What is the point of cynicism and negativity?

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 10 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
People love to complain about criticism and negativity and think that somehow in doing so, it will somehow bring about some kind of change in consciousness and result in a fountain of positivity, a shining light in the darkness.  Prepare for disappointment if that's the case, as this is probably the 50th version of this thread (in one form or another), and nothing has changed, nor will it.  Either you like it around here enough to deal with the aspects you don't like, or you leave.  I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does, but that's just reality based on history.

You can want to stay on one hand, and on the other hand wish it was different or even berate people if they're not doing it the way you want them to do it, but you're not going to get anywhere.  It's been tried - many times.  It doesn't work.

Complaining about people complaining is just more complaining and will bring about more of the same.  Being negative about negativity is just more negativity, but somehow people want to perceive it as a better, more noble negativity.  At least I'm not putting down Rush on a Rush board you negative, complaining jerk!  Real positive, right? wink.gif tongue.gif

I do understand the OP's premise of people constantly repeating themselves, but isn't that what we as human beings do?  We have our views, beliefs, personalities, opinions, etc., and unless those change, we're going to remain pretty consistent.  The people who love most every Rush song and most every Rush album and say nothing but positive things about Rush are just as consistent, only that's considered to be a more noble (and certainly less controversial) type of consistency and repetition, so it's accepted.  It's hard to have it both ways.

I'm a major Rush fan.  They're my favorite band in the world.  I've loved them for 31 years.  They've set an EXTREMELY high bar to live up to, and when they don't live up to it in my eyes, I'm disappointed.  I'm grateful that I've found a discussion board where I can talk about what works and what doesn't work, where we can share opinions, never losing sight that they are always only opinions, and that the whole thing is supposed to be fun (at least in my mind).  Sure, things get heated, but isn't that just like life too?  At least it keeps it from being boring.  TRF is diverse people and personalities talking about a band - the great, the good and the not so good.  It's not perfect, neither is life.  Do your best to enjoy it regardless! trink39.gif

schla03.gif

banghead.gif

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever my daughter complains about her "lot" I comfort her with the observation that some people are in such a desperate situation they can't tell the difference between new Rush and shit.

Works every time.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 01:59 PM)
Whenever my daughter complains about her "lot" I comfort her with the observation that some people are in such a desperate situation they can't tell the difference between new Rush and shit.

Works every time.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 10:59 AM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

I don't want to put people down for loving new Rush, but that was just plain damn funny. yes.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 10 2012, 07:00 PM)

Works every time.

facepalm.gif

Yeah, incredible isn't it? When you finally realise the truth you could slap yourself. I'm just helping you on your way. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2012, 02:01 PM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

I don't want to put people down for loving new Rush, but that was just plain damn funny. yes.gif

laugh.gif

I agree...Tony R always cracks me up. Classic.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 10 2012, 07:00 PM)

Works every time.

facepalm.gif

Yeah, incredible isn't it? When you finally realise the truth you could slap yourself. I'm just helping you on your way. wink.gif

laugh.gif Alright.... I admit it, that was funny.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 10 2012, 01:13 PM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Yup. Just about every post of his is laughable. He's one funny old man. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 10 2012, 07:21 PM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Yup. Just about every post of his is laughable. He's one funny old man. laugh.gif

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 11:33 AM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? confused13.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lRcqvowUNrM/SYNEljH7L1I/AAAAAAAAA58/UjuPX5KpJHQ/s320/devito.jpg

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 01:33 PM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Just.. ya know, how you tell the story.. what? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 10 2012, 07:41 PM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the f**k am I funny, what the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 11:48 AM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the f**k am I funny, what the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/2/6/4/1/9/0/a2844468-36-Joe-Pesci-Goodfellas.jpg

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2012, 01:48 PM)

Works every time.

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

unsure.gif

Get the f**k out of here, Tony!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Edited by Lerxster

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 08:25 AM)
To be fair, I don't think it's ALL "trolling".

Some people simply don't like the new material, and make it known. This is a forum do discuss Rush, and although most is positive, some will obviously not be.

Now, are there some legit trolls? Yes...definitely. Like MD said, they come out, and once we hit June 12, you will see them here in full force. Believe me.

Others simply play it up...because they can. This is the Internet afterall...it's easy to say what you want.

As long as you like the material, that's all that matters. Besides, the negativity is far and few between. Of the 1000 posts a day, you see maybe 50 that have any negative stances to them, and most are from the same people. wink.gif

Have fun...and just enjoy the ride. Even the negative posts make me laugh from time to time. New Rush is almost here...time to enjoy this ride, because we never know if this will be the last new album (though I certainly hope not!)

Great points, I think you summed it up.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 11 2012, 04:41 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 08:25 AM)
To be fair, I don't think it's ALL "trolling".

Some people simply don't like the new material, and make it known. This is a forum do discuss Rush, and although most is positive, some will obviously not be.

Now, are there some legit trolls? Yes...definitely. Like MD said, they come out, and once we hit June 12, you will see them here in full force. Believe me.

Others simply play it up...because they can. This is the Internet afterall...it's easy to say what you want.

As long as you like the material, that's all that matters. Besides, the negativity is far and few between. Of the 1000 posts a day, you see maybe 50 that have any negative stances to them, and most are from the same people.  wink.gif

Have fun...and just enjoy the ride. Even the negative posts make me laugh from time to time. New Rush is almost here...time to enjoy this ride, because we never know if this will be the last new album (though I certainly hope not!)

Great points, I think you summed it up.

+1

QUOTE (Phantom @ May 9 2012, 11:37 PM)
Interesting topic.

Like many of the members here, I've been a huge fan of the band for close to 35 years. Most of the people that I know personally and professionally either don't care about the band, or don't like the band at all. That's ok w' me. It always has been this way, and it always will be.

Like most, there is some of their material that I absolutely love, some that I like, and some that I could have done without.

Re the negativity...........

Any comments, one way or the other, have never taken away from how I feel about the band, and how I feel when I listen to their music. For those who are negative about the band, whether it's here in this forum, or down the hall in the next office, I say give them their voice..... They're entitled to dislike anything Rush related just as much as I'm entitled to love it.

I'm completely unaffected by those who don't like the band, just as I would hope that fans of other bands would be unaffected by my dislike of their music.

Moreover, it's not as though I secretly wish that anyone who disses the band would come to love them, or that I feel the need ask them why they don't like something in particular about Rush. Most importantly, I certainly never feel the need to defend my feelings about the bands work. I just embrace the fact that for me, I've never been moved by any other band in a way that I've been moved by Rush. Nothing anyone says or does will change that feeling for me.

Today, as much as ever before, Rush's music and lyrics bring joy to my life in ways that I find difficult to describe, and if given the chance, I can't imagine how I'd ever be able to thank Ged, Al and Neil enough.

Brilliant!

applaudit.gif goodpost.gif