As we near CA's release....

Gedneil Alpeart

I would be really happy if this album was received well by almost everyone, but I know that's not going to happen and never will. There are way too many varied expectations, biases, tastes, and personalities out there among Rush fans.......as there should be. Rush is not out to please everyone, esp at this stage of their career. If they find creative and emotional satisfaction even now, hats off to them. They are not making music for me nor do they owe me anything.

The possibility of a more coherent, purposeful, and confident album with more adventurous playing than any of their recent stuff is bonus for me. They could have quit way back and perhaps some people think they should have. All I know is that I am truly enjoying waiting for a new album from a band I have respected and loved for decades and Im certainly not letting trollers, haters, or disappointed folks damper my excitement.

My only request to you fans is that when the album is heard in full by most of us, let people be free to express what they feel without judging them or taking their opinions as an affront to what you feel. Disagree and debate intellectually.......sure.......but there is absolutely no need for attacks, insults (both overt and covert), and flame wars. Whether raving about or trashing it or somewhere in between, why does what anyone has to say have to affect what you get or dont get from the music? And if the trolling happens, ignoring it is the best weapon. It's only music.....

So, am I expecting everyone to take what I said above seriously and that the discussions here will be civil and polite? Of course not! My head is not in the sand, you know! The trolling will increase, people will take opposite opinions way too personally, barbs will go back and forth, and the usual stuff will go on. Some will say the new stuff sucks, some will say it's their best album since so and so album, some will be accused of fan boy status, others haters, some true fans, others not real fans....many will be attacked, many will retaliate, and so forth.

"That's how it is and how it's going to be"

So, with that being said, hope the new music exceeds your current expectations and best wishes for an enjoyable new Rush album experience. If not, oh well. There's always next time. If not then,

there's always older material.

Somedsy, Rush will in the past tense only. Hope you're creating good memories today.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 12:52 PM)
I would be really happy if this album was received well by almost everyone, but I know that's not going to happen and never will. There are way too many varied expectations, biases, tastes, and personalities out there among Rush fans.......as there should be. Rush is not out to please everyone, esp at this stage of their career. If they find creative and emotional satisfaction even now, hats off to them. They are not making music for me nor do they owe me anything.

The possibility of a more coherent, purposeful, and confident album with more adventurous playing than any of their recent stuff is bonus for me. They could have quit way back and perhaps some people think they should have. All I know is that I am truly enjoying waiting for a new album from a band I have respected and loved for decades and Im certainly not letting trollers, haters, or disappointed folks damper my excitement.

My only request to you fans is that when the album is heard in full by most of us, let people be free to express what they feel without judging them or taking their opinions as an affront to what you feel. Disagree and debate intellectually.......sure.......but there is absolutely no need for attacks, insults (both overt and covert), and flame wars. Whether raving about or trashing it or somewhere in between, why does what anyone has to say have to affect what you get or dont get from the music? And if the trolling happens, ignoring it is the best weapon. It's only music.....

So, am I expecting everyone to take what I said above seriously and that the discussions here will be civil and polite? Of course not! My head is not in the sand, you know! The trolling will increase, people will take opposite opinions way too personally, barbs will go back and forth, and the usual stuff will go on. Some will say the new stuff sucks, some will say it's their best album since so and so album, some will be accused of fan boy status, others haters, some true fans, others not real fans....many will be attacked, many will retaliate, and so forth.

So, with that being said, hope the new music exceeds your current expectations and best wishes for an enjoyable new Rush album experience. If not, oh well. There's always next time. If not then,

Somedsy, Rush will in the past tense only. Hope you're creating good memories today.

goodpost.gif

In the end, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's what YOU as an individual thinks. Life's too short to let someone else's opinion of music affect you...

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 02:48 PM)
good luck? you make it sound like we all have lotto numbers and the drawing is almost upon us. unsure.gif

Depending on your view of modern day Rush that could be the case.

I hope everyone likes it, but mostly I hope I like it.

good luck? you make it sound like we all have lotto numbers and the drawing is almost upon us. unsure.gif

He makes it sound like we're all going to sleep on MacArthur Causeway for the next 365 nights... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 3 2012, 02:44 PM)
applaudit.gif Thanks! This is my first album release as a serious fan, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. I only wish I'd been paying this much attention the other 18-19 times!

It's my second new release as an invested fan. Very excited.

There's a truth to this too: Even if you only really dig, say, 2 songs from this new album, those are two new great Rush songs that didn't exist prior. I'm not trying to excuse a poor release or anything of the like, but even that kind of effort is ultimately worth it if you really love something. Ideally we'll dig it all, but even if we dislike most of it, really loving only some of it is worth it...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 02:59 PM)
There's a truth to this too: Even if you only really dig, say, 2 songs from this new album, those are two new great Rush songs that didn't exist prior. I'm not trying to excuse a poor release or anything of the like, but even that kind of effort is ultimately worth it if you really love something. Ideally we'll dig it all, but even if we dislike most of it, really loving only some of it is worth it...

You've still your KISS collection to go back to and your MAIDEN albums...

th1245.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 02:52 PM)
good luck?  you make it sound like we all have lotto numbers and the drawing is almost upon us.  unsure.gif

He makes it sound like we're all going to sleep on MacArthur Causeway for the next 365 nights... ph34r.gif

For some, who knows, it may feel similar..... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 02:59 PM)
There's a truth to this too:  Even if you only really dig, say, 2 songs from this new album, those are two new great Rush songs that didn't exist prior.  I'm not trying to excuse a poor release or anything of the like, but even that kind of effort is ultimately worth it if you really love something.  Ideally we'll dig it all, but even if we dislike most of it, really loving only some of it is worth it...

You've still your KISS collection to go back to and your MAIDEN albums...

th1245.gif

I like recent Rush and the first three songs, so there's a very good chance I won't be one of the disappointed. I may like it less than some of the recent albums, but doubtful that I'll strongly dislike it. I'll be shocked if I'm either seriously disappointed or even apathetic.

Clockwork Angels is akin to ripping the knickers off a beautiful women and finding a dick and balls. Some might get off on this but normal people will be repulsed.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 3 2012, 04:02 PM)
Clockwork Angels is akin to ripping the knickers off a beautiful women and finding a dick and balls. Some might get off on this but normal people will be repulsed.

And that analogy is from real life experience? My sympathies! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So Clockwork Angels is like a two for one deal then?

Sweet!

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 3 2012, 03:02 PM)

You're a weird guy, Tony. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 10:08 PM)

And that analogy is from real life experience? My sympathies! laugh.gif

Yes it is actually.

All part of life's rich pageant.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 3 2012, 03:02 PM)
Snakes and Arrows was akin to ripping the knickers off a beautiful women and finding a dick and balls. Some might get off on this but normal people will be repulsed.

Fixed

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 07:52 PM)

goodpost.gif

Thanks Gedneil!

BTW this is my first Rush album since becoming a fan! I'm enjoying the ride already!

I've awaited every release since 1984. When P/G pre-release singles were played on my local radio station (PYX106 in Albany, NY played DEW, RSA, BTW), I recorded them to Cassette tape and listened to them on my walkman during study hall. Twelve years later, I was a frequent poster on The National Midnight Star and felt the tremendous anticipation for "Test For Echo" for the first time online - only to hear some crappily ripped mono lo-fi version of Driven, which left me cold, but I ended up LOVING. (I actually like most of TFE.) VT - again the tremendous web build up, and samples of "Freeze" had me freaking out - and while I was joyed to hear them return, the disc never total sold to me...

So now here I am 28 years after that first one... waiting for a leak, planning on leaving work at 9:45 am on June 12 to head to Best Buy to pick up CA, brig it home and crank it on a proper system.

Something I don't see mentioned enough on these early reviews - both glowing and critical - it the ability for one to change their mind. To give the music an open ear and open mind, give it time to find an emotional response which resonates. Personally, I am continually surprised by discs that I initially wrote off, only to hear them years later and actually REALLY DIG. It happens. It also happens that I don't like it later either. But I learned to never let my initial impression taint that future possibility. As a longtime fan, I think I will always find Rush's work at least interesting. Personally, I liked SnA quite a bit. VT, not so much. But I found them both interesting and enjoy listening to both, even if I think one is not as good. When I first heard Porcupine Tree (Signify) it didn't do it for me. I put them away for several years. Then I heard "In Absentia" in the right mood and the stars aligned and it was f***ing magic. All sorts of doors opened and they're one of my favorite bands now.

So, keep your expectations in check, keep your mind open, and don't write it off upon first listen has become my mantra for new releases. Much of the pre-reivews on this site, based on very limited peaks into the new music, and based solely on a first impression are being treated like final definitive judgement on it. Well, if you put it on a pedestal or shit on it right off the bat, you have already closed your mind to the possibilities.