The Avengers

GeddyLeefan2112

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 12:35 PM)
I'm sure I'm in the minority but most comic book movies don't do much for me. Aren't they over-doing it a little now? Are they going to make a movie on every comic book character ever?

As far as I know there are only 4 Marvel or DC hero flicks this year. If you count superhero movies as a genre unto itself, then I don't think it's a lot.

Besides, they've barely scratched the surface of the amount of superheroes there are.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK....47 year old here, haven't seen it yet, my son did and said it was brilliant.

Here's the question:

I get how Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk can show up and everyone be like "well that is simply awesome!"..... what I don't get is how everyone can say the same thing when Fabio shows up with a large hammer in his hand and it all seem still kick ass... At that point to me I might just start laughing which might rob me of any enjoyment.

Can anyone who has seen this tell me just how a superhero movie stays awesome with a guy with his hammer hanging out with Hulk and Captain America and Iron Man. It seems like Tony Stark would just take one look at that guy and say, Jeezus what is with that hammer dude?"

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 7 2012, 07:25 AM)
OK....47 year old here, haven't seen it yet, my son did and said it was brilliant.

Here's the question:

I get how Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk can show up and everyone be like "well that is simply awesome!"..... what I don't get is how everyone can say the same thing when Fabio shows up with a large hammer in his hand and it all seem still kick ass... At that point to me I might just start laughing which might rob me of any enjoyment.

Can anyone who has seen this tell me just how a superhero movie stays awesome with a guy with his hammer hanging out with Hulk and Captain America and Iron Man. It seems like Tony Stark would just take one look at that guy and say, Jeezus what is with that hammer dude?"

I saw it yesterday, and like everyone else here, I felt..IT WAS AWESOME!!!! 1022.gif

Maybe its cause I grew up a comic book geek, but I love Thor, and thought he was an integral part of the movie considering its his brother who is trying to take over the world and force them to summit to him as slaves.

QUOTE (Tick @ May 7 2012, 06:34 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ May 7 2012, 07:25 AM)

Here's the question:

I get how Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk can show up and everyone be like "well that is simply awesome!".....  what I don't get is how everyone can say the same thing when Fabio shows up with a large hammer in his hand and it all seem still kick ass...  At that point to me I might just start laughing which might rob me of any enjoyment.

Can anyone who has seen this tell me just how a superhero movie stays awesome with a guy with his hammer hanging out with Hulk and Captain America and Iron Man.  It seems like Tony Stark would just take one look at that guy and say, Jeezus what is with that hammer dude?"

I saw it yesterday, and like everyone else here, I felt..IT WAS AWESOME!!!! 1022.gif

Maybe its cause I grew up a comic book geek, but I love Thor, and thought he was an integral part of the movie considering its his brother who is trying to take over the world and force them to summit to him as slaves.

Agreed, Thor was awesome.

What's better is that he was using his lightning powers a LOT this time around, which makes him even more kick ass.

I also like how they showed how heavy his hammer really was. I remember in one of the Avenger cartoons the Hulk couldn't even lift it. So glad they put a nod to that in the movie.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2012, 06:40 AM)
I'd have traded Hawkeye (total bore) and Black Widow (certainly better) for The Vision and Scarlet Witch. Just sayin'...

The movie broke a domestic record for opening day weekend in the $200K range!

I think you mixed your "K" and "M" up!

I thought Hawkeye was better than expected, but yeah I'd rather have Spider Man in the mix.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2012, 08:40 PM)
I'd have traded Hawkeye (total bore) and Black Widow (certainly better) for The Vision and Scarlet Witch. Just sayin'...

Haven't seen the movie yet but the Vision IS the best Avenger of all time. A few years back before this flick got the green light I was thinking they'd go the Ultron/Vision route. But anyway, it sounds like they did an awesome job with the route they ended up taking

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 7 2012, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2012, 08:40 PM)
I'd have traded Hawkeye (total bore) and Black Widow (certainly better) for The Vision and Scarlet Witch.  Just sayin'...

Haven't seen the movie yet but the Vision IS the best Avenger of all time. A few years back before this flick got the green light I was thinking they'd go the Ultron/Vision route. But anyway, it sounds like they did an awesome job with the route they ended up taking

Well you can't have everything. It's like plucking out members of the X-Men for a film. biggrin.gif And there have been a LOT of Avengers over the years too. Hawkeye was a bit of tits on a boar to me...pretty useless. Still the rest were great. Worth it for Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and The Hulk alone. Could've been just those four and I'd have been happy.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2012, 07:40 AM)

Scarlet Johanson's butt in 3D alone made her worthy of being in the film. 1022.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 7 2012, 07:47 AM)
I'd have traded Hawkeye (total bore) and Black Widow (certainly better) for The Vision and Scarlet Witch.  Just sayin'...

I thought Hawkeye was better than expected, but yeah I'd rather have Spider Man in the mix.

No on Spiderman! HE IS NOT AN AVENGER! SACRILEGE! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ May 7 2012, 07:03 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2012, 07:40 AM)

Scarlet Johanson's butt in 3D alone made her worthy of being in the film. 1022.gif tongue.gif

Indeed.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 7 2012, 06:47 AM)

I did!! You're right. That would be a terrible opening, wouldn't it? biggrin.gif

Thanks for the correction.

I think the only thing that could top this is an epic Infinity Gauntlet movie. That would be batshit insane and I'm not sure if they could pull it off, but sweet Jebus, I hope they try.

http://i.imgur.com/Z3fLm.jpg

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 7 2012, 09:50 PM)
I think the only thing that could top this is an epic Infinity Gauntlet movie. That would be batshit insane and I'm not sure if they could pull it off, but sweet Jebus, I hope they try.

http://i.imgur.com/Z3fLm.jpg

If you're going to go cosmic (and specifically with Avengers' members), then do this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/jlaavenger/46d01710.jpg

Actually, I'd rather not see either in live-action (just waaaaay too many characters for audiences). Both Infinity Gauntlet & the Korvac Saga would be better as one of Marvel's straight to dvd animated films (but with violence at least on par with something like the "Hulk vs." dvd)

The more I think about it, the more I really think the well placed humor made this movie. Yeah, there was action and everything you'd expect, but the humor, and especially the placement and delivery of the humor, absolutely made the movie for me. I would say Stark had the majority of it, but the rest of the cast each had a funny moment or two. So many times action movies force humor into movies and it feels out of place. A subtle $10 exchange was laden with humor, even the "so that's what it does" line was funny, and not at all corny.

I loved it. Top flight entertainment. And it's funny. But, I didn't walk out of the theater thinking it was the greatest superhero movie of all-time. It's certainly up there, though. Again, I LOVED it.