Vapor Trails came out ten years ago

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ May 15 2012, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 14 2012, 06:20 PM)
I think Rush should celebrate by playing the whole album on the CA tour.

bolt.gif

Oh, gosh, if the entire Vapor Trails album was played live, I would be a happy kitty! I've been listening to so much Vapor Trails randomly on my ipod and my love for it has grown deeper! wub.gif

Happy 10th anniversary to a great album, and a big 1022.gif to everyone that enjoys it!

On a side note, I've always thought 'Freeze' would have been a good closer to the album. 'Out of the Cradle' is good in that role, too, but 'Freeze' seems more closer-y to me... anyone agree?

Agreed on all counts!

VT live = 1022.gif common001.gif It's my most-played album these days!

Also, Freeze would've been a good closer. In fact, Out Of The Cradle is the only song on VT I can't get into. I almost always stop listening after Freeze.

Hey, this is totally random, but I miss your old avatar! The yellow one, with Geddy and Alex exchanging a funny look!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mika @ May 15 2012, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ May 15 2012, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 14 2012, 06:20 PM)
I think Rush should celebrate by playing the whole album on the CA tour.

bolt.gif

Oh, gosh, if the entire Vapor Trails album was played live, I would be a happy kitty! I've been listening to so much Vapor Trails randomly on my ipod and my love for it has grown deeper! wub.gif

Happy 10th anniversary to a great album, and a big 1022.gif to everyone that enjoys it!

On a side note, I've always thought 'Freeze' would have been a good closer to the album. 'Out of the Cradle' is good in that role, too, but 'Freeze' seems more closer-y to me... anyone agree?

Agreed on all counts!

VT live = 1022.gif common001.gif It's my most-played album these days!

Also, Freeze would've been a good closer. In fact, Out Of The Cradle is the only song on VT I can't get into. I almost always stop listening after Freeze.

Hey, this is totally random, but I miss your old avatar! The yellow one, with Geddy and Alex exchanging a funny look!

laugh.gif tongue.gif

I kinda miss it too.... it's a great picture. smile.gif

Hmmmmmm decisions decisions

Wow, really ten years?

I remember downloading a radio sample of OLV from alt.music.rush, before the release, it had the dj speaking over the song, I should still have that somewhere, it added even more power to that dirty-sounding fury.

VT was with me during a very hard period of my life, so I will always love it, no matter what. It's raw, it's violent, it's barbaric, it's unrefined. So there.

Damn, I get old too fast!

Edited by H. P. L.

I like it because it sounds so different from other rush albums. Favourite songs for the moment are Peaceable kingdom, How it is and Freeze. The first time I heard the album, I thought the vocals were horrible, probably because I had only heard pre 90's rush and was so used to those vocals. Now I think VT is the most fun album to sing along to.

Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday VT!! I love this album!!

For me it marked the return of RUSH...after fearing that they were done forever. It also documented Neil's personal journey through a period more tragic than anyone could ever imagine. I'm not too tough to admit that many of those songs have reduced me to tears over the years. Try to listen to How it is while thinking about Neil's losses and grief and not feel the power of those emotions.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals)

Out of the cradle is one of my favourite songs off VT, it reminds me of Vital signs...

Edited by Alexmai

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 07:09 AM)
In fact, Out Of The Cradle is the only song on VT I can't get into. I almost always stop listening after Freeze.

One of my very favourites. The multi-tracked bass intro, the lyrics... I always say it's one of the most Who-ish Rush songs, if that makes any sense... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 14 2012, 09:23 PM)
and if you don't like it, doooooonnnnnntttttttt listen to it.

But it's so hard not to! Knowing there's such genius underneath that audio-mudslide! laugh.gif

2.gif

Edited by canadianice

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2012, 10:35 PM)
Oddly, it was ten years ago today that was my worst moment ever as a Rush fan. wink.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ May 15 2012, 01:44 PM)
Came out 10 years ago.  10 years + 1 day ago it got flung out the car window...

Man, when people don't like Vapor Trails, they REALLY don't like Vapor Trails.

This album seems to inspire a lot of passion in its listeners. smile.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 15 2012, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ May 15 2012, 12:44 PM)
Came out 10 years ago.  10 years + 1 day ago it got flung out the car window...

sorry for your loss rose.gif

Thanks for your sympathies...

people complained for so long that Rush needed to get back to a harder, heavier sound, and when they do, people complain still.

The anniversary part is great...because it brought Rush back, and that's what mattered to me.

As far as VT the album, it has not aged well with me at all. There are some great standouts on the album, but alot of other songs, that while they are good, they don't call out to me at all. I barely feel like listening to them ever.

Then you couple that with the atrocious sound quality issues, and that just makes it even less enjoyable really.

in the final analysis, VT will be regarded as a great Rush album

it's certainly the only album since Presto that's worth more than a couple of great tracks

VT is a phenomenal album - cursed by it's production, but alive and resonant like nothing else nonetheless

in fact, after listening to 'Headlong Flight' recently, I realized what it made me feel most was a yearning for the pure fire, emotion and groove of 'Freeze'

that song ('Freeze') is probably the best song they've written in almost 20 years - brutal (in a good way) and absolutely epic

can't say enough about it

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 15 2012, 09:38 PM)

yes.gif I think it will be seen as a landmark album in their career, all things said and done.

it's certainly the only album since Presto that's worth more than a couple of great tracks

I like many of the tracks on RTB and Counterparts, but they sound kind of generic, as if Rush was trying too much to fit in with the sound of the times. That said, I think CP has some phenomenal songs, and "Roll The Bones" is one my favorite Rush tunes. But they lack VT's punch.

VT is a phenomenal album - cursed by it's production, but alive and resonant like nothing else nonetheless

goodpost.gif Exactly. VT absolutely bristles with energy. The band is alive, kicking, and firing on all cylinders. The music (and, less importantly, the lyrics) are truly life-affirming.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:13 PM)

yes.gif I think it will be seen as a landmark album in their career, all things said and done.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 15 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:13 PM)

cool10.gif

Maybe I should wait until they drop the remix! laugh.gif Then perhaps you'll agree. wink.gif

Also, Neil's drumming is truly amazing on this album. His playing is incredibly technical yet sounds more natural and loose than anything since Moving Pictures. I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for his performance here.

NeilFinal.gif

VT was with me during a very hard period of my life, so I will always love it, no matter what. It's raw, it's violent, it's barbaric, it's unrefined. So there.

Same here - VT arrived in my life during a dark period for me as well. And knowing that album was borne out of a dark period for Neil and the band, well, I guess it definitely hit me a certain way. I think that despite its technical flaws it is still a good solid album. Anytime one of the songs from this album pops up in the iPod, it grabs me.

Incidentally, its also one of my wife's favorite albums.

2.gif

Still love it. It packs such an emotional punch.

I remember finding the "Rush Ate My Balls" website(quite funny) around the same time and purchasing Telleria's awful "Mereley(seriously) Players" book. I think I got "Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush" shortly afterwards.

"And the serious waste of trees award goes to....."

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 16 2012, 02:32 PM)

I remember finding the "Rush Ate My Balls" website(quite funny) around the same time and purchasing Telleria's awful "Mereley(seriously) Players" book. I think I got "Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush" shortly afterwards.

Still love the album. wub.gif

Guess I'd better not tell you I have Robert Telleria's book..!

QUOTE (Babycat @ May 16 2012, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 16 2012, 02:32 PM)

Still love the album. wub.gif

Guess I'd better not tell you I have Robert Telleria's book..!

I still have mine, gathering dust. But I'm a hoarder.