What is the point of cynicism and negativity?

Gedneil Alpeart

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 9 2012, 08:09 AM)
...yes, I know that some of you dont like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your dissatisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete dismissal and panning...not able to salvage anything positive out of the new stuff...

so, let's say I like to eat eggs, but only a very special brand

and let's also say that this brand is rare, so I don't get to have them very often

in fact, over the last 10 years, I've only been able to purchase 37 eggs

of those 37, the first dozen were pretty good (a few 'odd' tasting ones here and there)

but the next eight were awful (though I was told they were not from the usual source)

no surprise, then - I was wary of the next dozen, but gave them a chance (because, when these eggs are good, they're phenomenal - the best I've ever had)

^ much to my chagrin, however, every other egg in that dozen was terrible

I've only bought three eggs from them since then - and each one was 'off' in some way (none have tasted quite right)

the company said that just nine more would be available this year... if I want them

how many more eggs from that brand do you think I should buy at this point before I try something else for breakfast?

Dear ghostworks,

You should buy infinity more eggs.

Signed,

A fanboi

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 12:40 PM)
...yes, I know that some of you dont like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your dissatisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete dismissal and panning...not able to salvage anything positive out of the new stuff...

and let's also say that this brand is rare, so I don't get to have them very often

of those 37, the first dozen were pretty good (a few 'odd' tasting ones here and there)

but the next eight were awful (though I was told they were not from the usual source)

no surprise, then - I was wary of the next dozen, but gave them a chance (because, when these eggs are good, they're phenomenal - the best I've ever had)

I've only bought three eggs from them since then - and each one was 'off' in some way (none have tasted quite right)

the company said that just nine more would be available this year... if I want them

how many more eggs from that brand do you think I should buy at this point before I try something else for breakfast?

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2009/Aug/idtiots_image018.jpg

Is this one of those "word problem" things?

When I came here, I didn't know there'd be math involved.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 12:47 PM)

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

I would say eggs is eggs, so the problem is probably you. Make an appointment with your family doctor to check your cholesterol, and switch to cereal or oatmeal.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 9 2012, 11:04 AM)

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

I would say eggs is eggs, so the problem is probably you. Make an appointment with your family doctor to check your cholesterol, and switch to cereal or oatmeal.

6. "Supper's Ready"

I. "Lover's Leap"

II. "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man"

III. "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men"

IV. "How Dare I Be So Beautiful?"

V. "Willow Farm"

VI. "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)"

VII. "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 9 2012, 11:04 AM)

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

6. "Supper's Ready"

I. "Lover's Leap"

II. "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man"

III. "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men"

IV. "How Dare I Be So Beautiful?"

V. "Willow Farm"

VI. "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)"

VII. "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)"

Oh, and that reminds me.. as sure as eggs is eggs, please dont go to an egg fan site and gripe and groan about your egg problem. Nobody cares!

A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound. I can perfectly understand fans wanting to be cautious about expectations and not wanting to hype lest raise too high and unrealistic hopes only to be disappointed. However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive cynicism and negativity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full. Yes, I know that some of you dont like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your dissatisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete dismissal and panning...not able to salvage anything positive out of the new stuff. I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here.

Beyond expressing particular points of dissatisfaction, what gives about the bashing? Why the trolling? Are you indirectly expressing some sort of grudge towards the band about past expectations being smashed or utter disappointment? Is this negativity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express dissenting opinions for attention, or vent your frustrations about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush? Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are enjoying new material, but you cant join the party? Are you frustrated that Rush didnt create MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album? Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this negative spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The negativity is old and tiresome. It contributes nothing positive to discussions. Heard it all. Again, to be clear, Im no fan boy and dont appreciate blind praise for anything Rush puts out either. There are many Rush songs I dont much appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too. Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives. Expressing general dislike for a song or album is not what I have an issue with. You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

Well, well, what have we here? This is a forum isn't it? And here's me thinking that a forum is where people discuss things and -gasp- exchange different points of view?

How the hell can you have a discussion if everyone thinks the same bloody thing; Clockwork Angels man, great album...................................?? Seems we can only have an opinion as long as it coincides with your narrow world view that only nob jockey gushingly positive posts are relevant?

See, the problem for me (potential brit troll in your eyes no doubt) is that a LOT of us brits (and other rush fans) were raised on early Rush 76-81. IMO and for lots of other Rush fans the band hit a creative peak with Moving Pictures and the decline started with Signals. Every album thereafter, with perhaps the exception of Power Windows has flashes of brilliance but nowhere near the consistency of kings to pictures.

Reasons?

They were never as hungry as they were before MP because that record made them for life. Every band hits a creative peak and MP was theirs. Malcolm Dome a british rock music writer made a very insightful comment in classic rock a few years ago when comparing the band to AC/DC noting that the aussies knew exactly what their strengths were whereas Rush didn't. That strength was overplaying like crazy and creating cinematic music that builds an image inside your head. I deny anyone to listen to the middle of the trees and not imagine being in a wood.

Then, despite Pearts assertion the band doesn't like to repeat themselves we got over 30 years of verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus songs. Really Neil???

And then we get the Johnny come latelys who didn't get into the band until the late 80's early 90's with absolutely zero appreciation of the bands early heritage who genuinely believe that songs like Caravan are amongst the finest songs the band have written. Pffft-how do you snort in print?

And that my friend is why some of us think the way we do. It's not negativity, it's not trolling, it's simply an opinion on the lament for what Rush used to be.

And this coming from someone whose last rush concert was 8 years ago - christ on a bike, I've seen them 6 times since then in the UK!

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 01:24 PM)
A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound.  I can perfectly understand fans wanting to be cautious about expectations and not wanting to hype lest raise too high and unrealistic hopes only to be disappointed.  However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive cynicism and negativity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full.  Yes, I know that some of you dont like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your dissatisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete dismissal and panning...not able to salvage anything positive out of the new stuff.  I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here. 

Beyond expressing particular points of dissatisfaction, what gives about the bashing?  Why the trolling?  Are you indirectly expressing some sort of grudge towards the band about past expectations being smashed or utter disappointment?  Is this negativity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express dissenting opinions for attention, or vent your frustrations about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush?  Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are enjoying new material, but you cant join the party?  Are you frustrated that Rush didnt create MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album?  Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this negative spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The negativity is old and tiresome.  It contributes nothing positive to discussions.  Heard it all.  Again, to be clear, Im no fan boy and dont appreciate blind praise for anything Rush puts out either.  There are many Rush songs I dont much appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too.  Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives.  Expressing general dislike for a song or album is not what I have an issue with.  You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

Well, well, what have we here? This is a forum isn't it? And here's me thinking that a forum is where people discuss things and -gasp- exchange different points of view?

How the hell can you have a discussion if everyone thinks the same bloody thing; Clockwork Angels man, great album...................................?? Seems we can only have an opinion as long as it coincides with your narrow world view that only nob jockey gushingly positive posts are relevant?

See, the problem for me (potential brit troll in your eyes no doubt) is that a LOT of us brits (and other rush fans) were raised on early Rush 76-81. IMO and for lots of other Rush fans the band hit a creative peak with Moving Pictures and the decline started with Signals. Every album thereafter, with perhaps the exception of Power Windows has flashes of brilliance but nowhere near the consistency of kings to pictures.

Reasons?

They were never as hungry as they were before MP because that record made them for life. Every band hits a creative peak and MP was theirs. Malcolm Dome a british rock music writer made a very insightful comment in classic rock a few years ago when comparing the band to AC/DC noting that the aussies knew exactly what their strengths were whereas Rush didn't. That strength was overplaying like crazy and creating cinematic music that builds an image inside your head. I deny anyone to listen to the middle of the trees and not imagine being in a wood.

Then, despite Pearts assertion the band doesn't like to repeat themselves we got over 30 years of verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus songs. Really Neil???

And then we get the Johnny come latelys who didn't get into the band until the late 80's early 90's with absolutely zero appreciation of the bands early heritage who genuinely believe that songs like Caravan are amongst the finest songs the band have written. Pffft-how do you snort in print?

And that my friend is why some of us think the way we do. It's not negativity, it's not trolling, it's simply an opinion on the lament for what Rush used to be.

And this coming from someone whose last rush concert was 8 years ago - christ on a bike, I've seen them 6 times since then in the UK!

I never got an image of being in a wood while listening to The Trees, but I may gave gotten a wood once or twice.

Anyway, think I got your gist.. old Rush good, new Rush bad. Right-o!

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 12:24 PM)
And that my friend is why some of us think the way we do.

You know what? Piss off. I discovered them with Presto and I'll be goddamned if you or any other narrow-minded prat is going to tell me that I'm not as 'good' a fan as you. I've got 20 years of being a fan, that's not a "Johnny Come Lately" - and it wouldn't matter if it was. You are no better, no more valid a fan as the kid who just discovered the band when Caravan came out.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 11:01 AM)

You know what? Piss off. I discovered them with Presto and I'll be goddamned if you or any other narrow-minded prat is going to tell me that I'm not as 'good' a fan as you. I've got 20 years of being a fan, that's not a "Johnny Come Lately" - and it wouldn't matter if it was. You are no better, no more valid a fan as the kid who just discovered the band when Caravan came out.

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 02:01 PM)

Whoah there, Tiger. Read what I wrote. It's an opinion, expressed in response to the OP. You obviously missed that my point about Johnny come latelys wasn't really meant to be taken quite THAT seriously. And neither is it a slur on how good or valid people like yourself are as fans. It's just that you do seem to have a different...............................perspective, shall we say? And that perspective is bound to be different when you have no idea what it was like to put the needle on that slab of vinyl and be totally blown away by those records from that period.

I remember listening to the start of kings thinking wtf and then. Bam!! I was hooked. For life, even tho the later stuff isn't as good. Compare and contrast Red Barchetta against Driven, as an example.

The other thing is it took a bit of courage to be a rush fan in those days in the UK when punk was king and all the critics were telling us what dickheads we were for liking a band like Rush and how punk was going to kill off dinosaur rock.

Yeah, right when Pink Floyd had the last number one of the 70's in the UK.

So, no, I won't piss off. But I will happily disagree with some of the uncritical posts made in here and cross swords til we all agree I'm right. trink39.gif

so, let's say I like RUSH

and let's also say that RUSH don't release songs very often

in fact, over the last 10 years, I've only been able to purchase 37 RUSH songs

of those 37, the Vapor Trails album was pretty good (a few 'odd' songs here and there)

but Feedback was awful (though to be fair, they were just cover songs)

no surprise, then - I was wary of S&A, but gave them a chance (because, when RUSH is good, they're phenomenal - the best I've ever listened to)

^ much to my chagrin, however, every other song on that album was terrible

I've only bought three RUSH songs since then - and each one was 'off' in some way (none have sounded quite right)

RUSH releases Clockwork Angels this June

how many more songs by RUSH do you think I should buy at this point?

unsure.gif

^

...any easier?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 12:40 PM)

Zero. You should have stopped buying that brand years ago.

There is no sense in buying the same eggs (that you don't like) over and over again and sitting at the kitchen table every morning whining about them. Unless, of course, you really like whining....... tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 03:01 PM)

Yeah, I agree.

It doesn't matter when you got into the band. Personally, I wasn't even born until post-Signals, and didn't get into Rush until circa 1997 (right as they went into their hiatus).

I can assure you that I'm as big of a fan as they come (in case you haven't noticed).

I'm glad there are fans that have been around since day one...that's awesome for you guys. You literally got to watch the band evolve. The biggest problem is that some of you...can't evolve yourselves. In your minds, nothing measures up to the 'glory days'.

Comparing every single new song that's released to Xanadu, Freewill, or La Villa Strangiato to determine if it "stacks up" as a great Rush song or not is simply ludicrous IMO. Either you like what you hear, or you don't.

If I hear a song for the first time that was released from an older band, my first thought isn't, "wait...does this measure up to what they made in 1980? No? Then it sucks."

That's the absolute beauty of RUSH for me. The band continues to evolve, and damn...still continues to release relevant music almost 40 YEARS after they began their career. As fans, you can either evolve with them and enjoy the ride, or hide behind your phonographs dreaming of yester-year.

z7shysterical.gif @ this thread.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 03:35 PM)

so, let's say I like RUSH

and let's also say that RUSH don't release songs very often

in fact, over the last 10 years, I've only been able to purchase 37 RUSH songs

of those 37, the Vapor Trails album was pretty good (a few 'odd' songs here and there)

but Feedback was awful (though to be fair, they were just cover songs)

no surprise, then - I was wary of S&A, but gave them a chance (because, when RUSH is good, they're phenomenal - the best I've ever listened to)

^ much to my chagrin, however, every other song on that album was terrible

I've only bought three RUSH songs since then - and each one was 'off' in some way (none have sounded quite right)

RUSH releases Clockwork Angels this June

how many more songs by RUSH do you think I should buy at this point?

unsure.gif

^

...any easier?

laugh.gif

Thanks! (Hopefully you realize that I knew exactly what you were saying).

signs015.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 02:01 PM)

applaudit.gif

I've always hated the Rushier-than-thou attitude of "I'm a true fan and you're not, because you've only been listening since Album X." Screw that! I've been a fan for just shy of thirty years, but I don't lord that over the fans who came aboard in the 90s.

I once got into an online argument with one of Bill "the B-Man" Banasiewicz's obnoxious little friends, who kept saying I wasn't a "true fan" because I hadn't been a fan since 1974. That's bullshit. I was six years-old in 1974. As soon as I was older and heard Rush in the early 80s, I became a fan, and a HUGE ONE at that. The only thing, then, which kept me from being a "true fan" in that guy's eyes was that I wasn't born earlier! Nothing I could do about that. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 11:24 AM)
Reasons?

I disagree that the drop off came post-MP, as I think it came post-HYF, but other than that I agree with you pretty completely. I love that description of their strength being "overplaying like crazy and creating cinematic music that builds an image inside your head." wub.gif

Also, I'm inclined to agree with the verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus thing. I started really noticing this around Presto, but mostly because that's the first album I considered mediocre, although the same principle can be applied for the albums that preceded it. At the time I called it "formulaic" and that Neil lyrically was "stuck in a rut," but I can see now that the thing I was starting to become uncomfortable with was that things had just become too structured. Since I loved the lyrics, music and playing (not to mention my beloved keyboards) on Signals through HYF, this structure didn't bother me, but when the material started to get weaker (IMHO), I started missing a song breaking out and going in mysterious directions with spaciousness and surprise.

Of course there are albums and songs post-HYF that I think really worked in spades, but it's the general trend I'm speaking of. Maybe in a way I'm rebelling against them going from progressive rock to more straight ahead rock. With straight ahead rock, the material has to be really top notch for it to all come together for me.

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 11:24 AM)

While I have zero against anyone who came into the band later on (firstly because they can't help when they got into Rush, and secondly because believe it or not they can go back and listen to classic Rush and still make a determination on what Rush they think is best), I do think that making claims like Caravan being among the best Rush ever is a bit nuts. Just my opinion. Then again, I happen to think Armor & Sword and Far Cry is up there among their best stuff too - not top ten certainly, but top twenty-five, so new Rush being great is not impossible, it's just not incredibly common IMHO.

Edited by rushgoober

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10,000 posts OMG

Congrats! applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif cheer.gif