Who is a fan of Scars?

Gedneil Alpeart

Is that a keyboard bass sound looping in that song?

Regardless, I just love the loopy, propulsive rhythm and awesome atmospheric guitar effects. Alex doing a lot of subtle, crafty stuff in the background with Neil's drums and bongo effects creating such an infectious rhythm. The whole song has this intensity, ambience, tightness, and drive that I just love!

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great song! Been listening to Presto a lot recently.... until a month or so ago it was the only Rush album I'd never heard all the way through. Scars is definitely one of the best tracks. I love the "scars of pleasure! scars of pain!" line. Gives me chills.

Yeah, it has the whole rhythmic thing going for it, but the song never really seems to go anywhere. Kind of boring for me, actually. It's long been my least favorite tune on Presto, though Superconductor might one day seize that title.

It would be an incredible instrumental - listen to it with the vocals removed on Rush in Rio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkoROevelA

Comparatively to the music, the vocals feel like such an utterly plain afterthought.

One of my favorites off of "Presto"........very appealing song. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cheer.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ May 15 2012, 06:36 AM)
Yeah, it has the whole rhythmic thing going for it, but the song never really seems to go anywhere. Kind of boring for me, actually. It's long been my least favorite tune on Presto, though Superconductor might one day seize that title.

"Song never seems to go anywhere". Of course it doesn't. Music, by definition, exists in the present.

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 15 2012, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ May 15 2012, 06:36 AM)
Yeah, it has the whole rhythmic thing going for it, but the song never really seems to go anywhere.  Kind of boring for me, actually.  It's long been my least favorite tune on Presto, though Superconductor might one day seize that title.

"Song never seems to go anywhere". Of course it doesn't. Music, by definition, exists in the present.

Where is it supposed to go?

Presto's never been a big favourite of mine as an overall album but I freakin LOVE Scars! Such an atmospheric song and I for one wish Rush had explored that style of electronic music to a greater extent, in fact I wish they still would! The live version kicks ass even more!

Note how even though the song is very electronic, Alex's playing still really shines through. I say bring this one back for the CA tour!

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 15 2012, 09:04 AM)
Scars is great. I think I'm among the minority in that I love the entire Presto album!!

we are a strong minority! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ May 15 2012, 11:45 AM)
Presto's never been a big favourite of mine as an overall album but I freakin LOVE Scars! Such an atmospheric song and I for one wish Rush had explored that style of electronic music to a greater extent, in fact I wish they still would! The live version kicks ass even more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5Tm9BAWSw
Note how even though the song is very electronic, Alex's playing still really shines through. I say bring this one back for the CA tour!

yes.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 15 2012, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ May 15 2012, 09:04 AM)
Scars is great.  I think I'm among the minority in that I love the entire Presto album!!

we are a strong minority! trink39.gif

trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 14 2012, 06:41 PM)
Is that a keyboard bass sound looping in that song?

Regardless, I just love the loopy, propulsive rhythm and awesome atmospheric guitar effects. Alex doing a lot of subtle, crafty stuff in the background with Neil's drums and bongo effects creating such an infectious rhythm. The whole song has this intensity, ambience, tightness, and drive that I just love!

It's actually a sampled bass line, the Wal tone is unmistakeable!