For what its worth

Nuts&Bolts

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love Dream Theater, and I would love to see them open for Rush...it just doesn't feel right to see someone open for Rush anymore.

Maybe if it was a festival show and Rush was headlining and DT go on right before them, that would be friggin' sweet. But as for a whole tour, I just don't want to see it

Nothing against DT or anyone who is a fan of theirs but they shouldn't be sharing a stage with Rush. Influence and the so-called great debate about weather or not Mike Portnoy is better than Neil Peart (which personally I find laughable) aside, they have no business opening for one of the greatest bands of all-time.

I, too, would sell my ticket the day of that announcement.

Like I said earlier in the thread it's not going to happen THIS year... that being said I wouldnt be surprised at all if RoadRunner lobbies to put together a tour of their proggy bands next summer.

A 1 month shed tour with some combination of;

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree

Opeth

And possibly;

Nightwish and/or Trivium as openers

All of this with RUSH as the headliner.

It would be a win/win/win for all involved... except the most die-hard RUSH fans would be put off with the 2 hour set instead of the 2:25 or so we'll be getting in the new fangled "Evening with..." format.

last opener I saw was Primus, and that was awesome but...

dont see that ever happening again.

but Ill echo the rumored RUSH sentiment on DT

why does it take 5 guys to make the same music we can make with 3

QUOTE (Nuts&Bolts @ Apr 24 2012, 09:13 PM)
Have a cousin, was and still is a long time Rush fan, that has defected to DT as his favourite band, messaged me sayin he heard that DT might tour with Rush. Anyone heard this??? I personally dont believe it.

This would be awesome if true, DT is one of my favorite bands. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Nuts&Bolts @ Apr 24 2012, 09:13 PM)
Have a cousin, was and still is a long time Rush fan, that has defected to DT as his favourite band, messaged me sayin he heard that DT might tour with Rush. Anyone heard this??? I personally dont believe it.

Now let's don't be silly tongue.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Apr 25 2012, 06:50 AM)
why does it take 5 guys to make the same music we can make with 3

Dude I LOVE Rush, but have you heard DT's music?

Complicated as shit, they do with 5 people what others probably couldn't do with 10.

Dont believe it for 1 second. In the early-mid 90s, sure it would have made sense when DT was still relevant, but not now.

First of all I used to be a huge DT fan, but they are horrendous now. They dont even deserve to open for Rush these days. And second, Rush has just way too much music to only play for an hour and a half.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 25 2012, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 25 2012, 07:23 AM)
. . . but have you heard DT's music?

Unfortunately, yes.

Dream Theatre will not open for Rush, and neither will anyone else.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8651/eveningwith.jpg

Pretty much ends this thread. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 25 2012, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 25 2012, 08:51 AM)

Dream Theatre will not open for Rush, and neither will anyone else.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8651/eveningwith.jpg

Pretty much ends this thread.

And, yet . . .

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Apr 25 2012, 08:58 AM)
I can't see them bringing ANY opening band unless they get so old that they can't play a 2 1/2 hour set anymore, and at that point I'd imagine they'd retire instead.  But who knows?

I'll tell you who knows, since you asked. The band, their management, the promoters, LiveNation & TicketMaster that are selling tickets, and the company that put together the ads for the tour. You know, the one that reads "AN EVENING WITH RUSH." If you're new to Rush's concert scene, when it reads "An Evening with Rush" on the ticket (or in the ad) instead of "With special guest, Blue Oyster Cult" it means the only band you will see that night at the venue for which your purchased a ticket will be Rush. (Disclaimer: Does not exclude the option to have guest musicians during Rush songs or possible orchestration.)

Why would anyone want any band to open for Rush ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 25 2012, 09:47 AM)
Why would anyone want any band to open for Rush ?

Maybe "The Geddy Lee Experience feat. special guests Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart"