The Anarchist

iluvgeddy05

As I stated in the other Anarchist thread that I started before seeing this one...I'm having trouble getting into this one. I can certainly appreciate many of its various parts and elements (the drum intro, the guitar riff just before the 1 minute mark, the eastern-tinged solo, etc.), but they've yet to congeal as a whole for me.

Hopefully they will, but this one just hasn't been as "immediate" as many of the others.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 13 2012, 01:53 PM)
As I stated in the other Anarchist thread that I started before seeing this one...I'm having trouble getting into this one. I can certainly appreciate many of its various parts and elements (the drum intro, the guitar riff just before the 1 minute mark, the eastern-tinged solo, etc.), but they've yet to congeal as a whole for me.

Hopefully they will, but this one just hasn't been as "immediate" as many of the others.

You may have to listen to it seperate from the album a few times. But Geddy's bass and the main riff just get stuck in you head along with the chorus:

"The lenses inside of me that paint the world black

The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage

The things I've always been denied

An early promise that somehow died

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage"

Geddy brings a nice hook to it vocally and I find it getting stuck in my head more and more. This song is just total band effort from begining to end. All three shine equally as bright on it applaudit.gif 2.gif

It took me a few listens, and then another listen or 2 just to absorb this one...now it's getting stuck in my head and really becoming one of my favorites off the album. Like someone mentioned, it may take a listen(s) separate from the rest of the album. The intro was instant greatness for me though...so freakin' cool. 2.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 12 2012, 07:50 PM)
After several listens now, I find this song to be.. perfect, I mean, it's an amazing achievement. The riffs are perhaps the most pleasing since TSOR. I can't believe this song isn't the next single. CA and this song make a whopping one-two punch of brilliance. I don't think I'm overreacting.

trink38.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I agree. After further listens I can't overstate how much I like this song. The bass, the drums, Alex's solo, good verses, good chorus, lyrics, vocals. There isn't an aspect of this song where they didn't completely nail it. How is it possible to clock in at almost 7 minutes and still sound fairly tight? I'm guessing that's why we won't hear it as a single. Well, that and it might cause many current bands to just give up music altogether upon hearing it.

This song and The Garden (possibly their best ballad ever) alone would have been enough for me to call the album a success. The fact that the other songs are pretty good too is just a bonus.

QUOTE (mjohnson30 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 12 2012, 07:50 PM)
After several listens now, I find this song to be.. perfect, I mean, it's an amazing achievement. The riffs are perhaps the most pleasing since TSOR. I can't believe this song isn't the next single. CA and this song make a whopping one-two punch of brilliance. I don't think I'm overreacting.

trink38.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I agree. After further listens I can't overstate how much I like this song. The bass, the drums, Alex's solo, good verses, good chorus, lyrics, vocals. There isn't an aspect of this song where they didn't completely nail it. How is it possible to clock in at almost 7 minutes and still sound fairly tight? I'm guessing that's why we won't hear it as a single. Well, that and it might cause many current bands to just give up music altogether upon hearing it.

This song and The Garden (possibly their best ballad ever) alone would have been enough for me to call the album a success. The fact that the other songs are pretty good too is just a bonus.

goodpost.gif MTE!

Has anyone noticed the hint to TSOR on alex's guitar part during the verses or during the " Sometimes the Angels punish us by answering our prayers" part.

listen closely its there on 'Carnies".

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 11:17 AM)
Has anyone noticed the hint to TSOR on alex's guitar part during the verses or during the " Sometimes the Angels punish us by answering our prayers" part.

listen closely its there!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Well that's on "Carnies" so no, I hadn't noticed! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 15 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 11:17 AM)

listen closely its there!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Well that's on "Carnies" so no, I hadn't noticed! tongue.gif

I was going to say...wrong thread.

It's in just about everyone's "top five" list of CA tracks, so that's saying something.

And it's in mine, too. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 15 2012, 10:42 AM)
This song is definitely the one that is most in my head when I'm not actually listening to the album.

That keyboard behind when Geddy is shredding the bass (e.g. 2:52 to 3:05) is flat AWESOME.

This song is just FLAT awesome!! biggrin.gif

Love this song! I think it is my favorite, but a tough call to make. I have to say though that I'm hearing what sounds like an edit in the vocal at about 5:58, right at the word "been". maybe a splice between vocal takes? Just curious if anyone else is hearing this or if it's my MP3 copy (via Amazon).

The only thing......and I mean the ONLY THING I don't like about this songs is the fact that it ENDS!!!

It could roll on for 14 minutes (instead of almost 7) and I would NEVER get tired of it. JUST BLEEPING BRILLIANT!!!

the end

QUOTE (nfcsaints @ Jun 15 2012, 04:55 PM)
The only thing......and I mean the ONLY THING I don't like about this songs is the fact that it ENDS!!!

It could roll on for 14 minutes (instead of almost 7) and I would NEVER get tired of it. JUST BLEEPING BRILLIANT!!!

the end

So you're a SAINTS fan? trink39.gif

Bad news about Romeus blowing out his knee... sad.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 11:51 AM)
Has anyone heard "The Pedlar" repeat ("What do you Lack?") again at :35 during the intro. I only heard it through headphones.

yes.gif

I was wondering about that. Now that you mention it, I believe it is the Anarchist repeating the question rhetorically "What do I lack?", since the song is in his words (and since this is what the liner notes say).

WALKING AMONG THE PEOPLE - who are so content, so blind - the Anarchist hears the pedlar's call, and sneers derisively. "What do I lack? Ah ... vengeance?"

These lyrics brilliantly summarize so many angry people:

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black

The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage

The things I've always been denied

An early promise that somehow died

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage

The playing is fantastic by all 3. This is an all-time top 10 Rush song to me.