Clockwork Angels cover artwork -disappointing!

treeduck

Do you like the CA cover artwork?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the CA cover artwork?

• 1 I love it - it's better than I could have imagined!
    • 2 It's f***ing abysmal, a putrid red mess, a swiring cloud of crimson meh!
    • 3 I think it's pretty good, simple and powerful, just what was required
    • 4 It's pretty piss poor, slap dash and unimaginative, like VT and S&A
    • 5 Well, it's not that good, but I don't care, it's the music that counts
    • 6 The music counts alright, but why not have an incredible stunning cover?
    • 7 It's just barely passable almost decent, I'd prefer something else, ah well
    • 8 Yes it is another Hold Your Fire, like Hugh was stuck and used his old idea
    • 9 I like red and that's the only reason I like it
    • 10 I don't care about the artwork
    • 11 I hated it at first but it's grown on me, it's not great artwork, but it works
    • 12 Blarrrrgggh!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 10 2012, 07:38 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 10 2012, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 10 2012, 07:29 AM)
For the most part they are as bad at choosing album covers as they are making music videos.

laugh.gif

Knowing their sense of humor i'm positive they made as bad of a video as they could just for a laugh. If they really wanted to they could've made a video that matched the greatness of the song. They just wanted to mess with everybody.

I hope you're right, because that video is so bad I laugh every single time at how stupid and cheesy it is

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 10 2012, 07:49 AM)
You know, in the era of cds and even smaller digital downloads, the art of the album cover is gone. If you had to look at the PoW or PeW cover for the first time on your ipod screen, a lot would be lost. I do wish that it were different, but that's the way it is...

Interesting theory!

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 10 2012, 08:22 AM)
It's kind of annoying. Reminds me of a tye-dyed softball shirt I had to wear in the third grade.

rofl3.gif

Love it!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 10 2012, 08:38 AM)
For the most part they are as bad at choosing album covers as they are making music videos.

laugh.gif

Knowing their sense of humor i'm positive they made as bad of a video as they could just for a laugh. If they really wanted to they could've made a video that matched the greatness of the song. They just wanted to mess with everybody.

I'm gonna call BS on that one. I think they were proud of their "twirly object" technology and wanted to show it off. No trolling here. The late 80s. . . *cringe*

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 10 2012, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 10 2012, 07:38 AM)

laugh.gif

I hope you're right, because that video is so bad I laugh every single time at how stupid and cheesy it is

It's really a shame because it's my favorite Rush song 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 9 2012, 04:43 PM)
In terms with comparing it to the actually story. I feel the artwork actually fits almost perfectly. Clockwork Angels is kind of a darker story for Rush. And the dark red in the background with the swirling effect represents the chaos and lack of order in the music and the story. The clock represents, of course, the "Clockwork" Angels. Whilst the different symbols are elements. Plus, the actual time on the clock is just fun. 9:12...Which is Neil's birthday and 21:12 in military time. I give massive props to the artwork.

Well spoken!!!!

When I first saw the image of the new album cover, I thought that it was just a quick mock cover, that it was going to be replaced with the actual cover closer to the album release date. Not that I think it's terrible, but I thought that it wasn't it - it seemed rather, well, boring. I dunno, I think I'm more attracted to album covers that are colourful, interesting. One example of a great cover, IMO, is Al Stewart's Year of the Cat - lots of things to look at there.

I understand the cover is indicative of the music, and having not received my fan-pack cd yet, I can't really correlate the two. Yet. But objectively speaking, the cover doesn't do much for me. The symbols are cool, and the '21:12' time is a neat nod, but at the same time, it's kind of weird to have a nod to a previous album. This picture (and 2112 reference) might have worked better in the booklet, with something else as the cover.

Maybe it will grow on me, especially once I finally hear the music (!!!), but my thought is it's a bit subpar.

I don't have the album yet, but I don't mind the cover as it is. I don't like "busy" album covers. However, simplicity can be boring sometimes as well. I think Counterparts is among their worst, while Hold Your Fire is among their best.

Not a fan of the cover

It's 6.

Seems they don't go for eye-catching covers anymore. The last great cover concept was T4E. From then on, it was like, who cares about covers, our fans will buy them nonetheless, let's give 'em something more in the booklet.

Could be better.

I bought the CD and still have not looked at the booklet. I guess I'm not 16 anymore. sad.gif Edited by Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 26 2012, 09:11 AM)
I bought the CD and still have not looked at the booklet. I guess I'm not 16 anymore. sad.gif

In my opinion, is the best Rush booklet ever, better than S&A that was my favourite before...

It's Hold Your Fire in a blender with a dash of VT.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:32 PM)
According to the poll a lot of RUSH fans will accept anything and call it good when it comes to artwork...

tongue.gif

OHHH SNAP

common001.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:36 PM)
According to the poll a lot of RUSH fans will accept anything and call it good when it comes to artwork...

tongue.gif

OHHH SNAP

common001.gif

Surely you don't like it?

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:38 PM)

tongue.gif

OHHH SNAP

common001.gif

ph34r.gif

No, I'm quite underwhelmed by it actually confused13.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:40 PM)

tongue.gif

OHHH SNAP

common001.gif

ph34r.gif

Oh right, I was thinking you'd be the type who'd take anything...

tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:40 PM)

tongue.gif

OHHH SNAP

common001.gif

ph34r.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif

I miss covers like Permanent Waves, ones that I could stare at for hours.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:42 PM)

tongue.gif laugh.gif

Easy there. . .

pokey.gif