaze me is we get this rock a billy intro and then they take us into this dreamy universe and I am instantly catapulted to the bridge of this ship battling through this enormous storm and seeing the "ghostly" light on the jetti shore.

Just amazing stuff.

The opening bass riff on Seven Cities.

Ged's initial vocals on Carnies "Under the gaze of the angels.

A spectacle like he's never seen!" Tons of emotion in that opening and I just love how he uses his voice as another instrument here.

Lot's of other stuff throughout but those are standouts for now.

Caravan: Geddy's bass solos

BU2B: bassline during the chorus

Clockwork Angels: "High above the city square" parts, especially as it comes out of the blues section with the line "everything will turn out for the best"

The Anarchist: "The lenses inside of me that paint the world black" and the rest of the chorus

Carnies: "The glint of iron wheels..."

Halo Effect: beginning of second verse when drums come in

Seven Cities of Gold: If I had to pick just one, the bass intro

The Wreckers: the verses

Headlong Flight: "It didn't always feel that way", Alex's solo and part right before it

Wish Them Well: "thank your stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away"

The Garden: the breakdown, "Forever dwells in that moment, hope is what remains to be seen"

"clockwork angels" - all of it, the verses and the solo especially

"anarchist"- the permanent waves style riff before the verses and the bit where ged sings "oh they tried to get me, oh they'll never forget me"

"carnies" - the bit where geddy is singing over alex's reverb heavy solo

all of "the wreckers"

"the garden" - piano breakdown leading into the solo

ps. this may sound lame but the opening of the garden really reminds me of a song from the game "super mario galaxy" smile.gif

In no particular order, yet numbered to create the illusion that they are:

1) I can't get enough of the Wish Them Well pre-chorus. I love that whole song, I think its simplicity is actually its genius (especially considering its placement on the album), but that section is the standout moment that has been in my head all week. Love that jangly let's-skip-two-beats riff, and "Thank your stars you're not that way; turn around and walk away!" ranks up there with Subdivisions for all-time "OMG NEIL YOU SPEAK MY SOUL" factor. biggrin.gif

2) When I heard "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage," I knew immediately that one was gonna stick with people.

3) BU2B2. I know to some this might be "Where's the skip button?", but the change in meaning of the titular lyric just kills me every time. Maybe it's the musical theatre dork in me, but you gotta love a good reprise.

4) It's been around awhile, but I still can't stop singing "Can't stop thinking big." That empty-space bass slide just before the chorus lands is A-plus, too.

5) GARDEN SOLO NUFF SAID 1022.gif

6) The way Geddy sings the verses of Garden. Especially "Time is sti-ill the infinite je-e-est." Chills.

7) Last chorus of Headlong Flight, so necessary to do a double-chorus, and so necessary for Geddy to say "Screw you, time and age and the physical human body, I am going balls-out on this final note."

8) Tremolo-effect sound that launches the title track. Total sonic "game on" moment.

9) "Human chain... leaves a bloody stain"... man, do we love that song or what?

In fairness, I have to include my biggest "cringe moment" as well:

10) The "bad intent" lyric of Carnies. It's just one of those moments where music and words are not really complementing each other. That line doesn't belong where it is, somehow. Ah, well, overall the album lyrics are super effective, and Carnies still kicks ass.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 03:25 PM)
Let's focus in on a few specific cool moments, be it a riff or a vocal delivery, drum roll or bass line. Without listing 25 things and overdoing it, list a couple of your standout moments so far on the album.

Mine:

The tail end of the title track. "As if to....fly" and then the barrage of drums and guitars...a quick stop(!)....and subsequently into that haunting Geddy refrain.

Lastly we hear the echo of "What do you lack?"

Christ, I got chills typing that out. biggrin.gif The atmosphere on this song abounds.

This ^^^^^^^^^^. May be one of my favorite moments of any album they have ever done. Including 2112's opening. The fact that it was done by almost 60 year old rockers makes it even more awesome don't you think?