Nick R. Bad Pro Tools editor?

Jar2112

I hate Pro Tools

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 11 2012, 06:06 AM)
I know what he's talking about with We Hold On, but I think it was an error with the first pressing of S&A because the MVI wasn't like that. I don't hear any mistakes in CA though. confused13.gif

You're right, there's no question that was originally an error not only because it's blatantly obvious anyway but because they fixed it for the MVI (and possibly later versions of the regular CD but I don't know that). I haven't heard anything like that on CA, though. Of course there are edits but that's no different than any other album.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 11 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 06:34 AM)
The Rush defense team is out in full force already. Give the guy a chance to explain exactly what he means. Jesus, Rush has the worst fans ever.

I know right? OP says there's a bunch of mistakes on CA, then provides one example from another album. Ridiculous. wacko.gif

goodpost.gif

OP:

I know what you're talking about.

Its unfortunate that most Rush fans are untalented, dont have very good ears, and just in general arent technically inclined. Because a lot of them fail to see mistakes and poor recording errors etc. Blessing in disguise? Maybe, but there's no use trying to convince most of these people because they just don't get it.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 11 2012, 08:25 PM)
OP:

Its unfortunate that most Rush fans are untalented, dont have very good ears, and just in general arent technically inclined. Because a lot of them fail to see mistakes and poor recording errors etc. Blessing in disguise? Maybe, but there's no use trying to convince most of these people because they just don't get it.

Not quite as unfortunate as your massive f***ing ego.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 11 2012, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 11 2012, 08:25 PM)
OP:

Not quite as unfortunate as your massive f***ing ego.

I'm with Danny-boy on this on! I have a great ear and I have some talent as well, not as much as the boys but I have some talent. I just don't find the need to dissect the songs as much as some of you pompous @sses just to makes myself feel better. If you guys are so damn talented and have such great ears why the Flac are you guys wasting time on this board? Shouldn't you be mixing an album or recording at a studio or anything?

No and why is that?

Has the industry not discovered you hidden talents yet? Is your hearing so intune that even professionals Like Nick can't seem to compare?

You need to get a life? Stop filling the site with such trivial crap. "Cause you're right "We don't understand"....We don't understand how can someone with a slightly increased intelligence could be such idiots!

rage.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 11 2012, 09:25 PM)
OP:

I've been playing Rush on drums probably before you were even born. The record sounds like it does because that's the way Nick wanted it to sound. He was going for a raw, live sound a la All The World's A Stage(said so in interview). You don't have to agree with the production style but don't act like you are the only one that knows anything around here.

QUOTE (Jar2112 @ Jun 11 2012, 08:55 PM)
Oh boy.. I'm sorry for creating such a stir. My apologies, fellas.

It's all good.... but as I said before, I'd love to see some specific examples. I have some experience with audio editing and would be interested in checking it out.

I agree about We Hold On. That was just inexcusable.

I wouldn't like to hear more examples though, because I really like CA and I don't need to have something pointed out that I won't be able to "unhear".

Man, it seems like you guys need hearing aids. That fill in We Hold On is an obvious drum edit! It made me a little upset when I heard it. It goes this way with a lot of modern drum editing. I just feel upset to know Neil was a part of it. When I go in the studio, I go against this and do it in one take. Neil did this on CA. Unless I haven't heard the obvious edit yet. The scary thing is, that with modern editing, you won't hear it.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 11 2012, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (Jar2112 @ Jun 10 2012, 11:56 PM)
I love Clockwork Angels. Just love it. The one thing that kind of irks me is the obvious edits that can be heard in most of the songs. To my ears, they are not subtle at all.  This was pretty obvious in S&A as well. The one glaring mistake being the beginning of the second verse in "We hold on". Just laughably bad. Anyone else bugged by this?

Oh Fark me, I am so sick and tired of people talking out of their ass.

These are professional musicians, producers, and engineers. RUSH had already made 10 albums before most people on this board we're born or old enough to buy a record.

The only "edits" you hear are in your head.

Do you think for one second an amateurish mistake like you describe would go unnoticed by a band who has made 20 studio albums.

It's a moronic notion, IMO.

LOL have you heard real musicians before? That fill is not human.

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 11 2012, 10:48 PM)
At approximately what time is this "glitch fill" on We Hold On? I never paid that much attention to that song myself

I usually stop listening to the song before it gets to that point. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 12 2012, 12:54 AM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 12 2012, 01:48 AM)
At approximately what time is this "glitch fill" on We Hold On? I never paid that much attention to that song myself

about 1:20 into We Hold On

Thanks, I think I now hear what you guys are talking about

I don't know if I would jump to conclusions, but it certainly is possible that it is a copy/paste error. The natural reverb of the drum sort of cuts off right before the start of the next bar