Rate Roll The Bones

Gompers

How do you rate Roll The Bones?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Roll The Bones?

(Working backwards on these polls I guess.)

After Presto, I became pretty discouraged with Rush because of the poor "tinny" mix and some cheesy songs. Then came Roll The Bones. The shock of this release to me was the "spoken word" part of the title track. I know it wasn't rap but for the tight assed white male, it was close enough. I almost dismissed Rush because of it. Good thing I listened to the whole release before doing so. RTB became salvageable. Here is my take on the songs:

The Great

-Ghost of a Chance

-Bravado

The Good

-Dreamline

-Roll the Bones

-Where's My Thing?, Pt. 4: Gangster of Boats Trilogy

The OK

-You Bet Your Life

The Not So OK

-Face Up

-The Big Wheel

-Heresy

-Neurotica

Overall rating = 6 (maybe 6.5)

The Great

The Good

-Ghost of a Chance

-Bravado

-Dreamline

The OK

The Not So OK

-Roll the Bones

-Where's My Thing

-You Bet Your Life

-Face Up

-The Big Wheel

-Heresy

-Neurotica

Overall rating = 2 (feeling generous today)

As an aside, Face Up may be the most vanilla, benign, milquetoast, flavorless song they've ever done. Not BAD, mind you. Nothing Dog Years about it. No embarrassment. Nothing offensive, really...just almost fatally boring. Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 10 2012, 01:25 PM)
As an aside, Face Up may be the most vanilla, benign, milquetoast, flavorless song they've ever done. Not BAD, mind you. Nothing Dog Years about it. No embarrassment. Nothing offensive, really...just almost fatally boring.

i think there's no comparison to dog years because i like dog years, but yes it's incredibly boring, bland, and flavorless.

I gave it a 7.

I really enjoy Bravado, Roll The Bones, Dreamline, and Ghost of a Chance.

Heresy and Where's My Thing are OK.

The rest is mediocre at best.

You Bet Your Life is my favorite song on this album; perhaps that says a lot about what I think of it. But I actually do like all the songs to some extent except for Heresy, with the title track and The Big Wheel ranking among the best of the bunch. However, I don't consider any of them to be truly essential, not "even" YBYL (though I do find it quite catchy). And the way the album was produced causes some tunes to sound terribly weak, especially when compared with some of their recorded-live counterparts (Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance immediately come to mind). So, while I can't be too hard on the record (since I do dig ninety percent of the tunes to some degree), I also can't give it a particularly high grade (since I wouldn't think it a tragedy if I could never listen to it again). I'll go with 6.

6. I like it. Also, mind you, while 6/10 might seem low, this is relative to Rush's whole catalog. If I was scoring it relative to all albums in the world I'd give it an 8, but relative to Rush it's a 6.

I like hip hop, so the skeleton rap has never bothered me. In fact, "Roll The Bones" is one of my favorite Rush tracks.

I also like Dreamline, Bravado, Face Up, Where's My Thing, and Ghost of a Chance. The live version of that last tune from Retrospective III sounds great too! A lot better than the album original.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 10 2012, 01:31 PM)
I also like Dreamline, Bravado, Face Up, Where's My Thing, and Ghost of a Chance. The live version of that last tune from Retrospective III sounds great too! A lot better than the album original.

Absolutely right about the Retro 3 version of Ghost. Similarly, the Different Stages rendition of Dreamline puts the studio version to shame.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Apr 10 2012, 01:34 PM)

Absolutely right about the Retro 3 version of Ghost. Similarly, the Different Stages rendition of Dreamline puts the studio version to shame.

I don't have Different Stages, but I believe it!

Dreamline was one of the highlights of the show when I caught the S&A tour!

Gave it a 4.

Sound is too thin. No balls. -2 right off the bat. And I'm just not crazy about half the songs.

Top Tier:

-Where's My Thing?

-Dreamline

-Ghost Of A Chance

Middle Tier:

-Bravado

-The Big Wheel

Lower Tier:

-Heresy

-Roll the Bones

-You Bet Your Life

-Face Up

-Neurotica

Mind you, this album's top tier is not the same as the top tier on, say, Permanent Waves.

I do think "Where's My Thing?" is a real good one, though. Listened to it recently and I think it's a very well put together instrumental.

6. I like it. Also, mind you, while 6/10 might seem low, this is relative to Rush's whole catalog. If I was scoring it relative to all albums in the world I'd give it an 8, but relative to Rush it's a 6.

I like hip hop, so the skeleton rap has never bothered me. In fact, "Roll The Bones" is one of my favorite Rush tracks.

Good points here.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 10 2012, 02:20 PM)
Funny how much the band (Geddy esp?) seems to love this record.

I'm guessing it's because (as was mentioned in another thread) it's a fun album. It's high-energy and has a lot of engaging grooves/rhythms. It's probably fun to play too.

Or, the more cynical reason is that (according to Wikipedia) it's the only Rush album to go platinum in the US since Power Windows....

The Great

None

The Good

Bravado

The Okay

Ghost Of A Chance

Heresy

Roll The Bones

The What-the-f**k-were-they-thinking

Neurotica

Dreamline

You Bet Your Life

The Big Wheel

Face Up

Where's My Thing?

Horrible album. Gave it a 3/10. Bravado is the clear standout, and Ghost Of A Chance is boring aside from the guitar solo. They really got their shit together with Counterparts.

The great:

Dreamline

Bravado

The good:

The Big Wheel

The Ok

Roll the Bones (if not for the "rap" portion it might have qualified as "good'

Ghost of a Chance

The not so ok:

Face Up

Where's my Thing

Heresy

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

The bad

Nothing

Gave it a 4. Only 3 albums rank lower with me (VT, CoS and ST)