Do you hear old songs?

Raichu4u

Okay, it's more than obvious that Clockwork Angels has some ties to some older Rush songs, providing some familiar tunes for us.

---------------------------------------

First, we'll pull up La Villa Strangiato

Now listen at the 0:25 mark on Strangiato, and head on after to Carnies after you've heard about a good 10 seconds.

Now, listen to Carnies, at 1:20

Familiar, right?

To mention also, some people have argued that the beginning rift sounds like Working Man, I can sort of hear it, but it's unclear and debatable

This isn't really a "similar" song, but The Garden, at 3:09

The two tracks of Geddy singing is something Rush did a lot back in Test For Echo.

Also, another not really similar song, but The Anarchist can really have the "style" of what Vapor Trails had.

The most obvious part, is the connection between Bastille Day and Headlong Fight.

First, we have 0:19

Then, we have 0:42

This happens many times throughout the song, and is pretty obvious.

The last translation, we have Clockwork Angels, itself.

At 1:28, the ending of 2112 can sort of be heard.

If you thing some songs show some nostalgia, post some proof, and contribute to the thread! Disagree? Post your proof also, and contribute to the thread!

The beginning of "The Wreckers" from 0:15-till Ged starts singing is identical to "Armor and Sword."

QUOTE (Raichu4u @ Jun 9 2012, 08:44 AM)
Okay, it's more than obvious that Clockwork Angels has some ties to some older Rush songs, providing some familiar tunes for us.

First, we'll pull up La Villa Strangiato
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6eW4

Now listen at the 0:25 mark on Strangiato, and head on after to Carnies after you've heard about a good 10 seconds.

Now, listen to Carnies, at 1:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dik-ynq9gcE&feature=relmfu

Familiar, right?

To mention also, some people have argued that the beginning rift sounds like Working Man, I can sort of hear it, but it's unclear and debatable

This isn't really a "similar" song, but The Garden, at 3:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxlRQiYbRfg&feature=relmfu

The two tracks of Geddy singing is something Rush did a lot back in Test For Echo.

Also, another not really similar song, but The Anarchist can really have the "style" of what Vapor Trails had.

The most obvious part, is the connection between Bastille Day and Headlong Fight.

First, we have 0:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW72Gmqjse4

Then, we have 0:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

This happens many times throughout the song, and is pretty obvious.

The last translation, we have Clockwork Angels, itself.

At 1:28, the ending of 2112 can sort of be heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSouwct5m4&feature=plcp

If you thing some songs show some nostalgia, post some proof, and contribute to the thread! Disagree? Post your proof also, and contribute to the thread!

The notes in Carnies have been driving me nuts, because I couldn't figure out what other Rush song I was hearing within it.

*The pre-choruses of Seven Cities are from Good News First.

*Halo Effect recycles some of Half The World.

*Wish Them Well has a part recycled from Carve Away The Stone. *The main unison guitar/bass riff in The Anarchist is very similar to Beneath, Between and Behind.

*The build-up coming-out of the middle section of Headlong Flight going into the last verse is straight out of The Main Monkey Business.

Wow. I only checked on the first example. La Villa & Carnies.

Not even close to a resemblance. But whatever. I'm not gonna go into further argument to shatter someones appeal in hearing an old song in a new song. I'm a guitar player (probably obvious) and I'm sorry to tell you but there is nothing similar about that.

Having said that, with all the examples: It's gonna be apparent that sometimes certain songs or sounds are the same as previous works. We're looking at 40 years worth of music material here. Things are going to get repeated at times, unintentionally in most cases, but that's just the way it is. The boys have a certain style, and even though you try and stray, certain things are unavoidable, and you're going to play a song, the way you naturally would play it.

As a musician, I've become better at learning Rush's material the more I play it, because Alex has a style, and once you're in his headspace or frame of mind musically, you can pretty much see where he's going a lot of the time. Same goes with my dad who plays Bass. He's pretty much fully adapted Geddy's style because all he plays is Rush.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 12:29 PM)
The beginning of "The Wreckers" from 0:15-till Ged starts singing is identical to "Armor and Sword."

YES! I was trying to figure this one out for the life of me everytime I listen to Wreckers. Mystery solved finally.

This is probably the only one I find true so far.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 9 2012, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 12:29 PM)

YES! I was trying to figure this one out for the life of me everytime I listen to Wreckers. Mystery solved finally.

This is probably the only one I find true so far.

Right on! 1022.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 9 2012, 03:53 PM)
Parts of Anarchist sound like as If they picked up from the cutting room flow of GUP.

And I friggin love it. wub.gif 1022.gif

I also get a Beneath Between and Behind vibe from it.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 11:29 AM)

That same part of The Wreckers reminds me so much of The Color of Right from 2:47-3:10

When I first heard that part of The Wreckers I kept expecting to hear "take it easy on me now.."

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 9 2012, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 11:29 AM)

That same part of The Wreckers reminds me so much of The Color of Right from 2:47-3:10

When I first heard that part of The Wreckers I kept expecting to hear "take it easy on me now.."

That too!!!

Caravan - La Villa chromatic ascending/descending

Headlong Flight - The Bastille Day riff

The Anarchist - Beneath/Between, particularly the Exit Stage Left version. Similar guitar effect (slight flange/phase?).... maybe reminds me a little of Red Barchetta in places.

The Wreckers - Sounds like Armor & Sword in many places, but better.

The Garden - reminds me a lot of "The Sphere" from Cygnus Book II.

"Seven Cities of Gold"'s intro is also reminiscent of "Virtuality."

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 9 2012, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 9 2012, 03:53 PM)
Parts of Anarchist sound like as If they picked up from the cutting room flow of GUP.

And I friggin love it.  wub.gif  1022.gif

I also get a Beneath Between and Behind vibe from it.

Agreed. goodpost.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I hear lots of "isms", generally speaking and, in some cases, specifically. Often it's just some cue that harkens back for me. The verse in the title track where the vocals begin is mid-80s Rush, specific song or not...it just evokes it. That second bass line and chous-laden guitar in The Anarchist is early 80s Rush, MP/Signals era.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 13 2012, 09:57 AM)
"Seven Cities of Gold"'s intro is also reminiscent of "Virtuality."

Seven Cities of Gold is a hodgepodge of T4E songs throughout...especially from 4:50-5:10. I hear Dog Years and Virtuality especially.