What DOESN'T work about CA?

rushgoober

Let me start by saying that I'm really loving the album so far, so please don't take this as merely an exercise in negativity just to be negative.

I'm truly pleasantly surprised. I was sincerely hoping to find one or two songs that I love, felt like it was serious wishful thinking to hope for 3, but it looks like, even though it's really early on in the game, that I've gotten a lot more than that! Hell, even Headlong Flight keeps growing on me by leaps and bounds! biggrin.gif

That said, what doesn't work about the album? What's lacking? What would you have liked more or less of?

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The main thing for me, and it's very likely because I'm listening so far to a 192K compressed file and/or a youtube video, is I'd like a bit more sonic clarity. I'm really hoping the CD brings out more clarity and instrument separation. Often there's a LOT going on in the songs, a lot of layers, a lot of dense sound, etc., to the point where I wish Geddy's vocals were sometimes more discernible without having to look at the lyrics. I don't think it needs to be at the level of say Counterparts simplicity and clarity, but I would have preferred a LITTLE less density of sound in the production sometimes.

2. I would have liked even more Alex solos, but that said, there are a few really great ones, so I really can't complain.

3. Geddy's voice has held up surprisingly well. I am giving him leeway for his age, so his voice has definitely changed. I don't love it as much as I once did, but it's a seriously minor quibble.

Edited by rushgoober

4. BU2B and BU2B2 - still can't stand the lyrics, but there's nothing else on the album (without being able to see the lyrics yet) that's nowhere near the level of bummer as the lyrics on these songs, so again, a minor annoyance/quibble.

Man, I haven't listened to the album yet, but if you're saying you love it this much, and only have those minor issues with it, then I am REALLY looking forward to it!

You and Trenken are kind of like the Simon Cowells of this forum, and I mean that in a good way. You guys keep it real, don't pull any punches, and are brutally honest. And the fact that both of you have given CA rave reviews means I'm almost certainly in for a real treat.

yes.gif

I agree with everything that you said.

The "clarity" issue is especially true with the title track. I feel like there is a so much to love, but I'm having difficulty getting past the muddiness, especially during the "blues" section. Hopefully when the CD shows up it should be rectified.

I also wish that the plot was a tad clearer. I know that it's supposed to be abstract, but it feels like some songs are directly story related, while others are totally metaphorical. It seems inconsistent.

I suppose this was inevitable LOL

eyesre4.gif

I personally find very very little at fault. But then again, I haven't actually listened to BU2B2 --> The Garden yet....

Hence my line of thinking LOL.

Carnies vocally was not my fav hehe biggrin.gif

but I'm loving CA soooooo much so far biggrin.gif common001.gif

Edited by Xanaseb

Still think Neil's drums need brought up in the mix a little bit. Listen to the old records. The snare pop is in your face and the hi hat is crisp. Neil's ride cymbal especially gets a little lost on some of the tracks. I would have loved more keys on the record but the strings work quite nicely so that is a minor quibble.

Really not a whole lot to complain about. I do think a couple of the harder songs could use choruses that are just a little more accessible but these are all minor complaints. Great record even better than I was expecting.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 04:16 PM)
Let me start by saying that I'm really loving the album so far, so please don't take this as merely an exercise in negativity just to be negative. 

I'm truly pleasantly surprised.  I was sincerely hoping to find one or two songs that I love, felt like it was serious wishful thinking to hope for 3, but it looks like, even though it's really early on in the game, that I've gotten a lot more than that! Hell, even Headlong Flight keeps growing on me by leaps and bounds! biggrin.gif

That said, what doesn't work about the album?  What's lacking?  What would you have liked more or less of?

The leak has only been out a couple of days and you're already going negative?

I knew the positivity was too good to last. eyesre4.gif

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wpum1h.jpg

Nothing. There is nothing not great about the album, nothing I wish they would have done differently. That's not to say that it is perfect and couldn't be better, just that what we have doesn't need to be any better.

And I sure as hell wouldn't say that it's all brickwalled to hell and the mastering/mixing is crap, as some are saying. It's a pleasure to listen to, and if the 0.001% of audiophiles find fault with it, that's not anyone's problem but theirs, IMO.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 06:39 PM)
Don't know it well enough yet...

And I haven't even heard it yet! tongue.gif

Just seems like we could enjoy it for, I dunno, maybe a week before we start nitpicking and looking for faults. confused13.gif

I probably shouldn't complain, though, because the reaction has been remarkably positive, much better than I remember for S&A. trink39.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 5 2012, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 06:39 PM)
Don't know it well enough yet...

And I haven't even heard it yet! tongue.gif

Just seems like we could enjoy it for, I dunno, maybe a week before we start nitpicking and looking for faults. confused13.gif

I probably shouldn't complain, though, because the reaction has been remarkably positive, much better than I remember for S&A. trink39.gif

Seriously, I've been really enjoying it. My complaints are minor, and thank God for that! I was really expecting I wasn't going to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I have been.

Really the main thing for me is the lyrics arent doing much for me. This whole story concept is not interesting at all to me. It doesnt touch me in anyway, I find some of the lyrics awkward. But ive said in the past at this point the lyrics in Rush songs are the least important part to me now.

Just not a real big fan of his lyrics and unwillingness to come up with clever metaphors to disguise what he's trying to say, and instead is taking the easier path of writing in a very direct plain English manner which for me leave no room for listener interpretation. I used to be able to make Rush songs mean whatever I wanted it too, now these lyrics are so easy to understand and they're so descriptive about the story itself which isnt interesting to me so they just dont do anything for me.

QUOTE (samurai1993 @ Jun 5 2012, 07:58 PM)
Swap "Wish them well" with an instrumental (Or just get rid of the track) an this album tops at Moving Pictures/Hemispheres levels. Still the best since Power Windows IMHO

I have no problem with Wish Them Well. I find it similar to The Big Wheel from RTB and I've always liked that song. The solo section sounds straight off of Counterparts and I've always loved that record. wink.gif

The only songs that aren't working for me so far are BU2B2 and Wish Them Well. Once I figure out what the hell the story is about maybe they'll make sense. But that won't happen until next week when I get the album and have the lyrics in front of me and am able to read through them all while listening to it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 06:33 PM)
DO KNOW that (to me) it's not an immediate album. It takes some serious absorption. Lots going on in some songs....

For some songs, yes. But for Wreckers, Wish Them Well and The Garden, the hook is very immediate. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.