Steevo

Fave of The Big 4  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Fave of The Big 4

• Metallica
    • Megadeth
    • Slayer
    • Anthrax

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:11 PM)
The first three Metallica albums will always be EPIC.  Once Cliff died it was all over for that band.  Newsted is a poser. You can't even hear his bass lines on "And Justice For All" which was actually an excellent progressive metal record.

As far as longevity is concerned though I had to vote for MEGADETH!  Ironic that Dave was in Metallica and wrote most of "Kill 'Em All." 

I think Megadeth takes the cake at the end of the day.  Dave keeps writing great metal records while Metallican't loves to stick it's arrogant dick up it's "St. Anus" I mean "St. Anger" which is by far one of the worst albums on the planet.

I actually liked "Death Magnetic" but the Megadeth boys keep coming out with great shit every other year.

Metallica is DONE.  Megadeth kicks everyone right in the metal ass.  1022.gif

Slayer absolutely sucks.  I like "Reign In Blood" but that's about it!

Ha. Interesting post Earl. Guess I'm way in the minority here then. What's new I guess trink38.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ May 16 2012, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 17 2012, 04:49 AM)
Slayer
Anthrax
Metallica
Megadave

Get this man a beer trink38.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2012, 04:11 AM)
Newsted is a poser. You can't even hear his bass lines on "And Justice For All" which was actually an excellent progressive metal record.

He is not a poser. It was not his doing that there was no Bass, he was pissed also. The only posers were Lars, James and Kirk for cutting their hair and wearing f-n Make-up in the 90's . Sorry , if you are not Alice Cooper or Kiss , Men don't wear make-up no.gif

Slayer absolutely sucks. I like "Reign In Blood" but that's about it!

Please back away from the Crack pipe .

I couldn't find the none of the above option? confused13.gif

tongue.gif

ph34r.gif

Seriously though, what killed metal for me in the mid to late 80's was hair metal on one side, and thrasher speed metal on the other side. Neither of them were what I loved about NWOBHM. The first one was too sugary and poppy, the second one was too relentlessly heavy and fast, often (to my ears anyway) just for the sake of being heavy and fast. I liked the stuff that was a bit more melodic.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 2 2012, 08:19 AM)
Slayer absolutely sucks.  I like "Reign In Blood" but that's about it!

Please back away from the Crack pipe .

Sorry MD, can't get into Slayer.

I saw Judas Priest many years ago and Slayer opened. It was absolutely annoying.

I will say that I do own their "Reign In Blood" dvd. I love when it starts raining blood on the stage. Crazy shit.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 2 2012, 08:19 AM)
Newsted is a poser. You can't even hear his bass lines on "And Justice For All" which was actually an excellent progressive metal record.

He is not a poser. It was not his doing that there was no Bass, he was pissed also. The only posers were Lars, James and Kirk for cutting their hair and wearing f-n Make-up in the 90's . Sorry , if you are not Alice Cooper or Kiss , Men don't wear make-up no.gif

Ok dude! Fair enough. I didn't know that Jason was pissed about being turned down.

I used to check Jason's groceries out when I worked at Safeway back in the late Eighties early Nineties. He was always very nice and we talked about music a lot.

I agree. Once Metallica cut their hair they turned into complete posers.

Many people love the "Black Album." I think it's a piece of corporate commercial CRAP!

Ironically "And Justice For All" was their last great record.

I remember reading an interview with Lars in a local BAM magazine when the Black Album came out.

Lars actually said, and I remember this quote when asked about changing musical styles for the Black Album.

"We decided to De-Rush ourselves."

Where is the "none of the above" choice?

Don't like any of these 4 groups. The only work that I can listen to from any of them is Metallica's remake of "Turn the Page" (obviously the original was light years better) and the big hits off the Black Album (the album most Metallica fans seem to consider to have been crap).

Loved (and still do!!) the metal of the 80's. Def Leppard, Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, Dio, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Poison, Firehouse, Savatage, Skid Row's 1st album, Waysted, Winger, Slaughter, Bon Jovi's first 3 albums, Killer Dwarves Stand Tall album, Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, Guns & Roses 1st album, some ACDC, Tesla's 1st album. I could go on. Great music.

But speed / thrash metal? My reaction is mostly thanks, but no thanks.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 3 2012, 09:10 PM)

Loved (and still do!!) the metal of the 80's. Dokken, , Poison, Firehouse,, Skid Row's 1st album, , Winger, Slaughter, Bon Jovi's first 3 albums, Killer Dwarves Stand Tall album, Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, Guns & Roses 1st album

Wait.....You want an "None of the above" choice for these bands yet you listen to These albums and call them Metal ? laugh.gif I have never heard the term Metal used along side of Winger .

• Like 1

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 4 2012, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 3 2012, 09:10 PM)

Loved (and still do!!) the metal of the 80's.    Dokken, , Poison, Firehouse,, Skid Row's 1st album, , Winger, Slaughter, Bon Jovi's first 3 albums, Killer Dwarves Stand Tall album, Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, Guns & Roses 1st album

Wait.....You want an "None of the above" choice for these bands yet you listen to These albums and call them Metal ? laugh.gif I have never heard the term Metal used along side of Winger .

Check Wikipedia (not that its perfect). Winger is defined as hard rock, hair metal, glam metal and heavy metal.

Actually the article has some interesting comments about the relationship between Winger and Metallica.

If Winger falls in under metal (which it does to me) then the others I mentioned definitely would.

Its a matter of taste but I will take the groups I mentioned over these 4. and yes, I do call them metal. 80's hair metal to be exact. That being said, Winger would be amoung my least listened to of the groups.

Makes me think. I saw them back in the day with KISS and it was a great show. Winger, Slaughter and KISS. Very good show. All 3 groups rocked.

Now you really got me thinking. I forgot to mention Cinderella. Could add them to the list. Their first 2 albums had a lot of good stuff.

How I would have ranked them in the Eighties:

1. Metallica

2. Slayer

3. Anthrax

4. Megadeth

How I rank them now by total bodies of work, longevity, consistency and relevance:

1. Slayer

2. Metallica

3. Megadeth

4. Anthrax

How I rank the Big Five:

1. Slayer

2. Metallica

3. Exodus

4. Megadeth

5. Anthrax

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

I'll say Megadeth just because Rust in Peace is better than anything Metallica, Slayer, or Anthrax ever put out (IMO).

I so agree with that. It's such shame that Dave f*cked up the line-up with Marty and Nick...God they were awesome!!! RIP is still the standard