The Godfather

Principled Man

My 15-year old nephew was initiated into the Corleone universe today. Had to help him through it here and there..... tongue.gif tongue.gif He's not yet wise to the mindset of Mafiosos and how they do "Business"......

He is officially HOOKED..... laugh.gif laugh.gif He wants to see Part II tomorrow.....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 29 2012, 10:17 PM)
My 15-year old nephew was initiated into the Corleone universe today. Had to help him through it here and there..... tongue.gif tongue.gif He's not yet wise to the mindset of Mafiosos and how they do "Business"......

He is officially HOOKED..... laugh.gif laugh.gif He wants to see Part II tomorrow.....

Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 29 2012, 09:29 PM)
My 15-year old nephew was initiated into the Corleone universe today.  Had to help him through it here and there..... tongue.gif  tongue.gif  He's not yet wise to the mindset of Mafiosos and how they do "Business"......

He is officially HOOKED..... laugh.gif  laugh.gif  He wants to see Part II tomorrow.....

He's already adopted this as his favorite line ever.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

The horse head blew him away.

Apollonia in the nude made him very anxious..... rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

The Baptism at the end had him in awe.

And then we discussed which of the mafiosos were "decent guys" and which ones "had it coming".....like CARLO..... waffen093.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 29 2012, 09:29 PM)
My 15-year old nephew was initiated into the Corleone universe today.  Had to help him through it here and there..... tongue.gif  tongue.gif  He's not yet wise to the mindset of Mafiosos and how they do "Business"......

He is officially HOOKED..... laugh.gif  laugh.gif  He wants to see Part II tomorrow.....

rofl3.gif

I can't deny the utter brilliance of The Godfather Part II. It's incredible. But I enjoy The Godfather much more. Why? It has a sense of humor and campiness that is wonderful and is lacking in the sequels. As the "Leave the gun, take the cannoli" line so marvelously represents.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 30 2012, 02:27 PM)
I can't deny the utter brilliance of The Godfather Part II. It's incredible. But I enjoy The Godfather much more. Why? It has a sense of humor and campiness that is wonderful and is lacking in the sequels. As the "Leave the gun, take the cannoli" line so marvelously represents.

Personally, I saw no campiness in The Godfather. I saw the cannoli scene and others like it as brilliant irony. That grown men - "family men" - care more about a pastry than a gun and a guy they just murdered, is frightingly ironic. It also shows the sadistic hypocrisy of mobsters; they're caring, yet perfectly willing to kill anyone who went against their interests. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 30 2012, 03:40 PM)

Personally, I saw no campiness in The Godfather. I saw the cannoli scene and others like it as brilliant irony. That grown men - "family men" - care more about a pastry than a gun and a guy they just murdered, is frightingly ironic. It also shows the sadistic hypocrisy of mobsters; they're caring, yet perfectly willing to kill anyone who went against their interests. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

You don't think Caan's performance bordered on campiness? I probably used the wrong word and should've stuck with just the sense of humor.

I agree with you on your points. The irony is funny. I can't help but laugh. That's missing from the sequels. I'm nitpicking, of course.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 30 2012, 12:27 PM)

I think the second one is great, but I also greatly prefer the first one.

I gotta say though, as much as I love The Godfather, and as much as it's an all-out classic, I still think Goodfellas is even better. yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 29 2012, 07:17 PM)

Don't ever take sides against the family. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 30 2012, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 29 2012, 07:17 PM)

Don't ever take sides against the family. no.gif

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Words to live by.

I really enjoy the parts of II that go back in time that show how Vito came into power.

Both movies are phenomenal. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 30 2012, 09:23 PM)
I really enjoy the parts of II that go back in time that show how Vito came into power.

Both movies are phenomenal. 1022.gif

The movies, worrisome that they were too dark at the time, are to me a visual feast. I love the scene where Don Fanucci is tapping the light with his finger and the light comes on and goes off, illuminating Bobby DeNiro with his gun and towel-silencer. Then he does the deed, smartly destroys the evidence, then sits on the stoop with his family and tells little baby Michael that he loves him.

Wow.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 30 2012, 03:14 PM)
You don't think Caan's performance bordered on campiness? I probably used the wrong word and should've stuck with just the sense of humor.

As I grew up in a predominantly Italian-Catholic family, I can tell you that men like Santino Corleone do exist. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif Caan portrayed the hot-headed eldest son perfectly, IMO. Flying off the handle, protective yet bully-like....and not too smart..... laugh.gif laugh.gif That hot Italian temper is REAL, let me assure you! laugh.gif laugh.gif I found other Mafia films to be pretty campy, but The Godfather seemed like real life to me.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 30 2012, 04:14 PM)

I agree with you on your points. The irony is funny. I can't help but laugh. That's missing from the sequels. I'm nitpicking, of course.

My problem with Caan is I have a difficult time buying him as Sicilian.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 30 2012, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 30 2012, 04:14 PM)

My problem with Caan is I have a difficult time buying him as Sicilian.

My mom, also Italian, is the same way. She just can't picture James Caan as an Italian. That beatdown of his brother in law by the fire hydrant is a classic scene though.

Funny how Paramount wanted leading men types like Redford, O'Neal and Beatty as Michael Corleone. Redford as a gangster and an Italian one at that back then? Puhleaze! rofl3.gif

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 30 2012, 05:39 PM)

I gotta say though, as much as I love The Godfather, and as much as it's an all-out classic, I still think Goodfellas is even better. yes.gif 1022.gif

Right there with you. I love The Godfather, but yeah Goodfellas is the better film to me too. To me Goodfellas is the greatest gangster/mafia film ever made! Now get your fukking shinebox! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 1 2012, 11:37 PM)

Right there with you. I love The Godfather, but yeah Goodfellas is the better film to me too. To me Goodfellas is the greatest gangster/mafia film ever made! Now get your fukking shinebox! trink39.gif

Didn't care much for Ray Liotta who also happens to be in about every scene.

If not for that I might agree with you. Pesci with one of the greatest performance of all-time!

"What do you mean funny? Funny like a clown?"

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 2 2012, 12:47 AM)

If not for that I might agree with you. Pesci with one of the greatest performance of all-time!

Funny thing is that this movie should've mada Liotta a huge star, but after this film his career pretty much went nowhere. "How the fukk am I funny?" rofl3.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 2 2012, 12:47 AM)

"Oklahoma kid. That's me. I'm the Oklahoma kid. You f-ckin' varmint! Dance. Dance. YAHOO, YA MOTHER F-CKER!" rofl3.gif