The Ultimate Sin.

D3strukt

Good album. Diary, Blizzard, Ultimate Sin then Bark...jake had quite a unique style for his time, compared to all the Eddie clones

I didn't realise so many Ozzy fans liked this album! I am not that big of Ozzy Solo material. But this is top notch IMO.

At least as comparable to Sabotage with Sabbath. *Ducks head*

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 16 2012, 08:58 PM)
Good album. Diary, Blizzard, Ultimate Sin then Bark...jake had quite a unique style for his time, compared to all the Eddie clones

Speaking of Eddie, during the '83 Texas Jam, Ed approached Jake and told him he was the best guitarist that had come along since himself. Kind of an arrogant, yet still sincere comment I suppose. That same day Ted Nuggent told Jake he was incredible. Jake's head must have been spinning that day!

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 18 2012, 12:38 AM)
I didn't realise so many Ozzy fans liked this album! I am not that big of Ozzy Solo material. But this is top notch IMO.

At least as comparable to Sabotage with Sabbath. *Ducks head*

No need to duck. I think Sabotage is very overrated among Sabbath fans (not by the general public) although Hole in the Sky is one of my favorite Ozzy era songs. Now, if you had said anything between Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, I might have freaked out. wink.gif

LOVE this album. It's fantastic.

Jake E. Lee kind of became the forgotten child between the legendary Randy Rhodes and the popular/long-tenured Zakk Wylde.

Both 'Bark' and 'Ultimate Sin' are fantastic albums...two of my favourites from Ozzy.

The Ultimate Sin has some amazing stuff on it. I'd put Secret Loser, Lightning Strikes, Fool Like You, and Shot In The Dark amongst Ozzy's very best songs. I love them all. This album rocks hard! 1022.gif

I like the vocals a lot, but I'm only about halfway impressed with the songwriting. Some of it doesn't hold up to me. I much prefer No More Tears.

Working with Ron Nevison (Heart/Kiss) certainly didn't hurt this album, from a commercial appeal. It's slick and sounds great.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 18 2012, 08:42 AM)
LOVE this album. It's fantastic.

Jake E. Lee kind of became the forgotten child between the legendary Randy Rhodes and the popular/long-tenured Zakk Wylde.

Both 'Bark' and 'Ultimate Sin' are fantastic albums...two of my favourites from Ozzy.

The Ultimate Sin has some amazing stuff on it. I'd put Secret Loser, Lightning Strikes, Fool Like You, and Shot In The Dark amongst Ozzy's very best songs. I love them all. This album rocks hard!  1022.gif

I like the Jake albums better than the Randy albums, that riff on Bark is just pure awesomeness!

Too sad that Sharon had to sack him...... angry.gif

He did some awesome stuff with Badlands as well High Wire

And that vocalist, Ray Gillen (RIP).......He had some pipes! 1022.gif

Dont know what Jake does now. He played at the Working Man Rush tribute, but that must be decades ago now...

While Ozzy is in fine form vocally and melodically, the problem is that musically and production wise it approaches generic '80s glam/hair metal territory as well as some slightly formulaic songwriting. For me it was the first Ozzy album that was a disappointment and a noticeable decline after Blizzard, Diary, Speak & Bark. NRFTW was even worse but he came back strong with NMT and Ozzmosis.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 24 2012, 04:59 PM)
While Ozzy is in fine form vocally and melodically, the problem is that musically and production wise it approaches generic '80s glam/hair metal territory as well as some slightly formulaic songwriting. For me it was the first Ozzy album that was a disappointment and a noticeable decline after Blizzard, Diary, Speak & Bark. NRFTW was even worse but he came back strong with NMT and Ozzmosis.

I agree, there is a rigid, formulaic, over produced sound to The Ultimate Sin, but it still works! Plainly said, this album is just heavy. Its the last Ozzy album that totally got me. I'm in totall disagreeance with NMT and Ozzmosis. Those albums are so commercial and radio friendly they lose that heaviness that drew me to Ozzy and Sabbath in the first place.