Neil on Exit... Stage Left

Gilbertk

I was rewatching ESL and in the beginning when Neil is speaking (that IS Neil right?) and he says t admit I feel "I must admit I feel very comfortable though, I like playing live a lot."

I thought Neil hated touring and playing live? This seems totally out of character for him.

Yes, that's definitely his voice talking, and yes, that's an out-of-character thing for him to say. For years, all we heard in interviews is how much he hated it... but most of THOSE interviews were later, after ESL. Maybe he once liked it but changed his mind. Keep in mind that ESL was recorded only about seven years after he joined the band; that was thirty years ago!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 5 2012, 02:35 PM)
Yes, that's definitely his voice talking, and yes, that's an out-of-character thing for him to say. For years, all we heard in interviews is how much he hated it... but most of THOSE interviews were later, after ESL. Maybe he once liked it but changed his mind. Keep in mind that ESL was recorded only about seven years after he joined the band; that was thirty years ago!

Exactly.

He doesn't dislike playing live at all. He says it's still one of the biggest adrenaline rushes you can imagine. It's everything else that goes along with touring and the grind that it becomes after a few months out that he's not crazy about. He calls it the Vortex. I think Geddy said he enjoyed the last tour immensely.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 5 2012, 04:35 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 5 2012, 02:35 PM)
Yes, that's definitely his voice talking, and yes, that's an out-of-character thing for him to say.  For years, all we heard in interviews is how much he hated it... but most of THOSE interviews were later, after ESL.  Maybe he once liked it but changed his mind.  Keep in mind that ESL was recorded only about seven years after he joined the band; that was thirty years ago!

Exactly.

Exactly.

I've found that being thought a grouchy old crank, even if you are not, affords one a great deal of freedom because it lessens any demanding expectations of those you do not know, beyond what is explicitly promised to them.

I don't think it reflects the level of enjoyment in playing live.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 5 2012, 04:52 AM)
He doesn't dislike playing live at all. He says it's still one of the biggest adrenaline rushes you can imagine. It's everything else that goes along with touring and the grind that it becomes after a few months out that he's not crazy about. He calls it the Vortex. I think Geddy said he enjoyed the last tour immensely.

goodpost.gif

Of course he enjoys playing live.... if he doesn't, why is he a touring musician?

Neil dislikes the act of touring. The daily grind of travel, wait, soundcheck, wait, dinner, wait all for the payoff of a couple hours on stage.

Playing live is something he has consistently said he enjoys thoroughly.

Yup, its touring he doesnt like. What they should do is open up a Rush venue somewhere that they play and only there and fans would have to travel to IT instead of them traveling to fans.

(of course I am being facetious) wink.gif

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ May 5 2012, 10:25 AM)
Yup, its touring he doesnt like. What they should do is open up a Rush venue somewhere that they play and only there and fans would have to travel to IT instead of them traveling to fans.

(of course I am being facetious) wink.gif

Facetious indeed. Careful what you say, or the probability police will lay a smack-down on ya faster than Neil leaves the stage at the end of a show.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 5 2012, 05:35 AM)

goodpost.gif

Of course he enjoys playing live.... if he doesn't, why is he a touring musician?

I guess his new $6,000,000 dollar house and purchase of a classic late '60's split window Corvette to add to his car collection would be a reason for his continouing touring!

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 5 2012, 03:52 AM)

If he truly didn't like playing live and touring, he wouldn't be doing it. I don't see him devoting so much of his time and energy to the band just to please Geddy and Alex. I don't see him doing it just for the money.

When a guy speaks his mind and mentions that touring is a pain, why do so many people exaggerate it into something unreal? confused13.gif confused13.gif I would bet that a thousand musicians feel exactly the same way Neil does. Touring is a pain.

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ May 5 2012, 11:54 AM)

goodpost.gif

I guess his new $6,000,000 dollar house and purchase of a classic late '60's split window Corvette to add to his car collection would be a reason for his continouing touring!

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 5 2012, 09:07 AM)
Neil dislikes the act of touring. The daily grind of travel, wait, soundcheck, wait, dinner, wait all for the payoff of a couple hours on stage.

Bingo.

He loves the PLAYING live. He also loves the motorcycle rides between shows.

He just hates the daily routines of touring, and being away from his family for prolonged periods.

Honestly, I think Ged and Alex feel that way too. They are just much less vocal about it.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 5 2012, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ May 5 2012, 09:07 AM)

Bingo.

He loves the PLAYING live. He also loves the motorcycle rides between shows.

He just hates the daily routines of touring, and being away from his family for prolonged periods.

Honestly, I think Ged and Alex feel that way too. They are just much less vocal about it.

While touring, Alex goes golfing just to get out of the hotels, just to stay SANE..... yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 5 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (New Digital Man @ May 5 2012, 11:54 AM)

goodpost.gif

eyesre4.gif

You can raise your eyebrows all you want but Neil enjoys the finer things in life and touring allows him financially to indulge these passions, however i do agree that he enjoys playing live!

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 5 2012, 07:07 AM)

This is 100% exactly correct and they have all said the same thing. They have always loved playing live, they just don't enjoy all the tedium of all the rest of what makes up touring. I'm sure touring is endless fun if you're someone like Def Leppard or Kiss who just views it as a drunken party/orgy that goes on for many months at a time. But if you actually have a functional, normal family and have other interests in life most of touring is just something you kind of tolerate. There shouldn't be anything shocking about that.