Headlong Flight's waveform

danielmclark

I downloaded the FLV file stream from the Rolling Stone Website, the container have a mp3 file at 160kbps/44khz.

The mastering is poor. Sad but true:

user posted image

Here the spectrum in ZOOM OUT form:

user posted image

Pure shit. Maybe the single version was mastered loud to internet and radios. But if this mastering will be the same in the full album, will be a shame

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're analyzing this before it's actually been released..

Like analyzing the sound quality of a Live recording straight off the soundboard.. sarcasm.gif

Despite the low bit rate, I really do expect the high quality rip to show a similar wave.

I think those that have an issue with the loudness, will probably continue to have an issue. At least the higher quality rip will be less compressed and more clear.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 03:50 PM)
And STILL nowhere near as muddy and indistinctive sounding as Vapor Trails, no matter how their "waveforms" may compare. I can hear bass guitar on Headlong Flight. I hear rumors that there's bass on VT.

forgot to quote xD

Doesn't your wave form have something to do with your input levels when you recorded it? I recorded it the first time I listened to it but I took care to adjust the input level first and this is what I got. Sounds fine to me. Not brick walled and nothing like VT, and what's already been said that it's a Stream not the actual rip or CD quality. confused13.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/biffmalibu01012/Rush%20forum/HLFW.jpg

QUOTE (hunter @ Apr 19 2012, 08:58 AM)
Doesn't your wave form have something to do with your input levels when you recorded it? I recorded it the first time I listened to it but I took care to adjust the input level first and this is what I got. Sounds fine to me. Not brick walled and nothing like VT, and what's already been said that it's a Stream not the actual rip or CD quality. confused13.gif

I think this is correct.

We shall see when we get a V0 or 320 release. I was expecting the wave to be similar, just by listening to it (gauging the loudness).

But your chart is interesting. To be honest, I've never really compared stream rips or even looked at charts with streams, because they are usually low quality. So I never thought about the wave form being affected by how you record it. But that makes sense.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

I am not familiar with waveforms. Is is being used as a measure of song quality, or production quality, or format quality?

What exactly is it measuring- just the amplitude of each note?

How do you interpret one of these reading in order to decide that a song is of the a quality you are looking for? Do you want a song with a distinct range between the highest and lowest peaks, regardless of volume?

I've never been one to cling onto singles.

Really should just wait for the album to come out, then make all judgements and do all the analyzing.

And despite what these waveforms indicate, I don't recall any annoying clipping while listening to the single.

QUOTE (hunter @ Apr 19 2012, 11:58 AM)

I dont recorded, i downloaded de FLV file. And today i downloaded the official version from the youtube and the waveform is the same.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 18 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 18 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 03:50 PM)
...I hear rumors that there's bass on VT.

you ought to get your hearing checked, then

laugh.gif

Alright, to be fair, VT is incredibly bassy-sounding, but there's just no definition to its sound because of the poor mixing. No pop, no zing. It just blends in with the guitar.

That's what I meant. It's a muddy blur and nothing highly distinctive at all, except for the headache I get after listening to it with headphones on.. My washing machine has a clearer bass tone than that record.

Headlong Flight, however -- brickwalled or not -- has a distinct and clear and separated bass.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Don't know if I've obtained a bad rip or what, but I find it extremely tiring even after one listen. The cymbals are clipping terribly.

Really, really disappointed if the final mixes are like this. Yes, you can hear the bass better, but everything else is only marginally better than the VT mixes are.

It's too bad because I really do like the song.

QUOTE (brunosamppa @ Apr 20 2012, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 20 2012, 12:35 PM)
what did the wavforms of Caravan and BU2B look like?!?

The Single Caravan/BU2B was mastered by Ted Jensen (from the Iron Maiden Death Magnetic fame) facepalm.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Sorry...where were these two taken from?

Is one from the CD and one from the Vinyl? confused13.gif

QUOTE (brunosamppa @ Apr 20 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 20 2012, 12:35 PM)
what did the wavforms of Caravan and BU2B look like?!?

The Single Caravan/BU2B was mastered by Ted Jensen (from the Iron Maiden Death Magnetic fame) facepalm.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Jensen shouldn't be blamed for Death Magnetic. He has already gone on record a ton of times saying that when he got the tracks, they were lost causes even before he received them. That's how bad they were.