Neil Peart - The Watchmaker?

Cygnus Xanadu-1

Listening to the album a sudden thought struck me. Did Neil base the character of the Watchmaker on himself? Let's think about it, both the character and Neil are both described as being "rigid" and "immovable". They create the devices need to keep time in there worlds and both are at the very core of there creations. A drummer such as Peart has to keep time and create devices (musically speaking) that fulfil this task. So does a watchmaker, except in this case, I am speaking in terms of horology. There instruments are always precise, always accurate.

They also appear to have similarities in there philosophical views, since both rigidly keep to there ideologies whilst still finding ways of contemplating and understanding the ideas of others. There rigidity and time-keeping however is what gives it away for us.

This maybe just an insane rant but the similarities are uncanny, so it remains an open possibility...

Pretty sure NP based the hero's journey on his own journey.

Thought that was pretty obvious.

The watchmaker--only gets mentioned in two songs. Have to wait for the book to find out more.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 10 2012, 07:44 AM)

Exactly.

He's the protagonist in the concept, not in the fictionalized specifics, but in the philosophical arc of the story - it's got his philosophy all over it. He is NOT the watchmaker. no.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 10 2012, 07:50 PM)
Where is Neil described as rigid and immovable? In one of the songs? In the liner notes? Where is this coming from?

A lack of education allied with rank stupidity.

The OP has never heard of Richard Dawkins, let alone The Blind Watchmaker.

USA education - sponsored by nanotechnology.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 07:54 PM)

Exactly.

He's the protagonist in the concept, not in the fictionalized specifics, but in the philosophical arc of the story - it's got his philosophy all over it. He is NOT the watchmaker. no.gif

Exactly. Neil is the hero of the story, definitely not The Watchmaker.

The Watchmaker is clealy a nod to the "Watchmaker analogy" which originally was an argument for the existence of God. (It states that an intelligent design like the universe must have been designed by someone, like a watch). But Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins came up with theories where a design is not necessary. (Evolution).

So, Neil is bashing faith again. tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 10 2012, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 10 2012, 11:56 AM)
Rushgoober is the Watchmaker!

old.gif

http://www.exchristian.net/uploaded_images/complication-749596.png

ohmy.gif ph34r.gif

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/gooberwatchmaker.jpg

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 10 2012, 02:28 PM)

Exactly.

The Watchmaker is clealy a nod to the "Watchmaker analogy" which originally was an argument for the existence of God. (It states that an intelligent design like the universe must have been designed by someone, like a watch). But Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins came up with theories where a design is not necessary. (Evolution).

This. It's a thinly (and I mean razor thin) veiled reference to Dawkins' Watchmaker. Just as with Rand, Peart basically parrots his philosophical heros. I cannot believe he doesn't see this in his writing, it's pretty blatant. It's a good thing his drumming on CA is monstrous badassery so I can overlook it.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 10 2012, 01:10 PM)

Exactly.

This. It's a thinly (and I mean razor thin) veiled reference to Dawkins' Watchmaker. Just as with Rand, Peart basically parrots his philosophical heros. I cannot believe he doesn't see this in his writing, it's pretty blatant. It's a good thing his drumming on CA is monstrous badassery so I can overlook it.

major bonus points for "monstrous badassery!" yes.gif laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 10 2012, 09:10 PM)

Exactly.

Overlook what? You don't like the nod to the watchmaker analogy? I think it's clever. He doesn't parrot his philosophical heros, it's just a clever little nod to a term used in philosophy.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 10 2012, 03:17 PM)

Exactly.

Overlook what? You don't like the nod to the watchmaker analogy? I think it's clever. He doesn't parrot his philosophical heros, it's just a clever little nod to a term used in philosophy.

Yeah, maybe "overlook" wasn't what I was shooting for..at this point I expect Peart's philosophy (or at least the philosophy of who he's presently reading) to be obvious in his lyrics. The overall arc & theme for the CA character is basically a rehashing of his recent lyrics dressed up in steampunk. Tiresome for me usually but in this case his drumming performance is so spectacular that he could be writing horror gore metal lyrics and I pretty much wouldn't care.

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Jun 10 2012, 09:20 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy

I love the work Neil has done with his lyrics on this record. Far from a clever little nod...a brilliant use as a matter of fact.

I think the lyrics on CA are brilliant too. I just meant the use of the name Watchmaker is a clever little nod to the Watchmaker argument, which it is.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 10 2012, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Jun 10 2012, 09:20 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy

I love the work Neil has done with his lyrics on this record.  Far from a clever little nod...a brilliant use as a matter of fact.

I think the lyrics on CA are brilliant too. I just meant the use of the name Watchmaker is a clever little nod to the Watchmaker argument, which it is.

I will say that I love the lyrics for CA, Carnies and The Anarchist. Wonderful melding of words and tunes.

Whoa..... interesting theory.... dunno how'd it work but lol.

I'm still amazed that people haven't made the connection between The Watchmaker and Prime Mover....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_mover

A hypothetical person that has a significant impact on society and history due to the exercise of their free will, unfettered by external psychological influences or social forces; also the name of the theory that affirms the existence and possibility of such people.

Regarding socio-political complexity, the term Prime Mover describes any influence upon a social group that leads to a higher degree of societal complexity.

Definition: Prime Mover - a self-caused agent that is the cause of all things; "God is the first cause."

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 10 2012, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 10 2012, 03:17 PM)

Exactly.

Yeah, maybe "overlook" wasn't what I was shooting for..at this point I expect Peart's philosophy (or at least the philosophy of who he's presently reading) to be obvious in his lyrics. The overall arc & theme for the CA character is basically a rehashing of his recent lyrics dressed up in steampunk. Tiresome for me usually but in this case his drumming performance is so spectacular that he could be writing horror gore metal lyrics and I pretty much wouldn't care.

Thanks for the insights all..............yeah I guess it will be more clear once the book comes out..........but then, maybe not........

"aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrh, I'm the Watchmaker...........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrh, I will kill you %$#^%$^! beathorse.gif

The problem is I think for some is he doesn't really have any of his own ideas. He just takes what he's read and twists it around, sometimes tries to mask it, sometimes not (Xanadu being the best example).

He can never be looked at as a great philosopher like some of the people he looks up to because they formulated their own original ideas and concepts, and that's not what he does.

That isnt a knock against him. It's clear he isnt even trying to be looked at in that way otherwise he would be coming up with his own ideas for things.

All of it is rooted in his disbelief in god and disdain for organized religion. It's very similar to S&A except that this is written in a story manner and uses a fantastical setting to dress it up. It's not so different than 2112, hence why the cover points to that because the concepts are related.