Ozzy vs. Bruce Dickinson

adace1

Which singer/musician do you prefer?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which singer/musician do you prefer?

• Ozzy
    • Bruce
    • I like both equally

It probably doesn't help that Ozzy's not done much to help his image, from his wobbly TV show to his fecking spoiled jerk children...to his insufferable c.u.n.t. of a wife. It's no wonder that we're forced to look back on Ozzy of old to remember what he used to be like. I'm not talking about talent decline either, but image decline.

I'm pretty sure Maiden and Dickinson remain as stalwart and cool as they've ever been. They've not lost much of a step.

All things on an equal playing field, Bruce has always been an infinitely better vocalist as well.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Let's see Ozzy sing Hallowed Be Thy Name or Powerslave laugh.gif Never in a million years or no matter how young he was, Never . He has a voice that you know who it is right away and that is great , but stand him next to Dio , Halford , Bruce etc. No contest

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 9 2012, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 8 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 7 2012, 10:16 PM)
Knocking Ozzy is the thing to do these days but still the results are surprising. In his prime Ozzy was clearly the superior singer, possessing of the finest and most distinctive voices in rock. That menacing, mournful wail is tough to beat and combined with the strong sense of melodicism in his solo music and Ozzy gets the nod without question. Being a part of one of the greatest bands of all time doesn't hurt either.

Ozzy in his prime was a superior singer than Bruce was in his? I love to know what you're hearing to come to that conclusion. Also, when it comes to melody Bruce is as good as any rock/metal singer has ever been. I'm not bashing Ozzy because it's the thing to do either. I've loved Ozzy for just as long as i've been into metal. But you can't deny that all the criticism Ozzy has gotten through the last decade or so he brought on himself.

I hear it in songs like Spiral Architect, Symptom of the Universe, Black Sabbath, Changes, The Writ, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and on and on. He could get up there pretty high without using falsetto and the emotion and phrasing in a song like Children of the Grave is spot on. I'm not sure what those who say he wasn't a great singer are hearing but I'd rank those vocal performances up there with the likes of Plant and Gillan. And that's just the Sabbath stuff. There aren't as many examples in the solo stuff since it was generally less musically adventurous and therefore less challenging vocally but he has some moments like BatM and Diary's title tracks and many of the ballads.

Now in terms of melody, if you're going to say that about Bruce you almost have to include Ozzy as well. In his solo work it's almost Beatle-esque at times, who were huge influence on Ozzy.

And sure there's things to critcize the man about with valid reasons but sometimes it seems to go too far and gets blown of all proportion. I think Ozzy is generally a pretty decent, likable and humble guy.

I agree that Ozzy did a great job on those songs but I also think the higher range he sang on Vol 4, SBS and Sabotage did permanent damage to his voice. While it added a lot to the songs to go that high, his voice was never meant to do that. His voice on the first three Sabbath albums and his solo career is the range his voice is meant to be at. That's also why Bruce is better, he's never sang anything that was out of his range and can still sing most of Maiden's back catalog today. When Sabbath did their reunion tours they avoided just about everything from Vol 4, SBS and Sabotage because Ozzy can't sing that stuff anymore. Bruce has taken much better care of his voice over the years and that only adds more to his vocal superiority over Ozzy.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 8 2012, 11:23 PM)
Ozzy has presided over some amazing music, no doubt.  But he was always about emotion, not technique. 

Spot on. I love both of these guys. But boiling them down to their best work, you have to say Ozzy has had more iconic stuff then Bruce. Dickinson has a technically superior voice, but that's like saying the lead singer of Europe is "better" than David Lee Roth.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2012, 10:46 AM)
True, pure vocal talent isn't everything.  And I love Ozzy for his intangibles, much like I do Roth for his, in fact.  Distinctive.

I've never quite understood the fascination with technique when we're talking about rock singers. The hair bands of the 80s had tons of guys that had phenomenal range and power. I'll take Ozzy on Hole in the Sky or Over the Mountain over them every day and twice on Sunday.

Another two of my favorite front men are Roth and Jagger. Neither of them had great voices, technically speaking. But they had "it" whatever that might be.

Ozzy is the master in the studio. Love his studio voice. Live he has pretty much always sucked.

Bruce is great studio and live.

So I would say...

Bruce is by far the better technical singer, but on records I prefer Ozzy's voice.

Love them both.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ May 9 2012, 08:52 AM)
I like both of their music but Bruce is/was an infinitely better vocalist than Ozzy.

In my opinion Dio buried them both.

I would take the first 2 Dio solo albums over Anything Ozzy or Bruce has done solo

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2012, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ May 9 2012, 08:52 AM)
I like both of their music but Bruce is/was an infinitely better vocalist than Ozzy. 

In my opinion Dio buried them both.

I would take the first 2 Dio solo albums over Anything Ozzy or Bruce has done solo

I saw 2 Dio solo tours in the mid 80's. Both were epic shows!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 10 2012, 04:31 AM)
Easy Ozzy - Maiden without Paul - no thanks!!!

Really? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ May 10 2012, 08:35 PM)

Really? unsure.gif

I grew up with the first 2 Albums and was very disappointed at the time when Paul was replaced. I can't stand the voice of Bruce (I know I'm in the minority here) and therefore I can hardly find good songs in the later Maiden catalogue. Exceptions are a few songs from 'Powerslave'. Please don't ask about 'Marillion' without Fish or 'Genesis' without Gabriel...

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 11 2012, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 10 2012, 08:35 PM)

Really? unsure.gif

I grew up with the first 2 Albums and was very disappointed at the time when Paul was replaced. I can't stand the voice of Bruce (I know I'm in the minority here) and therefore I can hardly find good songs in the later Maiden catalogue. Exceptions are a few songs from 'Powerslave'. Please don't ask about 'Marillion' without Fish or 'Genesis' without Gabriel...

I do like Paul, but Maiden would have faded away years ago had they not changed singers.

I also love Fish, but Marillion is better with Hogarth imo.

but that's music. Its ok to disagree. Whatever sounds good to your ears is all that matters.